Letting Agent not protected tenants deposits (M&W Lettings)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bringing St Leonard's into the 21st century one house at a time

Location St Leonards, East Sussex, United Kingdom (Tonbridge, United Kingdom) Industry Real Estate Jon Clements's Overview

Current

• Director at M&W Sales and Lettings ltd

Past

• Physical commodity Trading 07930 460338 at Arlington Commodities Ltd
  • Sales Trader European Equities. at BTIG
  • VP and Senior Trader, European Equity Trading at AllianceBernstein

see less

see all

Education

M & W lettings has only been in existence since May 2013

JC and LS are the sole directors.

Edited by ims21

Just feeding in further info re: website.

Paddock Wood office = mandwresidentiallettings.co.uk

St Leonards office = mandwsalesandlettings.co.uk

JC is based (see Team) in St Leonards and is still a director of Paddock Wood according to Companies House listing. LS is based in Paddock Wood. Both look similar on the websites but seem to have different listings/registered details at Companies House.

There were two agencies originally but the St Leonards one has recently been renamed and registered M&W Sales and Lettings.

there are actually three companies listed M&W SALES AND LETTINGS LLP, M&W SALES AND LETTINGS (ST LEONARDS) LTD, & M&W PROPERTY CONSULTANTS LTD but only two websites I have seen which I list on my previous post

M&W Property Consultants Ltd - 08522837 - Active

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/08522837/MW-PROPERTY-CONSULTANTS-LTD/directors-secretaries

M&W Sales & Lettings LLP - OC385074 - Active

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/OC385074/MW-SALES-AND-LETTINGS-LLP/directors-secretaries

Arlington Commodities Ltd - 08195986 - Dissolved

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/08195986/ARLINGTON-COMMODITIES-LTD/directors-secretaries

Look at the Directors Names

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Does anyone know how to find out if a company is VAT registered? I know one LL who battled for a refund from M&W and the withheld the VAT element. It occurs to me that I've never seen a VAT number, have just gone through documents from them and there is no number listed on their letterheads.

Check on their website as they should display the VAT number I think. I can't see how they can charge VAT on the deposit as this isn't income - her charge may incur VAT if she is registered? Check these out for information:

accountingweb.co.uk/anyanswers/it-possible-find-out-if-company-vat-registered

hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm

Relevant parts on the HMRC link above :

VAT on bills and receipts

Most retail prices on bills and receipts include VAT - it is not shown separately. However, some may also show the VAT element as a separate line.

This doesn't mean you're being charged extra - it just shows how much tax is included in the price.

Non-retail invoices from VAT-registered suppliers - for example from builders, or painters and decorators who are VAT registered - must show a separate amount for VAT.

They must also show the nine-digit VAT Registration Number of the business.

How to check if a VAT number is valid

You can check whether a UK VAT number is valid by following the link below:

Check a UK VAT registration number

If you suspect a VAT fraud

If you suspect that a firm is avoiding paying VAT, or charging VAT when they aren't VAT registered, you can report them to HMRC

by calling the free Customs Hotline. You don't have to give your name or any personal details.

IIRC the turnover has to be more than £100k/year to be registered or liable for VAT.

Anyway that really is not the issue; Trading standards and Police should be informed of their fraud and business activities.

Also all the properties they deal with must have an EPC to go with them and that is also regulated by Trading Standards.

I have looked at an invoice that I received from M&W some months ago on which they charged VAT. The invoice does not state their VAT number which it is legally required to do if it is VAT registered. So either they are not registered for VAT but fraudulently adding VAT or they have merely omitted to include the VAT number which is a technical breach and a lot less serious.

I supplied them with an EPC on my property but have notified Trading Standards because of a number of issues I have had with M&W not dissimilar to those mentioned by others on this site.

I understand that at least one of their registered companies is registered for VAT and it seems to still be valid so they should have been charging, and passing the VAT onto HMRC and also providing any relevant VAT refunds.

If we assume they are VAT registered, and assume the company that is registered was the one that charged for VAT, then all is fine.

Can we get the correct name of the company that is registered and the name on the invoice you received GroanUp to see if they match.

Further question, if they charged a fee of XXXX = VAT and there was a refund on that fee, would they be legally in the clear if they withheld the VAT element refund?

Would they not also need to refund the amount of VAT they charged, because that is a % of the fee, then claim this back on their next VAT submission?

As consumers, this is a real bit of money, as a VAT registered business, it's a paper exercise unless the company buys in goods, which they presumably don't in large quantities.

The invoice which was dated January this year and was issued by M&W Property Consultants Limited. I was mistaken and I have just noticed the following VAT number 161 5137 31 on the invoice.

The correspondence from mydeposit refers to M&W Residential Lettings and the unsigned terms and conditions that M&W issued refers only to M&W and not to a company. Another reason I think why those terms and conditions are invalid.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks