style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3529 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Honeybee, Basically in this case I wasn't sure if policy had been followed as I wasn't satisfied by a statement someone gave me so I wanted to get to the bottom of it since I had a few issues with the department in question, recently, to get the facts straight. You're right, I've had many issues at work and in truth, I don't see them being resolved.

Hi Honeybee, Basically in this case I wasn't sure if policy had been followed as I wasn't satisfied by a statement someone gave me so I wanted to get to the bottom of it since I had a few issues with the department in question, recently, to get the facts straight. You're right, I've had many issues at work and in truth, I don't see them being resolved.

Thank you for that.

Do you have a desired outcome with all these issues please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

The problem is Honey Bee that these problems stem from a long time ago and they've had a lasting effect - its because of bad things that have happened that have allowed others to have a dim view of our department and we can't seem to shake it off. In regards to any plan of action, its very difficult to say - there have been problems in this place for so long and the ethos of military life is very different to other places and that doesn't help, either. Might be time for a change. Since we're in the process of getting a brand new supervisor come in, then that might be a good opportunity to do so because since day one, there's always been issues in that place.

On your last thread i thought we concluded a change of employer would be best all round? How's the job hunting going?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi Emmzzi,

I think a change of scenery would be best all round - I didn't want to go for promotion in my office as I don't really enjoy it and its not a great place to work for now - was at one time but rapidly its gone downhill. I might look elsewhere on station but might quit the civil service. I've done it 9 years and my pension could be transferred. I'm literally fed up of working for a bunch of individuals who are so obviously up their own and don't give two.

I don't believe it fair that people view you as the same person they perceived you to be ages back when there were serious issues - there's no chance to develop or move on which is wrong because people are arrogant in their thinking and once you've made a mistake, you'll always be tainted with it. I also believe there's subtle ostracising at my work place as well - there's definitely select groups and I am very much isolated in my own office.

Its been a learning curve, most definitely.

I don't feel I should go into work every day, put up with the crud and get disrespected and have that feeling of being devalued on a daily basis. There's so many things wrong with our flight, its untrue. Even others have said so as well so it can't just be me.

At current Emmzzi, all things considered, I thought it would be best to wait until christmas - there's no point being unemployed before christmas as it would be at the worst time for anyone - when the new year breaks, since I have my qualification now, it means I can go up in the world a bit more, not being disrespectful to my current job.

As I said, since day one, I've never had a moment's peace in truth and the work colleagues for the most part are difficult. I think I'm going to look for a job in computers. The problems I described before have died down a bit but the thing is, the lingering atmosphere I talked about is still there and a Line Manager is supposed to promote an environment where a colleague feels safe and secure etc. - that's bull in our workplace and the irony is, they take a strong stance on harrassment/bullying etc. Just laughable.

I'm not sure if a move to another department might do me the power of good since the other people are a lot friendlier and helpful - the issue is the people as it is in most places are a decidedly mixed bag. There were no real issues until one Line Manager whom I've spoken of caused our department no end of problems and it seemed the majority sided with the Line Manager. Then again, that's nothing new.

Happy to help when you are ready to take positive action. I don't agree with your reasons for not starting to look now - you do not have to resign to find a new job! There are jobs outside of your current employer also. If you have reasons for staying like pension etc well, you are just going to have to stop moaning and put up with it, that is the price for taking the silver pieces.

If you do not take action nothing will change - you have no one to blame but yourself.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi Emmzzi, I think your latest response is most thought provoking. Its a shame that in the context of moaning, that's what's wrong with jobs today - people are right for the most part about what is wrong with a place yet people don't care. That's why things don't change. If people listened and were more receptive of others, it'd be different in my opinion.

I'm not keen to lose the pension element but you have given me a thought about what to do - its time to move onto a new area within the camp. I've been in my current job too long and I do believe I'd fare so much better in other areas as opposed to the one I'm in now. I guess it doesn't matter where you work because there will always be problems but you just have to accept them or fight them, I guess.

I agree with you about the civil service, it is hard to get anyone to tell the truth, and they have policies in places, which are ignored. Someone in HR described them as tick box exercises. At the moment I have a grievance in with witnesses, and proof on paper, and the union involved. And my dept has made it so stressful that I feel like throwing in the towel, and giving up. Which is what I think most people do, they just give up.. I wish you good luck, and if you can look and get another job, it would be great, but I am sure you have in the back of your mind, that they have got away with it????

LilythePink

If you liked what I said, and if it helped in any way, please tip my scales..... thank you:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I know some of you are already aware of the numerous problems I have within the workplace. However I wanted to run something that happened to me at work today and in truth, left me rather shaken.

Basically, the front of house called me up and told me they had a parcel, so following procedure, I asked for a name and upon investigation and as I had thought, the item was for a squadron which has its own set procedures in place for collecting parcels and so I told the front of house to ring them up.

A short time passes and then one of the higher grade civilians comes in and asks why the parcel was not picked up - I explained the situation to them and they said that the front of house doesn't have time to ring around, thoroughly ignoring the fact as I had explained to them that the squadron in question had their own set procedures in place. Also, the individual reprimanded me in front of a customer in my own office.

