Land Owner Question

tezza1234
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3909 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I thought you said it was valuable.

Yes it is but i still dont have capital to be throwing at it, i wish i did, never the less it wouldn't go to me it would go to mum and here brothers/sisters and she has no capital to be throwing at it either :(

I am the best on the computer and most resourceful but i am struggling

Is it a village you could get to? Maybe you could there and ask around?

In terms of genealogy websites, most charge. Ancestry normally do a 2 week free trial. What is it you're looking for?

HB

Yes i can go there, its not that far from me, not much there though so not sure what id find out, Just wanted to be nosey really and do a bit of family history work

I'm an amateur genealogist and I think if you're searching for a needle in a haystack, you need to explore as many avenues as possible.

What sort of family history work are you looking at? In the village, you might not find much more than gravestones, unless people at the pub remember your grandfather.

To do family history properly, unless you're lucky enough to stumble across a private website that sets out your family [and even then, some of them aren't accurate so you need to doublecheck], you need to buy certificates from the government department whose name I've forgotten temporarily.

I think you might need to spell out what you're trying to do in order to have more help.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

The name I couldn't remember is the General Registry Office. Never order certificates through another website, it can cost a fortune.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

HB

Thank you so much HB, i was just thinking of doing a family tree type thing, I know mum has/had lots of brothers and sisters of whom many are not around anymore and i only ever knew them by a nickname, Our family arnt that great about talking about things like that, not sure why, i just figured it would give me something to do and may also unearth something, I really appreciate the link above, thank you :)

Even if your family don't talk about 'that sort of thing', if you sit them down and ask questions about who people's parents, brothers and sisters are, it's the start of your family tree.

The only truly free family history resource I know of is the Mormons, but their information is mostly pre-1900. You need to start from now and work backwards through the generations. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Even if your family don't talk about 'that sort of thing', if you sit them down and ask questions about who people's parents, brothers and sisters are, it's the start of your family tree.

The only truly free family history resource I know of is the Mormons, but their information is mostly pre-1900. You need to start from now and work backwards through the generations. :)

HB

Once again super advice, thank you, I have started the free trial on ancestry also :)

Ok so some further news, it's complicated and scatty and I'm on phone so bear with me, it would appear that when my grand father died the 2 oldest siblings were in prison so they signed and my mum signed power of attorney or probate or something, ad there was no will left, she spread out what was known about left by grand father, from what I can gather this piece if land is over 1 acre and the half that grandfather's brother sold has planning permission and is being built on and grandfathers plot which was purchased in the mid 60's so will be registered is fenced off, I have a better idea if where it is so need to check with the land registry