Being made homeless due to Job Centre

Casper's Ghost
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have searched high and low for jobs. Many shops in town are shutting down because of money problems. I have had so many job interviews and have gotten no where. I have looked at what I can do to help myself and have. I have gone to CAB who told me to go to council. I did. They gave me no advice and said they could do nothing for me and sent me on my way. I have been bidding on flats since I was 18, and have gotten no where.

Nor has any estate agents accepted me because I don't have enough money for the deposit. I did get my deposit from my dad, who got a pension. Where he got I have no idea. Didn't think he could get one this early.I have not been shopping! I have been actively seeking jobs. Sorry if none of what I say makes sense. I have tried to get help, but no one who I speak to is helping me. I am genuinely not in a good place.

I am not wasting time. Council will not help me. I will give shelter a call on Monday, and see what happens.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody has been telling you to call Shelter for some time now, but for some reason you haven't. That's what I don't understand !! It would only take a few minutes...less time than to reply to comments on this thread.

You have been given the best help and advice possible by others on this site. Please take their advice and act upon it. I would have given my right arm to have been given the kind of help and advice you have, when I was homeless. I'm not having a go at you for not having a job, I just am incredibly frustrated that the advice you have been given seems to not be being acted upon.

I hope you can find the strength within you to sort this out. It can easily be done, but you need to WANT to do it. I apologise if I seem a bit harsh, but I've been in a far worse situation all alone with nobody to support me. Scared witless. One visit to Centrepoint was all it took to start the process of getting myself back on my feet again. You need to take action.

I have searched high and low for jobs. Many shops in town are shutting down because of money problems. I have had so many job interviews and have gotten no where. I have looked at what I can do to help myself and have. I have gone to CAB who told me to go to council. I did. They gave me no advice and said they could do nothing for me and sent me on my way. I have been bidding on flats since I was 18, and have gotten no where.

Nor has any estate agents accepted me because I don't have enough money for the deposit. I did get my deposit from my dad, who got a pension. Where he got I have no idea. Didn't think he could get one this early.I have not been shopping! I have been actively seeking jobs. Sorry if none of what I say makes sense. I have tried to get help, but no one who I speak to is helping me. I am genuinely not in a good place.

I am not wasting time. Council will not help me. I will give shelter a call on Monday, and see what happens.

Hi,

I have just been reading this and it states that you been bidding on flats since you was 18 and you got no where, well if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? because it seems you gotten some where since you had a flat a few months ago and you been evicted, or this story true or just a wind up?

Maybe 27 as it was her birthday the other day.

Liverbird, please just remember there may be reasons for caspers behaviour. Possibly the system has let her down. I know from experience how frustrating the benefits system can be. You provide the info they ask for and it's not the right info yet no one tells you that.

In my case my ESA claim had to be rebuilt and every 2 weeks my money would not go through. In one case it took 4 days or several phone calls a day to get any money. I was lucky in that i had friends and family who made sure i had food etc. I am also able to communicate relatively well and easily and am not a violent person but i could understand it tripping someone over the edge.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Casper, I've given this some thought, and I know that I've been telling you to go to Shelter but I really think since you're local to them the Purfleet Trust would be even better for you.

When you go to see them, they won't just offer you advice - they'll assign you a case worker who will help you with everything. They'll look at your benefits and housing, help you get onto the housing register if you're eligible, or help you with private accommodation if you're not. Their website is down at the minute, but from memory, they also offer temporary accommodation until you have somewhere settled to live.

The people who work there have vast experience of the benefits system, so they may be able to succeed in getting somewhere with that where you haven't been able to.

I really, really hope that the next post I see from you is one telling us that you've been to see them and that they've been able to do something positive for you.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Yes, I completely understand that there may be other issues going on, and have had my fair share of sleeping on the streets, moving from one hostel to another, having absolutely nobody to help me. My ESA constantly being messed up due to it being a clerical claim, and the subsequent problems that then brings with my housing benefit. I understand very well how stressful it can all be, I completely get that.