However, since then I have spoken to the squadron and the front of house and they are happy with the procedures - also, these were procedures that I discussed with my Line Manager weeks ago, to make the system between the front of house and my office more efficient. Apparently, the person in question "went off on one" at the front of house when I told them to ring the squadron to get them to pick the item up.

The situation actually left me shaken afterwards and I felt compelled to contact my Line Manager who is currently away at the moment because as far as I was concerned, I was in the right because I was following procedure and wasn't going to tolerate being treated in such a disgusting manner, in my opinion.

For those of you who know me already and my situation, as soon as the staffing levels are back up to scratch, which will be soon now, I am going to request an immediate transfer to another dept. as I am fed up of going into work under very poor conditions.

Feedback on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

you followed procedure

you were backed up on it by squadron and front of house

someone was a bit rude to you about it - you could have asked front of house or squadron to clarify with them, but you chose not to.

I think you have it out of proportion, which is a symptom of depression. If I were your line manager i'd be exasparated, this does not merit interupting me while I am away!

PS Ask for a transfer now. You are not happy. I bet no one else is happy either. Ask! Stop dithering!

• Haha 1

I thought you had decided to look for alternative employment? IMO the situation at your current workplace is not going to change, you are obviously not happy and I really dont think that anything your emplopyer will or can do in the long term is going to make a great deal of difference to your state of health.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening,

Some of you will already be aware of my job situation at my workplace but to update those in the know, I am getting cross-skilling so I will be working in another department and hopefully if that goes well, that's where I could end up.

However, to the point in hand. I just want to know basically what my rights are in this situation.

My colleague left her old job, basically in the same office as myself, to go and work in the department I'm being cross-skilled in, but on the condition that they return upon the return of the employee who was on maternity leave who normally works in that department.

However, it has since come to light that there is evidence to suggest my Line Manager was setting my colleague up for a fall so the T.U. has been brought in and a meeting is all set probably for next week. I can understand her gripe but its left me feeling awkward.

Our office is basically going down to two staff and I have managed the office for six months without much support in truth and haven't been paid at that pay band the entire time - my Line Manager said that I didn't do enough to warrant it, despite the fact I covered all the aspects of the higher grade's role.

If I was cross-skilled into another department, I would assume until they decide to cut it down to two individuals, my own job is still safe? Also, how much notice would they need to give you before you were to leave that role?

Another thing is that my colleague started another job recently and she, after a short time, turned it down because she could not cope - however, when you leave a job, surely that is that and other individuals must be given the chance to go for the vacant position, despite the fact that the post would soon be going. So therefore, when she moved, in truth, she was no longer part of the setup of the department so can a Line Manager just put her straight back into the office like that? I was speaking to a colleague and they said that this is unfair as it puts added pressure on myself as I'm caught up in someone else's dilemma.

Another curious thing is that my Line Manager said I would work under the new supervisor, who is due in soon, due to my old one leaving, earlier in the year, but then my Line Manager has changed their tack, no doubt because of the fact the T.U. has been brought in and my Line Manager also told me that I would need to train the new supervisor and I stated why couldn't my colleague do this and my Line Manager's response was because I had more experience and a friendlier approach.

Sorry this is long winded but I do need to know where I stand before I myself begin to go down the T.U. route because although my Line Manager has stated that my job is safe and the likelihood of losing it is unlikely, I'm not so sure I agree with things that have happened and just need assurances about where I stand and what I need to do.

Kindest Regards

Rob

Does your contract say 'any other reasonable duties' or similar?

You are miserable where you are so stop fannying about and try something new. Otherwise I forbid you to moan ever again.

• Haha 1

Hopefully if they put me in the other department, I can stay there but I may not be chucked out of my current job, yet. Nothing is going to be decided until next year and I've got all Christmas to think about it, anyways, but I do feel cheesed off that I've bent over backwards for the company and been treated disgustingly in return by being told the office is being cut down to two.

Others I have spoken to said it should be a no-brainer but its not quite as simple as that and my colleague is just as good at the job as I am so I can't really use that as an option but I just feel that should the cross skilling not work then I need to find something elsewhere on unit or indeed nearby as I expressed clearly to my Line Manager. Can't help but think there is something deeper going on here because as stated, my Line Manager has already proven himself to be untrustworthy and there's individuals in our department who I wouldn't trust at all and have too much of an ego and power trip to boot - lower grades don't stand a chance against that and its wrong.

However, the cutting down of staff may turn out to be a blessing in disguise as I can finally get out of the job I am in and get a new challenge elsewhere and not constantly be faced with an unsettling work environment.

you have accepted all of the bad treatment by not applying for any jobs elsewhere, at all.

get on with it!

It does seem that you have ongoing long term issues with your employment and whatever happens you will be unhappy, I would say stop worrying about what might happen and just do what they ask while you look for another job.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Hope you are all well. Some of you will already be aware of my situation at work currently. To update those of you who are in the know, we are currently being cut down to two members of staff so within a period of time, we're going to go down from three to two. Also, I am in the process of looking for alternative employment now as I am not content within my current job.

