KwikFit left oil filter off - RAV 4 dead :(( - **RESOLVED FULL COST OF CAR + COMP**

tbilisi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4002 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening everyone. grouphug.gif

I need some advice on this one folks. :|

Last Wednesday I took my car (Toyota RAV4, 2009) for MOT to KwikFit garage in Hendon (North London). Once the MOT was done one of the mechanics asked me if I wanted oil changed. I though I might as well do it, so they did, I paid and left.

Btw, they had no filter in stock and had to order it from a warehouse. Waited nearly 3 hours for a delivery guy to bring that damn filter.

As I was driving home, a message on a display panel popped up: LOW OIL PRESSURE.

I immediately stopped the car, called the guy at KwikFit and told him about the message on the display panel and asked him to advise me accordingly. He said that there was nothing to worry about, likely something in the car would have to be reset.

I drove off... but after about 3 minutes my engine ceased.

I contacted RAC immediately.

RAC mechanic was shocked on arrival as he discovered that there was no oil filter at all. He told me the engine had to be replaced as the car was running without any oil and/or a filter, and it was unfortunately dead.

He took pictures, wrote a report and strongly advised me to take the car to Toyota (he even called KwikFit and informed them that he was advising me to take the car to Toyota).

Anyway, RAC took my car to Toyota.

Yesterday I received a full assessment and the Invoice from Toyota which comes at £10 640 - a new engine, a few parts and a labor.

Today Kwikfit's regional director for North London contacted me and asked me if I would be ok with the kwikFit mechanic going to the Toyota garage for a damage assessment. I said it'd be OK.

After a few hours he called me again and told me that they'd accept full liability and intend to take the car from Toyota to a different company do the job as Toyota's quote for a labor was high.

I said that I didn't want Kwikfit to deal with this at all and that I could no longer trust their workmanship.

He told me he'd speak about it to the CEO and come back to me in due course.

My questions are:

1. Do I have a right to insist on Toyota fixing the car? Or KwikFit is entitled to choose the garage without my consent?

2. How do I know what kind of engine they're going to replace my original engine with?

3. Will this incident affect the overall value of this car? If so, could I ask for a compensation?

4. I've driven this car only 10K miles and the engine was absolutely untouched in perfect condition. Now, they're going to put some engine which could have some fault or is older. Do I have to accept it?

5. Do I have a right to demand a new engine?

I would appreciate if you could help me guys as I'm not experienced and find myself totally lost.

Many thanks in advance.

xxx

Gia

Edited by tbilisi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. You have a right in law to have your property restored to the condition it was in before it was damaged through Kwikfit's apparent negligence. You might quite reasonably argue that only Toyota can do this properly, but whether this is reasonable is up to you!

2. You don't, unless you make it a condition of accepting such an offer that they provide a full trail of information on the replacement, including where it came from and what its history is.

3. If the restoration job is done properly with an engine of the same mileage or less, and no history of accident or neglect, then no, and no you would not be entitled to compensation for anything other than consequential loss (e.g. cost of a hire car, loss of earnings etc.).

4. As said above, the engine should be of the same mileage or less and have no history of neglect or accident. Maybe an engine out of a scrapped car of the same age and mileage or less, involved in a rear-end low-speed shunt and no worse than Cat D write-off.

5. No, a new engine is not a right under these circumstances but you could demand it in return for accepting the labour being done by Kwikfit, and/or waiving other parts of a potential claim. However, given that the destroyed engine was low-mileage, they might have a hard time finding an equivalent replacement without going for a new engine.

Good luck - you've cleared the first hurdle at least, with a clear admission of liability. Companies like this don't need the bad publicity and should be sensible about dealing with mistakes, as it seems they are being.

An engine on its own has no indication of mileage or age, just an engine number stamped on it. I think you'd have to ask for proof of the mileage of the car the engine was removed from, although that might not be conclusive either. For a scrapped or recently transferred vehicle, the DVLA might hold reported mileage information against the registration number.

just one point

whatever engine they fit

you DO have recourse if itturns out to be a bummer

or anything linked to the fitting of it.

clearly states this under SOGA.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

just one point

whatever engine they fit

you DO have recourse if itturns out to be a bummer

or anything linked to the fitting of it.

clearly states this under SOGA.

dx

dx100uk

Thank you for reply. Good to know that there are some organisations which I can turn to if necessary. First I'm going to wait for their response and then I'll deal with the case accordingly.

Thanks everyone, you've been very helpful.

Gia

If they tell you it's a like for like engine with the same mileage make sure you get that in writing on KwikFit headed paper.

ashmk

Thank for your reply.

Yes, I will certainly ask them to provide a written proof, just to make sure it has no history of neglect or accident.

dw190

Thanks.

Actually they contacted me yesterday and brought a brand new courtesy car (Toyita Auris Hybrid). :)

Looks like they are going to play ball then.

Have you checked if the Auris has an oil filter on?:wink:

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Hello again.

I just received this email from KwikFit.

They are offering 2008 engine (15K mileage) from a RAV4 that was involved in a collision as a replacement of my 2009 engine (11K) with absolutely no history of any kind of malfunction.

I find it totally outrageous. Do you guys know who I can turn to? I want to take this publicity as far as I can. I could sue them if it was possible.

