style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4053 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well the ex miners I know seem to have done all right!! perhaps it depends on the area don't know, ex husband was a dustman in 70s and 80s so I had to listen to an awful lot of union talk, still lost his job though.

Got to say though she couldn't have done what she did without the rest of the party they had to vote for her policies so you cant really say it was down to one person.

But RIP and I do think she was important enough to warrant a public funeral.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Assisted Blonde.

Not many ex miners/ steelworkers could buy their houses due to them becoming jobless and having to go on the dole. Thus starting the generation of state dependancy who the Tory party are now further stigmatising. I am happy that some people gained but the vast majority did not. As for Churchill being a great leader, in my opinion he was during the war but didn't he get voted out in 1945?

Arthur Scargill did very nicely out of his position.. have the union finally ceased paying for his Barbican residence ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Arthur Scargill did very nicely out of his position.. have the union finally ceased paying for his Barbican residence ?

Arthur was always going to be OK. And of course, his prediction of all the mines being shut down became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Scargill was almost single-handedly responsible for the destruction of the mining industry in this country, but he's alright Jack.

Let's not forget it was Scargill who didn't ballot the entire union before the strike started, and Scargill who dragged it on and on. He was sitting pretty while the miners were in many cases being forced to strike by other miners, even if they didn't want to. The level of violence and intimidation between miners is what I will always remember.

The way Harold Wilson used to pander to union leaders at 10 Downing Street was sickening. Margaret Thatcher made mistakes, but thank heavens she stopped the unions holding the country to ransom as they used to.

Let's not forget it was Scargill who didn't ballot the entire union before the strike started, and Scargill who dragged it on and on. He was sitting pretty while the miners were in many cases being forced to strike by other miners, even if they didn't want to. The level of violence and intimidation between miners is what I will always remember.

The way Harold Wilson used to pander to union leaders at 10 Downing Street was sickening. Margaret Thatcher made mistakes, but thank heavens she stopped the unions holding the country to ransom as they used to.

Absolutely right.

On the steps of Number 10, she quoted from St Francis of Assisi: "Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope." Shame she did exactly the oposite.And just to rectify a common mistake,Scargill didnt call the strike,he wasnt even in the room when a vote was cast.Nottinghamshire miners had a vote wether to strike or not and the majoritory of Notts pits voted to work ,My colliery Moogreen voted to strike,the coalboard told every man over 55 at Moorgreen they could leave with a pension of £120 a week,which stopped the action at Moogreen.Many Notts miners did strike despite what the media said.Linby Colliery still had half the workforce on strike at the end.The recent BBC film still showed the film out of the order it was filmed to show the miners attacking the police when it was the other way round.

Living in the wild windy west of Ireland

I agree the police didn't come out of that episode with clean hands at all. The level of violence from all sides was quite shocking.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

And most people forget the Miners strike was about jobs,not money.The Notts miners who went with the UDM ended up with a recently convicted theif Niel Greatrex who stole money from the Miners convalescent home and also ended up with no pits and no jobs.I wonder what they think about Margarets demise.

The Miners' strike was about bringing down the elected government. Nothing more, nothing less.
Totally agree with you.

And if Scargill wasn't in the room when the vote was cast he was certainly responsible for leading the strike. Thousands of miners and their families lived in desperate circumstances during the strike. Many could have gone back to work. Some pits had to go because they were not economically viable - hard but true. Looking back now it seems impossible to imagine so many people putting themselves through so much misery because one man virtually ordered them to do so.

Obviously you have read only propaganda from the tories,the strike was enginnered by Thatcher and her cronies.However history proves otherwise,and it wont half be interesting in a few years time when the archives are accesable unless of course they dont open them .As they say I was there and have the T shirt.

I always remember the look on Margaret Thatcher's face in the car when leaving Downing street for the last time. It was a look that said she felt betrayed. Was she ever the same after that ?

I'm sure she felt betrayed, and it's not as though the Tories had anyone with any charisma to replace her. Love her or hate her, she had a presence. She won three elections. I'm not surprised the Tories are having so many problems today.

Obviously you have read only propaganda from the tories,the strike was enginnered by Thatcher and her cronies.However history proves otherwise,and it wont half be interesting in a few years time when the archives are accesable unless of course they dont open them .As they say I was there and have the T shirt.

Why did the Government want a miners' strike?

If Scargill and the miners thought Mrs Thatcher & co wanted a strike why didn't they do what she didn't want and go back to work?

If Scargill and the miners thought Mrs Thatcher & co wanted a strike why didn't they do what she didn't want and go back to work?

Would have made sense.. I do like a good conspiracy theory though :lol:

BCOBS

As far as Scargill was concerned, it was a willy-waving contest. Turned out Thatcher had a bigger one.

Totally agree with you.

And if Scargill wasn't in the room when the vote was cast he was certainly responsible for leading the strike. Thousands of miners and their families lived in desperate circumstances during the strike. Many could have gone back to work. Some pits had to go because they were not economically viable - hard but true. Looking back now it seems impossible to imagine so many people putting themselves through so much misery because one man virtually ordered them to do so.

I was no more a fan of Scargill than Thatcher but I think you underestimate the miners strength of feeling and ability to think for themselves.

I work with a man from the north east and asked how he felt about maggie's death. His reply - I'm from Tyneside. Do you really need to ask?

I am utterly appalled that in these austere times, we are expected to foot the bill for her funeral.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

in her own bed at home

why should the tax payer be picking up the tab for her funeral when she has been staying at the RITZ for a month

do you know how much it cost a day, let alone a month at the RITZ

but we are in it all together, are we not

• Haha 1