style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3529 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in the MOD. Up until now, I've never had a complaint about my attitude towards customers - nor has it changed in the way I deal with them. All of a sudden, a "few" customers have made complaints - that's highly unusual. I'm smelling a rat but its proving it.

Aggression has been summed up on the Internet as being physical (never been that) and through Body Language - I've never done anything as described by the article. I can't understand why these complaints have been made.

To be honest, I've suffered so much in that sector anyways that I'm thinking of just ending it all at my current job because no job is worth the stress that comes with it to that degree. Its just so ridiculous, its untrue and I'm not exaggerating.

You sound very reasonable.

Are they saying you will be dismissed or...? At what stage is it all now? If so, why do you think they may want to bully you out from work? Any personal animosities?

In any event, they need to give proper account of what was being allegedly complained of.

I remember "three or four" guests complained about me, according to my manager, a few years ago... When I asked specifically what I had done or said that made them upset, the manager wasn't able to substantiate the complaint. "I was just rude" - what kind of a manager would take such a complaint seriously? C'mon, some people love to "complain" so as to get a discount...

Was the outcome a verbal or written warning?

It does sound very unusual to be taken to task over this, especially if your line manager can't supply dates and times so that if there were mitigating circumstances such as under pressue, customer was rude to begin with etc. Then if the warning was recorded in any way I would appeal. If it's just a "talking to" then I wouldnt worry too much about it!

How did the complaint come about? Was it a letter, phone call or did the customer speak to your manager?

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

Thanks for taking the time to reply - it was a verbal chat. Wasn't a warning, really. Just to be aware that I was upsetting customers through a so-called aggressive approach. Apparently my colleague said other customers had made complaints about my attitude in the office yet she only told me today - she says she's there to support me yet only tells me today!?! If I had known I had performed increduously (which I don't think I have) in their opinion, I might have been able to do something about it a long time ago.

Anyways, it was a verbal chat and after speaking to a friend at work, she says don't let it wind me up and just keep focusing. I do still believe I have been treated badly as I haven't done anything to anyone which warrants aggressive behaviour - it is such *bs*, I tell you.

• 4 months later...

Hello

I work in a Military post as a Civil Servant and I have a question I'd like opinion on, please, as its beginning to cause me to lose faith in the system I work for.

Basically, we have a document we work to yet when something comes up, people refer to it as a guideline when it suits them and as the rules when it suits them.

I am doing something currently at work which I am not happy about as I feel its abusing the everyday running of the office and have been given strict instruction by the person who writes the document not to carry out this activity yet its been deliberately avoided by hierarchy - any suggestions?

Even the Trade Unions are dismissive of it which I find surprising and yet again, there is an excuse as to why we should do this particular thing because it promotes customer service - I find it laughable - why have rules if they're going to be broken under such circumstances? Surely there is a law or something which prohibits going against the rules?

Cheers

Rob

• 4 months later...

Hi

I wanted to post something in regards to issues I am currently having at work and I wanted your opinions on this.

1) I am working on my own in an office which I am not monitored regularly - therefore, if I had an accident etc. in my office and it was serious, does this go against any health and safety law? There are occasions when I don't see some people for quite some time.

2) I am currently doing the job of more than one person and yet I am not being recognized for the efforts I am putting in. I am not being paid for it either. Also, our bonuses have been removed as well in an effort to save money. So therefore, even if the office was fully manned, what is there to strive for besides ensuring you can do the best you can? Part of the job incentive has been removed.

3) I don't feel 'welcome' in my job - e.g. morale is probably low yet I feel that I am victimised in subtle ways that are not obvious immediately and I think this stems back to something which happened a couple of years back. I know you are not forced to like your colleagues but surely, there is such a thing in an ideal world called professionalism? I also feel that I get zero respect from the majority of my colleagues/management. Does that go against Equality and Diversity if you feel the respect levels you are getting are getting to a point where they almost become unacceptable?

4) Part of my job requires me to go out and pick up parcels from another department - however, a quick reflection on the rules in our book says as staff, we are not to do this - how can the workplace justify this if the rules say its a strict no? They come up with feeble excuses as to why the system needs to remain intact, for example, people won't get their parcels. Whilst to some degree, I sympathize, why is this my problem? I have the original email from the person who wrote the rules to say we're not to do this.