Even if I am to lose this car for good, I will NOT accept this scrap engine. :mad2:

What steps should I take next? :|

Here's the letter I received from them:

----------------------

Dear Mr ##########,

I have been involved with working with our Operations Manager, ##### ##### and our first choice engine supplier Motorman to resolve the issues on your car.

I understand that you have requested some details about the replacement engine and I can provide you with what I have received from Motorman.

The vehicle is on site at Motorman’s St. Albans workshop awaiting our further instructions.

Please note that the battery is completely dead on this vehicle, and subsequently this may need replacing after any work is carried out, but obviously we would try charging it up first before any requests are made. This would of course be supplied from Kwik-Fit.

The proposed replacement engine is also on site at Motorman ready for installation as soon as the go ahead is agreed.

I can confirm this is from a 2008 RAV4 2.0 vvti automatic – Reg No. SL08RFO and the mileage has been confirmed from our supplier at 15,495 miles when it was removed from the damaged vehicle, but unfortunately we are unable to obtain any service history for this vehicle.

This vehicle had been involved in a rear end RTA collision in which there was no damage reported to the front end or engine compartment of the vehicle.

We can confirm the mileage on your car and recognise that this could be a difference of approx. 1500 miles compared with the previous engine and this may be recognised as a small loss of value to you. We would be prepared to look at this for you after the engine is replaced.

Should you confirm that you are happy to go ahead with this repair, we can get it started for you and ensure prompt return to ensure that we minimise the delay in rectifying the problems with the vehicle and the inconvenience of loss of the vehicle.

I would invite you to contact ###### on ############# and advise also to customer.service@kwik-fit.com to allow us to move forward on this repair for you.

Regards,

Imagine trying to sell a 2009 car with a 2008 engine in it in a few years time. No one in their right mind would touch it. Never mind the hassles with the V5 paperwork plus the additional mileage and no service history. New engine or it goes to court. I doubt if Kwik fit will do court as it will be very bad for their reputation. They caught us once and we will never ever use a Kwik fit outlet again.

Surfer01

Thank you very much for your reply and advice.

I have been very nice, reasonable and considerate up to this point, but after this email I feel I've had enough.

I've never taken anyone to court (LOL), so I wouldn't know how it's done. Do I hire a solicitor? ... but I can't afford paying for a lawyer or a solicitor :|

No win, no fee solicitor? Reply to Kwikfit in writing that their offer is not satisfactory as the engine is older with a higher mileage and no service history. Also inform them that on sale of the vehicle at some point in the future, it would be very difficult with an older engine. It is either a new engine or an engine with a verified service history and same or similar mileage.

You can verify the servicing through any Toyota dealer if you have the engine serial number and registration. You would also want a full engine warranty of at least 24 months. Your vehicle's annual mileage was only about 3500 miles per annum. Give them a time limit to sort it out and see how they reply. Send everything by registered mail so that you can track it and also present it as proof if it went to court.

Please remember that more than likely they are also reading this thread as they have a rep as a forum member so don't give away too much.

Surfer01

Thanks mate.

They can read my posts as much as they like, it won't change anything - under no circumstances their recent offer will be accepted. I will sell my soul, my house and my family and take them to court.

By the way, I've been working for media at a top level for 19 years (mainly government contracted) and I could easily make a massive scandal out of it resulting quite a few KwikFif heads surely falling off. I might as well contact the KwikFit CEO whom I dealt with some time ago through my company. :-x :-x :-x

Hi

Just for info this is the link to Motorman that kwikfit want to use for engine replacement bet you notice they are going for the cheap option:

http://www.motorman.co.uk/index.php/products-range-and-engineering

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I'd also be concerned with any possible shock damage to the engine. Not unheard of for something to let go after a few miles post prang.

Perhaps a polite thanks but no thanks would be in order for now. Don't know the engine specs but is relining and complete rebuild possible with these? Have you asked the rac if it would be willing or able to suggest a remedy?

If the car was a 2007 model it may be acceptable for a 2008 engine but not the other way around as one would lose a substantial amount of money on selling the vehicle never mind the hassle. The engine exchange will not flag up on a HPI check, but if a buyer checks the engine number it will flag up and then the seller would have many issues if they had not declared the older engine in the vehicle to the buyer prior to purchase.

You should remind them that the only reason they wanted to take it from Toyota garage was that because their labour chages were to expensive. It was then your understanding that replacement would be a new one from Toyota.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

stu007

Yorky2008

dw190

Surfer01

Thank you guys, you support is highly appreciated.

I'll contact RAC legal team, my solicitor and the BBC watchdog (and perhaps a few other law firms and media agencies) tomorrow and will post here about the outcome. :)

If KF want to play games with decent people I'll try to give them something to play with. :-)

Cheers, much love and hugs to you all!!!

I'd also be concerned with any possible shock damage to the engine. Not unheard of for something to let go after a few miles post prang.

Perhaps a polite thanks but no thanks would be in order for now. Don't know the engine specs but is relining and complete rebuild possible with these? Have you asked the rac if it would be willing or able to suggest a remedy?

Thanks Mike.

RAC said to speak to their legal team (I'm gonna do it tomorrow). Toyota told me that only a bottom part of the engine needs to be replaced (a few parts U suppose), but afterwords the KF regional director told me that Motorman suggested a new engine because replacing a few parts at the bottom is like asking for a trouble in the future.

If the car was old or oldish I wouldn't be making much noise, I guess I'd settle with some old engine and get over this whole nightmare.

Edited by tbilisi