YELLOW DOG UK: For the dog who needs space

jackieandwayne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all CAG dog owners/lovers. Could I ask that you spare a moment to click on the link below and have a quick read?

www.yellowdoguk.co.uk

This is a fantastic, international scheme to help everyone who has a dog needing space when out. Yellow is the internationally recognised colour for caution.

If you see a dog wearing a yellow ribbon or bandana, the owner is alerting you to the fact that this dog needs some space. The dog could be unwell, getting over an operation, be unfriendly towards other dogs for a variety of reasons, most of which will be associated with fear, or it could be that this is a rescue dog and the owner and dog are getting to know each other.

Anyone who has a dog that needs space will welcome this idea. There is nothing worse than the feeling of a dog bounding towards you and your unsociable dog when out. The Yellow Dog UK campaign is designed to make these encounters a thing of the past by alerting other owners and the public to give the dog the space it needs.

The campaign is NOT about aggressive or dangerous dogs – this is only for dogs that need space. I do hope you feel able to support this scheme, I think its very much needed and should certainly help everyone to know when a dog needs some space.

Thanks for reading

cleardot.gif

It sounds like a good idea to me :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Oh, it will take off, its just a brilliant idea. I was reading on their blog, and it brought it home to me the amount of owners struggling out there. Its such a shame.

I always make a point of keeping Taz away from an owner/dog who clearly has a problem, I know just how much fear of "IT happening again" affects owners and therefore the dogs. But a huge pat on the back to these owners for never giving up.

I just greet ALL dog owners, whatever they have, whatever their dog is doing, and they in turn start to greet me back. This becomes a regular thing, and hey ho, before you know it, it becomes a regular and normal thing for the dog. I'd say always greet the owner, from a safe distance, and if you see a dog with the yellow ribbon or bandana, give them the thumbs up for being responsible and alerting everyone that their dog needs space. This alone gives the owners a bit more confidence, and that can only affect their dog!

What a top idea - I'll have to let my sister know about this, she has a very elderly staffie who doesn't like to 'play' on account of his dodgy hips. He's soft as muck really and has never actually attacked another dog, but people tend to panic when a staffie starts snarling.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

My last dog, Dennis, when he got to 13 he got a little bit of alzhiemers I think, and went from being very sociable to not wanting a dog near him. He took to charging at them in full attack mode, except he had no teeth and arthritis as well! But it would have been nice for him to wear a recognisable ribbon, and for other dogs to stay away, just for his peace of mind. (Well, the other half reckons Dennis used to enjoy it, but I don;t think so).

How funny, I was just saying to my husband this evening I wish there was some way of identifying unsociable dogs. Our staffyxcollie got bitten by another dog at agility once and has never been the same since, she gets on the defensive straight away. We have 2 dogs so the other protects her. Awful when we're walking on leads and another dog comes bounding over, owner miles away shouting "it's ok, he's friendly" while my two are going off on one...

I like the idea of the bandanas which are easily spotted from a distance. I will be spreading the word about this, thanks for highlighting it!

I agree its a nightmare when you have a grumpy dog on a lead and another runs up to it. It can also be extremely dangerous for the owner of the grumpy dog.

I don;t think owners with problem dogs admit this as much as they should, because its a horrible thing to have done to you by something you love. However, it can happen that a restrained dog, in a blind panic (and particularly a newly rescued dog who hasn't sussed you out yet) can turn on the owner in a flash and deliver a nasty bite. Because your dog is restrained, and has now got into a blind panic, (flight or fight) he could turn on the thing that he feels is endangering his life by restraining him. That will be the owner and the bite is usually delivered straight to the thigh - it bloody well hurts and it bleeds like b*****y as well. Lovely. And after this, how difficult to repair the relationship.

Even more reason, when seeing a dog wearing yellow, please think about these sorts of things, and keep your dog under control. But still give the owner a huge thumbs up!

Just to liven it up - Sunday afternoon on the local beach with mother-in-law and her dog was hysterically funny. No serious harm was done I must point out!

