@BritishGas Must be totally stupid

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4108 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Are British Gas just thugs - or are they just complete idiots?

A conversation with British Gas this afternoon:

Me: Hello, it's about all the different bills you keep sending me.

BG: How can I help?

Me: I moved into an empty flat about three months ago, called you, gave you the reading when I moved in and asked you to set up an account so that I can pay online.

BG: We set up the account for you sir.

Me: Yes, sort of, but it will not allow me to register and activate.

BG: I can look into that for you sir.

Me: In the meantime you keep sending me bills alleging that I owe you over £140.

BG: Yes sir, you need to pay for the gas you use.

Me: The gas that I use? How are you calculating the gas that I use then?

BG: It's an estimated bill sir.

Me: So, you'r not actually billing me for the gas that I use then?

BG: We are sir, it's an estimated bill.

Me: So, as I say, not the gas that I actually use but the gas that you think I have used?

BG: That's correct sir.

Me: Well, how about I estimate the gas that I use and then pay you accordingly?

BG: I'm sorry sir?

Me: How about I make up an arbitrary figure of the gas that I have used and then pay you based on my own estimate?

BG: I'm not sure I follow you sir.

Me: Okay, try this one then. Today I received a bill saying that I owe you £16.23 (and the reason for my call) - what's all that about then?

BG: That will be for the gas that you used before you moved into the property sir, and is based on the usage figure you provided.

Me: The gas that I used before I moved into the property, before I started using your gas and before I had a contract with you?

BG: Yes sir.

Me: Explain to me how that works then.

BG: Well sir, the gas that you used before you moved into the property was our gas and therefore it needs to be paid for.

Me: Right, only I didn't use your gas.

BG: Somebody did sir.

Me: And you want me to pay for it?

Me: Well, would you be so kind as to tell me who it was that used your gas and then you can chase them instead?

BG: You used it sir.

Me: No, I didn't use it.

BG: Well, somebody used it sir.

Me: That's as maybe but it wasn't me.

BG: Well, you will need to take that up with them sir.

Me: So, let me get this right. Somebody used your gas, it wasn't me, and it needs to be paid for because if it isn't paid for that constitutes theft from your company?

BG: That's about right sir.

Me: So, someone stole your gas and you want me to pay for it?

Me: I'm not paying for it, and if I did then that would make me and BG complicit in the theft of your gas as it clearly is theft if it was used by someone who had no intention of paying for it.

BG: I'm not sure I understand sir.

Me: Okay, try this. Go and pursue the person who used your gas without paying for it and quit bothering me.

BG: We can't do that sir.

Me: Whyever not?

BG: Because we don't know who that person is.

Me: Well then, have you reported this theft to the police?

BG: Pardon?

Me: Someone used your gas without paying for it, right?

Me: Well, that constitutes theft. I think you should report it to the police.

BG: I'm not sure I follow you sir.

Me: Let me put it another way. Someone took my bicycle the other day, without my consent and without the intention to return it. By your standard that constitutes theft. I want you to buy me a new bicycle.

BG: But we didn't take your bicycle sir.

Me: And I didn't use your ****ing gas. If you want the money then take me to court ... if you feel you will win.

BG: Pardon sir?

Me: Goodbye.

End of call.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/236931403038408/permalink/492277307503815/

Of course, the only problem is that they won't take it to court. they will simply turn the account over to the DCAs, wreck his credit file and bombard him with threats and maybe withdraw his service.

They wouldn't dare go before impartial arbitration in a court

From my very limited experience with these people, they lack even basic function when it comes to any customer service functions.

Does anyone apart from themselves actually finally regulate them? Will be excellent to see them face some court proceedings instead of proclaiming certain people guilty without recourse. I can obviously claim someone is a theif, if they so wished I would be made to stand in a Court. They seem very much beyond the law of the land.