I wanted to make you aware of an incident that occurred at work today and wanted your opinions on what my rights are in this issue as I am afraid I might be in a spot of bother.

Basically, I picked up some parcels from a courier and saw that two were for sections that had arrangements in place but since the individuals were out of the office, I took them as well as two other parcels back to the office. The courier directly rang me in the office since I had given her the direct extension to the office. Since I had been working on my own recently, it was just easier to do it this way due to the majority of parcels this courier has normally.

However, upon the return to the office, a customer had said that the front of house hadn't followed procedure by calling them to inform them there was a parcel here for that individual - the way I saw it was that it would've been pointless to call out the section when I was on hand and that particular section was just two minutes away from the drop off point at the front of house.

The couriers are well aware of who has their own systems in place for picking up parcels, but they don't follow these systems normally and it causes issues.

Nevertheless, I held my hands up to the fact that the courier should have gone into the front of house to ensure that nobody had made arrangements first with any of their drop off items - this was the only thing I had neglected to mention to them.

However, my colleague, the customer in question and another customer then begun to interrogate me as to the procedures that were in place and despite the fact that I had made that one error, everything else about the situation was OK and if any special instructions were necessary for the items, these should have been included on the package itself and the courier should have taken note. I am going to tell the courier when I speak to them what they need to do in future before directly ringing into the office.

The interrogation began to get out of hand since my colleague and the two customers, one quite strongly, begun to grind at me, despite the fact I had already answered the questions and I lost my temper since I felt I was going around in circles. I turned away the first time I lost my temper and the second time I lost my temper was with my colleague since I felt that both she and the customer were getting very strong toward me and I am someone who does not have a great deal of confidence in terms of confrontation, even at the best of times and even my colleague had stated that the customer had come on strongly toward me. However, I didn't like the fact I had lost my temper and did apologise and try to calm the situation down. For some reason, I was feeling particularly tired/stressed that day.

Later that day, I was called into the Line Manager's office and gave my version of events and was told that the customer may take the issue further - they did not take the issue further as was confirmed later that day by my Line Manager. They stated that they were very disappointed that I lost my temper and that it went totally against the code of the company ethics which I could understand and that I may face a minor disciplinary action and should any further incidents occur, I could find myself in trouble.

What are my rights in a situation like this, if at all, because I don't feel that the full side of the story has been taken on board but since the line manager confirmed that my story and my acquaintance's did not match, it would be difficult to prove either way.

To say I was angry was an understatement and I do feel resentful since I have carried the office for the best part of six months with little hint of recognition for that effort, in truth. My colleague and I had to work hard to ensure we got our bonuses as well, something we were told faithfully would be in our current pay statement, but will have to wait next month for, despite the fact others have theirs already.

I am a good person but I feel I have let myself and other people down and now, things are going to be very difficult for me and that I have probably lost a portion of my line manager's respect even though I don't believe the situation I found myself in was totally my fault, despite what perspective my Line Manager may look at this.

Any advice appreciated and sorry for going on so much.

Best

Rob

I think you have two jobs to do:

1. Recover the damage form your outbursts today. This should be done in a week or two. Consider yourself lucky to get away without disciplinary procedures.

2. After this is over, work on making your management aware of how hard you are working. Miss no opportunity to (quietly) mention the good work you are doing for the company. Wear the company image on your shoulder. (Any company that refers to "front of house" has an image to project and protect - help them do this).

This may sound tough - but questions about your rights are inappropriate. You lost it and could well have copped a Gross Misconduct disciplinary for kicking off with customers.

Hi Bandit127,

Think from what you're saying, which is fair enough, that I will certainly put the outbursts right and apologize to those I lost my temper with. I don't really have anything to prove about the work I have done since I have worked very hard for the company as they know and have a commendation to prove as such but will continue to move on with the company image.

I understand I made a mistake and do feel extremely low right now and feel perhaps I've burnt my bridges with my workplace and perhaps now is the best time, as stated, to seek alternative employment.

My Line Manager has already stated that my job is alright - its only if incidents occur in future of this magnitude that I may find myself in trouble and action will be taken based on what the senior hr decide and emphasized correctly that breach of conduct would not be tolerated. I told my Line Manager I made a mistake and apologized which is all I could do.

At the moment, it feels like that the world has just ended in regards to my job but I'm sure that with this lesson learned, that things will get better but I do feel that alternative employment is the way to go since there have been issues within the workplace which have been going on for so long now and is an incredibly stressful environment to work in.

Thank you for your advice.

Regards

Rob

I would suggest you meet with your line manager for five minutes to explain, that wonderful though the place and the job, you have recently felt it an incredibly stressful environment to work in. Mention you have not had your bonus yet. The ball is now in his court to help you out.

Don't worry about your outburst, it is over and done with and you will appear more human to those who work with you, so don't worry they are judging you negatively. They are already probably thinking of other things. The customer was probably a swine who took delight in winding you up. :-x