M-in=law insists that little Prince (cavalier) is a devil with other dogs. Nonsense, he's a dollop. (Mother-in-law is afraid of other dogs). Now little Prince is terrified of huskies in particular - (mother in-law is terrrified of huskies in particular) so along comes a lovely husky on a lead, on the prom, we are on the sand. Ma in law starts screaming, yes screaming, so loud that the husky jumped, and pulled its owner over the prom with a plop. It landed on top of a tiny little terrier, which, when it got out from underneath was really angry. It got under the husky's tummy and started nipping it and the husky was terrified and was trying to get away whilst still attached to its owner by the lead - the owner hadn't yet managed to get up. Then the terrier charged at my Taz and snatched his ball straight out of his mouth. Taz roared after him, nipped him, got the ball back and in making such a commotion attracted the attention of two lovely female bulldogs, who charged back up the beach by his side, straight at the back legs of ma-in-law!

They got her right in the back of the knees, she went down a cropper, her glasses flew off, she lost her bottom dentures! But she managed to keep screaming throughout. By now, even the husky owner was in stitches and all the dogs were fine. And little Prince - well he was halfway up the beach begging an ice cream off some old woman!

Ma in law screeched all the way home, and didn't stop screeching until she had taken a diazapam. And of course, it was all the fault of little Prince the little devil dog, and oh didn't she warn me about his appalling behaviour towards other dogs before we went out!! LOL.

Being gashed in the thigh by a nervous dog? Oh yes, that's the culprit in the piccie there. Butter wouldn't melt would it?

That was the make or break point. I'd rescued him, and he'd been fine around dogs for about 2 weeks. He didn't get fear aggression from me. Must have been part of the baggage. I have a lot to do with dogs, I have a friend who rehabs big bad ones, and then chooses a home for them to have a fresh start. I've been brought up with them all my life, so no fear of them. Biut even so, and even having seen exactly this happen about three times before with other dogs and owners, as well as other dogs trying it on with my mate, I still got caught out.

And this was all because of other dogs charging at him when I had him on the lead and we were just getting to know each other. He clearly didn't think I was up to the job of being in charge and protecting him. He decided to do it for himself, only I happened to be preventing him! I knew that if I told the dogs to "b****r" off" they would, but Taz didn't! And I won't have nonsense from any dog, but that's just me, not everyone can be like that, so I fully appreciate how awful it is.

Taz is fine now, and doesn't need this scheme, but it took a good 18 months to 2 years to get there. He'll never be one to run up and greet dogs, but neither would he chase them or attack them, and he'll never bite me again. All achieved by getting over it, and understanding that this dog is not just nervous he's scared. Cool, calm, confident, and get it across to the dog!

This scheme should really help to put a stop to this, but also, if we post up tales of what can or has happened because of those lovely over friendly dogs rushing at us, those lucky owners will appreciate just what some loyal dog owners have to go through, and what upsets thier dogs can cause.

I've told a great dane owner today about the scheme. He's about 9 which I think is a good old age for this breed, arthritic, and a bit shaky on his legs. His eyesight has got very poor so when a dog rushes at him he panics and starts to shake. She's going home to google it.

What a terrific scheme! I've emailed the link to my local Council Dog Warden; hopefully he'll be supportive of it.

My lad doesn't like strange dogs, and it's very difficult to prevent others from approaching us without causing wholesale panic!! We work to the best of his ability, and some days he's more receptive than others - a yellow ribbon would certainly take all the guesswork out!

Thanks for highlighting the scheme; much appreciated.

This is a great scheme, I'm going to tell all my friends who are dog owners about this. We have a lovely, but sometimes fiesty border terrier. And this is why if we see other dogs in the field, we put him straight back on the lead, but unfortunately the other owners don't think to do the same and so we can find outselves in a very growly situation as the other (usually bigger) dog comes bounding across to have a play and a sniff. Unfortunately our dog was attacked when he was minding his own business at the weekend, which may make him very timid or even more growly, so the yellow ribbon will come in handy if we find this is the case. At least until we can get him some training.