What I don't get is why they haven't tried to contact the relevant people who can sort this out for them. Yes they are in a luckier situation than most in that they still have a roof over their head and family to provide food etc. But then maybe that's what makes all the difference. When you've had to sleep rough it scares you into taking action. Had I had any support, then I doubt I'd have been quite so proactive in trying to sort my issues out. When you have a roof over your head then I guess it's easier to say "I'll do it tomorrow"

I will see them on Monday as they're not open on weekends. I got a letter today asking for £1600. And they are going to try and get it. I haven't got the letter infront of me. And I am using my phone so can't type out what they said. I will go to CAB on Wednesday to ask if they can help. As I really don't have the money.

I assume the letter asking for £1600 is from your former landlord. You don't need to go to the CAB as well - take everything you have on paper with you to the Purfleet Trust, as it will help them get an idea of where you are with everything and how you got there.

I can't stress this enough, Casper - please, please don't get distracted by anything else that should be happening on Monday. You MUST go to the Purfleet Trust on Monday, anything else will have to wait for one day.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

Laughinggirl is spot on Caspar about how the trust can help you. When I went through Centrepoint when I was homeless, I was assigned a support worker. I told her everything, and she helped me sort everything. I quite literally poured out a sackful of problems, which they had all the experiance and knowledge to deal with and help sort.

The relief you will feel when you offload all of these problems onto somebody who will help you will feel immense. You will have such a weight lifted off your shoulders. These advisors really do help. They turned the awful life my parents had given me, into something I felt a lot more positive about. This was many many years ago, so most likely they will have more support available to give you than I had.

I really hope all goes well on Monday. They can and will help you. You don't need this daily stress.

Yes, take every bit of paper you have Casper. Liverbird is right, once you start talking to someone who can actually DO something to help you and you start to see your situation improve, you won't believe how much better you'll feel.

I think you'll be amazed by how much the Purfleet Trust will be able to do for you.

Please please go to Purfleet Trust on Monday. They can and will help you turn your situation around for the better. All the help and advice you need in one place. I think I'd have had a breakdown had I not got the help I needed from Centrepoint.

I apologise if I have appeared a bit brash on my older comments, but I'm just frustrated for you. Not angry or having a go at you, just frustrated because the right help you need is there at the Purfleet Trust. I would hate to see you go through some of the stresses I did. I know too well how badly this could effect you, so had to reply.

I can't begin to explain how much better I felt after seeing an advisor. I felt like a new person, I could sleep at night, and yes, with a roof over my head thanks to them. They helped me with accomodation, benefits, work, counselling, you name it they helped with it. Please please go. If you don't you will never know just how much they could have helped you. From someone who has benefited so much from this kind of help, I beg you to please go. These people are worth more than their weight in gold,

Casper - don't assume they won't be open, work on the assumption that they WILL be open. Now no more questions until you have actually taken the advice given on board! Good luck. Do what laughingGirl has suggested. One thing at a time, Purfleet first!!!!!!!

scotgal 

Somewhere like the Purfleet Trust will do everything in their power to open as normal on Monday so don't assume they won't.

Just because there is bad weather it doesn't mean that every office closes, hospitals, police, councils, benefit offices, job centres, CAB and food banks to nane but a few still have to operate and put contingency plans into place to ensure that the can stay open even if the service is reduced to normal.

Let us know how you get on, Casper. I've got my fingers crossed for you! :)

haven't been well lately. I'm going up to council tomorrow, for 2 things. Changing my address and to get refereed to Purfleet Trust. But I need a letter saying I am sanctioned, so that my mum can have me living with her. Wishout having to pay £20 for my stay. Is that even possible?

More hurdles Casper, make the effort to go or else you'll be back to square one asking more irrelevant questions. Do only what you need to do 1. Get yourself referred to Purfleet. THAT IS YOUR ONLY PRIORITY!

They will sort the rest. Fletch is right, use your original letter you were sent

scotgal 

The letter is somewhere in the house, just have to find it.

I need to tell the council or my mum will be fined if caught. I know being refereed to Purfleet Trust is a priority , but so is changing my address. My mum could be caught doing fraud. I will be in the council anyway.

Let us know how you get on, Casper.

Couldn't go to today. Car was packed, parents, brother, sister and niece had to be somewhere.

I asked my dad if I could phone the council tomorrow and he said I could. So I could ask to be refereed over the phone. Didn't know why they didn't take me. I can't go on my own as I have no idea what to say.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks