Internet - Ancestry website

Guest Hantslad
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Hantslad

Forgive me for posting this here; I know it shouldn't be but it's as close as I could get to the related content.

I post here in the hope that someone might be able to point me in the right direction - given the type of ppl that visit this site!

Here is the issue:

I was recently told that we (the entire family dating back to 1700's) is on a public tree on the Ancestry .co .uk website.

The problem I have with this is that the person that created it has nothing to do with us .. but for one family member marrying into their family. That's it!

The user created an ancestry tree of their family and, as far as i'm concerned, the link to ours should stop at the family member that married into theirs. We have fk all to do with them - and are never likely to!

I email ancestry to see if it could be removed - Nope! came the reply. We don't delete trees. Contact the person who created it.

So i did. Nope! came the reply (basically).

I wouldn't mind if they had sought permission to add some of us (some of our family members don't care that they are on there .. which is fine. But some do!)

It's gross intrusion of privacy as far as i'm concerned and i don't agree with it one bit!

Anyone know of any 'internet / privacy of information' type laws that i can use to get it removed?

to be honest i wouldnt worry either

other peoples trees tend to be very inaccurate

as doing my wifes family tree (no point doing mine, dads done it back till 1540ish) and found constant inacurrate marrages, wrong names, random extra children on other peoples trees that linked in

was very intresting tho found some of my wifes ancestors lived at nos. 6,8,11, 12, 13 and 15 of a street that only went upto 20, all brothers of the previous generation

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

You can inform the website if inaccuracies which they should be abliged to either amend or infirm the original poster of their mistake. But as MB states, there is not much you can do unless there is other information posted regarding whereabouts now and addresses, employment details etc.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

I know my family features on quite a few as well, but usually - if accessed by an 'outsider' - names appear as 'living person' rather than real name.

By the by... A colleague at work was given 11k by those Heir Hunter people after they tracked down her family via Ancestry. A second cousin she had never met died without leaving a will and just cos she mentioned him in her tree she copped for the money!