Can also sympathise with the leg gnashing - had the same last year!!

I should arrange for a good dog behaviourist to see him before you attempt to take him into a class. Because if he is afraid of other dogs it would put too much pressure on him to be around so many all at once. They will work with both of you and give you the confidence to deal with this and put it right. And wearing a yellow ribbon should certainly help you out.

I bet you a pound to a dollar it won't be too long before you are stood next to other dogs and owners, explaining the scheme to them, whilst the little lad sits quietly by your side! Then you'll say "how on earth did this happen?" LOL.

I have popped this on twitter and FB again, so if people want to retweet etc.. !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

LOL - my friend has just told me she is off today to rehab a human aggressive male ST Bernard! Try as I might, I can't take this seriously right now. I mean, what does he do? Smother people? Drown them in slobber? Well jolly good luck to her she's only 5ft 2"!

LOL - my friend has just told me she is off today to rehab a human aggressive male ST Bernard! Try as I might, I can't take this seriously right now. I mean, what does he do? Smother people? Drown them in slobber? Well jolly good luck to her she's only 5ft 2"!

My MIL used to rescue Great Danes and she's 5' 1". It was all fun and games until one of them decided to try to chase something in the woods while it was on the lead.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

I should arrange for a good dog behaviourist to see him before you attempt to take him into a class. Because if he is afraid of other dogs it would put too much pressure on him to be around so many all at once. They will work with both of you and give you the confidence to deal with this and put it right. And wearing a yellow ribbon should certainly help you out.

I bet you a pound to a dollar it won't be too long before you are stood next to other dogs and owners, explaining the scheme to them, whilst the little lad sits quietly by your side! Then you'll say "how on earth did this happen?" LOL.

Thanks for the advice J&W, we know a dog trainer/behaviourist in the village so we'll speak to her

That's the best way forward. You can do it! Just remember cool, calm, confident, always.

Here's a little tester for everyone with a sparky dog. You need a co-operative neighbour with one of those dogs that belly aches at the gate everytime someone walks by. (Yes, yes, I know the noisy dog also has a problem, but its obviously acceptable to the owner for it to be allowed to carry on!) So, for our purposes - make sure the noisy one is safely behind the gates. Now, can you walk past that gate with your dog, and whatever happens, not react? Tricky, because you know what's coming! The trick is don't even look at the other dog, it ain't there and you can't see it. See how you get on with that one! This is to build up your confidence, your dog will follow you.

So what would you do with the yakky dog, Jackie.. I ask because I have one ?? Seems to think that the entire area he can eyeball is his own personal space and constantly warns off everyone from the postman, to the people walking their dogs past the end of an extremely long drive and on the other side of the lane !!

I have to say, he isnt the only dog in the village that does this.. !!

BCOBS

Now CitizenB has an excellent tool for the whole village to practice with you see! And I bet he loves to cannon down that drive at the drop of a hat ay? HO Ho wonderful bit of sport mum! (The dog, Not CitizenB!)

The best bet of all with this, is to have a perfected recall, ie., you are far more interesting than whatever is at the gate, with a huge fuss when he gets it right and comes back, and forget that he was naughty to do it in the first place. Unless you have actually caught him red handed in action, in which case use your "naughty" word.

Otherwise, its time to spend some time down at that gate with the dog I'm afraid! You could arrange for people to walk past with their dogs or whatever worries your boy. Not too many, we just need to get him used to it, not overwhelm him, so just normal traffic. Then its just a matter of having him sit close to your side, (close to you is important always) and you have to ignore whatever walks past, remember, you can't see it, it ain't there. (You'll get dog trainers who will have him in the down position - if that does it for you, thats fine, its submissive and polite, and down can save his life one day in an emergency).

