YELLOW DOG UK: For the dog who needs space

jackieandwayne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well we have only had 2 postal deliveries since the instructions.. however his lordship was shocked to hear Mum yell.. "down" when Postie arrived on the Saturday morning.. so was Postie :lol: Anyway it worked, although I could still hear grumbling.. the horrid yakking stopped. He stayed down until Postie was on his way.. gave me a filthy look and went to dig up a bit of garden.

This morning he barked to let me know that Postie was on the move, but then automatically went into the down position and just grumbled, whilst keeping a wary eye on me until Postie had gone.

I am going to have to work a bit harder on the people walking their dogs down the lane, when they pass the end of the drive.. but I am encouraged with the little success we have had.

Will keep you updated.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If you get an opportunity, watch him chase a rat or squirrel, watch the way he jumps and leaps, gets right into the underbrush, loads of high pitched noise to cause panic in the prey, stays right on their trail, THAT's what they were supposed to do with foxes! But yes, ratting, rabbiting, all jolly good sport!

Until he sets his sights on the postman of course. That's why so many posties get nipped by these smaller dogs, poor old postie, he goes this way, he goes that way, he speeds up, he wails and shouts, he hops, skips and jumps, just what a good honest JR needs to get him going. Much better we get them obsessed with tennis balls from a very early age. X

We were in Richmond Park last year - because it was a strange place and of course the deer which he has never seen before - I thought it best to keep him on the extender lead. He saw a squirrel and quite took me by surprise so the lead was yanked out of my hand. Thank goodness I had the release catch in the set position, else it could have given him a nasty crack on the back of the legs when retracting. I finally caught up with him when the hand grip got caught in some bushes !! He was very frustrated that he had been prevented from catching up with the Squirrel.

And yes, I remember that is exactly what he was like.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sounds like you got a little diamond there Citizen B! And a very clever one.

The grumbling? "Are you quite sure mum? Well you know best I suppose, just making my view known. I'm still a little unsure but I stand to be convinced" The digging a variety of things "very well mum, but I'm digging a security hole just in case!" "What you let that man in the garden for mum? Here have some dirt in your face!" "I'm leaving my mark so when he comes back he knows I'm here" "phew mum was right, no worries, oh whoopie lets release some tension and excitement and dig the garden up!"

LOL - if he turns round and tells you he's digging postie's grave, you need a professional!

So, you know you have his respect, you know he is willing to do what you say, even though he will have a little say, he's still going to do as you say. Not a problem dog, but one you can have a lot of fun with.

When you've mastered manners at the gate, you can progress it. Make the other owner aware beforehand, but as they come along, just open that gate and drop into step beside them, walk along, its about you owners having a social, not about the dogs. (To start do it so its human, dog, human, dog as you walk along, then you can craftily switch positions a bit later and see how they are walking side by side) Less attention on them when out on the lead, less bother you will have. It'll soon become the norm, and it'll help all the owners in your village eventually.

Its a shame about the agility. Its not really something I would recommend is just set up, it really does need a qualified dog person. The dogs have to be in good health and over a year old, and although the dogs generally don't have accidents, the owners do, so insurance is a must. But its such good fun, I think its worth asking the KC if they can recommend someone - who might be willing to come to the village and set up a class for you - the lighter nights are coming (apparently!). Same thing with flyball. Excellent fun.

Keep up the good work!

:lol: Yes, I can just see his little mind working along those lines.

BCOBS

• 4 months later...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45596[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45597[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45598[/ATTACH]

BCOBS

What a fabulous idea! I know that they do something similar with horses - tie a red ribbon around the tail if the horse is prone to kicking out.

I know this isn't about aggression per say, but I used to have a very dog aggressive GSD and the amount of owners who would let their dogs come charging up to mine (whilst she was on the lead and also wearing a basket muzzle) was unreal. The standard excuse for this was 'oh he/she only wants to play! All well and good, but mine did NOT want to play and had she not been muzzled their playful doggie could have ended up in bits.

I will respost this everywhere.

Well done CB! Easy isn't it? You just gotta learn a little about doggie behaviour, no need to endure Cesar Milan and his bloody teeth (I admired him till he had those teeth done!) unless you want to.

Yes Ocelot it is a brilliant idea, and I've now seen quite a few doggies out with the yellow neck tie on. I hate muzzles on dogs, but I do understand why people use them. I prefer to deal with the problem that made the muzzle necessary in the first place (unless we are talking about a highly dangerous dog with specific problems, or a court order). I honestly believe muzzling makes problems worse. Oh, I've just thought of another reason to do it, I met one the other day, eats doggie poos! Yuck.

Best bet all round for all dog owners is complete calmness at all times what ever situation you find yourself in.

Now, CB, have you tried disco dancing with the little one yet? JR's are very good at it. I recommend you get hold of a copy of that old Kenny song "The Bump" and get going, this is a reward based exercise, (lovely little bits of cheddar!) the aim being to get your little one to bump against you everytime she/he hears "Bump". You have to get very involved and excited with this one!

Now, CB, have you tried disco dancing with the little one yet? JR's are very

good at it. I recommend you get hold of a copy of that old Kenny song "The

Bump" and get going, this is a reward based exercise, (lovely little bits of

cheddar!) the aim being to get your little one to bump against you everytime

she/he hears "Bump". You have to get very involved and excited with this

one!

Yes, indeed I have tried doggy dancing with both of them. Sadly the Goldie has a problem with reversing, however the JR absolutely loves to jiggle with his Mum :lol:

I will have a look round for the "Bump" :)

BCOBS

Yep I agree with you on the muzzle thing but unfortuantely the circumstances being as they were I didn't have an option. She was not my dog but an ex-boyfriends dog who had done NOTHNG with her since he got her. He also had three other dogs at the time (and then there was mine too) so dog walking was four at a time and as I am sure you will be aware its difficult enough to train a dog with these sort of deep seated issues when its one on one - let alone when you have three others to concern yourself with.

Added to this was the fact that any training I did with her was promptly undone / undermined by my ex who didn't seem to care that his dog was dangerous. All in all an utterly ridiculous situation, totally irresponsible and one of the many reasons he is an ex. Its sad though because ultimately the dog is the one that suffers, so I am afraid the best I could do in this stupid situation was to try to keep everyone safe. So muzzle.

Oh I know all about deep seated issues! Little darling in my photo had those when I brought him home at 20 months. Got a lovely V shaped scar across my thigh from him actually. And at that point, yes most people would muzzle and I can't blame them. Like you say though, I only had him to contend with, which is hard enough, never mind 4 a go! Taz isn't a problem at all now, but he still isn't keen on dogs running up to him, only now he chooses to run off rather than go for them. Anyway, he's ball obsessed now, and has a dilemma - ball or bite? He chooses the ball everytime! I think I could have managed the rehab with two dogs, I'd have used the one to calm the other, but I really do see how difficult it would have been for you with so many, and at least she got her exercise and was loved.

And the ex? Ho, fully understand, my poor mate has 3 soppy large Heinz 57, and he adds a huge male Inuit into the mix. And then walks out on the lot of them and two kids. We've had such trouble with bloody Merlin, but we also know this is his fifth home, he's got a fear problem, not dominance, and he can turn that corner. My mate had to muzzle him, like you, for everyone's safety when out on walks. But there will come the day it won't be necessary, at some point trust has to be given (gotta be earned though!). He's good in the house, well, the three big girls won't allow anything else, and the kids have known nothing else since birth but large dogs everywhere! (even three cats allowed in his bed with him!) Best of all he's been with her for 18 months now and is starting to realise its his forever home, and that really makes a change.

Oh hey but there's one problem I can't cure Taz of, and it makes everyone laugh if they see it - whenever we go up a big hill, me being a bit older now, might be a bit slower, but I get there in the end! I don't get a chance to stop though and "admire the view" - if I do I get Taz behind me snapping at my heels and grumbling, and if I dare slow down he tries to trip me up by putting his paws between my feet. The one time I dared to stop half way up to tie my shoe lace he body slammed me in the back of the knees and had me over! I can hear the sharp intake of breath from any professional reading this - but I don't care - if that's the worst his behaviour is going to be from now on I think we can consider him rehabbed! And anyway I made that fateful mistake - I laughed the first time he did it! And I'm very proud of how fast I can get up these hills here in Dorset.