If you see he is getting agitated/nervous, stand sideways on to the gate, and have yourself nearest the gate to start, providing him with a barrier. Get him used to this, greet people as they go by, it soon becomes the norm for him. Try him on the other side of you, human barrier then removed, but still safe. Then eventually try having him face the gate again, still at your side. Check any reaction as quickly as you can. This can be ears up, fur up, sitting stock still with head up (you know, on the alert). (Oh, but if you get the play bough towards a passing dog this is good and should be praised - it'll be bum in the air, head and paws on the ground and usually a great big wiggle of some part or the other!)

If you get obvious aggression towards whatever passes the gate, rather than anxiety, it has to be checked. It'll be growling, teeth baring, pulling you towards the gate, thrashing around like a loon as you have him on the lead. You need professional help with this. This is where a good word of mouth behaviourist will help you and at the same time.......

......the postman - well we have to take this seriously. DDA. The best person to help you with this is the behaviourist.

However, if you are dead sure this is just all mouth and trousers, and you know that you can deal with it - try this - greet the postman halfway up the garden every day for a fortnight. With your dog on the lead. Sitting calmly by your side, being checked for any reaction, even on hearing the gate clicked. He's going to sit nicely and wait to be greeted. And then he's going to be rewarded. Each day just move slightly nearer to the gate. until you are at the point where you are dealing with the gate being opened and postie entering the garden. Just remember that sometimes we get different posties! So the trick is you practice this with lots of different people coming in the garden.

It takes patience, and a lot of time usually, but it will work in most cases. Then you can progress to him being in the garden off lead, and allowing people in. I'm sure if you tell postie what you are doing, he or she will say thank you.

Happy training chaps! Make it fun and stay calm.

• Haha 1

Brilliant, thank you Jackie. I will print this off and give it to a couple of other dog owners who have this problem.

I am not quite sure what went wrong - because we have always introduced our dogs to the postman and other "regulars" such as the newspaper boy and dustmen !! Our retriever is no problem - Just one short, sharp bark to alert us that someone is coming up the drive - then she waits to have a fuss made of her.

The JR was fine for the first 6 - 8 months. Then he just changed one day and it has been quite worrying. Anyway, your action plan will be started immediately and I will update this thread with our progress. :)

BCOBS

Oh these little JR's are so noisy and bouncy aren't they? And they have no need to make themselves seen and heard like that - they have hearts like lions and any sensible dog knows it and is respectful.

You know what these terriers were originally used for do you? To play a specific part in a fox hunt, only small, they were bred for their stamina, courage and a controlled aggression. To flush out without harming, (the carnage was for the fox hounds to do) to be able to chase for miles. Very intelligent little dogs. He needs to understand that the postman is not a fox! I always tell people that it is just a dog and any dog can be taught anything. However, sometimes its good to look at different breeds and their specific behaviours, because since humans have bred and bred through the centuries to get the strongest of these behaviours in different breeds, then I think it only sensible that we at least try to understand what we have bred.

I'd take his lordship out to an agility class - all the little terrier type dogs are good at it, and it helps create a good working bond between dog and owner, all based on fun. You'll probably see he starts to take more notice of you if you do something like this with him. And it keeps everyone fit!

:thumb:

I must admit, I thought they were "ratters", so this information is interesting.

He is in all other respects the perfect pet and as you say very respectful. I am wondering if unbeknown to me, one of the temporary posties has upset him and he just decided to take off at all of them :(

Fortunately we are well gated and he cant get out. It is just the racket he sets up.

We used to go to agility classes with the Goldie but the lady that organised them died and as yet, I havent seen anyone else start classes. I will telephone the vet and see if they have any information on classes perhaps further afield that we can look into.

BCOBS

If you get an opportunity, watch him chase a rat or squirrel, watch the way he jumps and leaps, gets right into the underbrush, loads of high pitched noise to cause panic in the prey, stays right on their trail, THAT's what they were supposed to do with foxes! But yes, ratting, rabbiting, all jolly good sport!

Until he sets his sights on the postman of course. That's why so many posties get nipped by these smaller dogs, poor old postie, he goes this way, he goes that way, he speeds up, he wails and shouts, he hops, skips and jumps, just what a good honest JR needs to get him going. Much better we get them obsessed with tennis balls from a very early age. X