5) I hardly have any communication with my Line Manager - besides our weekly meetings, I am lucky to see him once a week - compare this to another Line Manager who made the effort despite their heavy workload to come and see office staff daily.

If there's anything else I can think of or need to add, I will follow it up. I won't say where I work because the last time I did that, some of the responses I got were harsh in the extreme so any general opinions here are most welcome as I'm considering my options now because I'm fed up with the way I get treated and viewed in all honesty.

I could write a letter to senior hierarchy but I feel this might stir the boat rather than help and I don't think I get the help I need from them to be honest. Can I go to an outside source, for example, A.C.A.S, to get some advice?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Regards

Mr McKay

on a practical level is there a lone worker risk assessment in place?

tbh this read a bit like a list of moans. Do you have an idea of how you want things to be and what they would be like if "fixed"? I think it's reasonabel to ask you to pick up packets. Me, I'd hate to hear from my manager daily, it's feel really oppressive. But everyone is different. Can you express in practical terms what "better" is?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

on a practical level is there a lone worker risk assessment in place?

tbh this read a bit like a list of moans. Do you have an idea of how you want things to be and what they would be like if "fixed"? I think it's reasonabel to ask you to pick up packets. Me, I'd hate to hear from my manager daily, it's feel really oppressive. But everyone is different. Can you express in practical terms what "better" is?

Ouch!

OK, a few things that might help your current predicament. To coin a phrase from BT "Its good to talk" the overriding message i get from you is that you do not feel valued, or motivated to do your current job.

This is a major issue for a lot of employees at the moment and it depends on the company on whether they will do anything about it. I would informally ask to speak to your manager and say about the increased pressure from doing 2 peoples work and whether there is any plans to re-introduce additional help.

In terms of you feeling low morale etc, sometimes that is down to a state of mind or the way in which the company operates, I would suggest that you speak to your line manager, they may not care, they may not do anything, they may even see you as a troublemaker! But you may get some help. If you are struggling under a work load - can it actually be lessened and how? Maybe make suggestions on how you can be helped?

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Having had a quick look at your posting history, you haven't been happy at work for at least 18 months.

Life is too short. What have you been doing to find new work that may be more fun? It is easy to get stuck in a rut.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Lots of people work in an office on their own and dont see their line manager very often, i work from home and only see my manager 4 or 5 times a year, ATBH thats 3 times too many!

At one point in a previous post you said you wewre having problems with other people in your office i would have thought that now you were in an office on your own that would be better>

Bonuses can be removed as they are often non contractual.

If you are doing more than 1 persons work and not getting paid any extra you can either not do it as you dont have time or make time to do it.

TBH at the end of the day you are at work for 8 hrs and you are there to earn a wage not just because you like it, so I would look for another job if as another post said you have been unhappy for a long time.

Employees often say they feel undervalued and not respected but at the end of the day you are just there to do a job, yes its nice if someone says well done etc etc but if they dont they dont I dont really think that that equality and diversity come into this.

Finally on picking up parcels, have you always done this? if so to stop now because the original email says you shouldnt do it may look a bit like being difficult, and if you have done it for a while then why is it different now ? are the parcels more dangerouis? common sense over somthing like this says to me that if its poart of your job and you have always done it then its a bit late to say the rules say \I shouldnt.

Finally I do think that prehaps you worry too much about what other people are doing/thinking etc and trying to second guess what is going to happen, I would advise you to just get on with your job and look for somthing else if you are not happy.

Edited by assisted blonde

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Hello,

Thank you for your opinions and I can understand how it may seem a list of moans but as many of you are already, I'm sure, you have to be in one's position to understand the things one has to put up with.

The underlying message here is just to accept my predicament or move on because so many people are in the same boat. I sympathize. I really do.

Too true life is too short and there's other opportunities but its that little thing called money.

I don't agree that rules should be there to be abused, though. True I might be seen as a troublemaker if I mention this but then, what's the point of rules at work? Funny how people can use the rules when it suits them.

Low morale is part and parcel of the job at times for some people and you are right in when you say I shouldn't take other people's opinions or thoughts to heart but it makes for a depressing working atmosphere.

I've been in my job nine years now yet things aren't getting any better - they get worse - how can you have respect for a job or yourself if you know at the end of the day things won't get better?

Having considered your opinions, I think I either have to stand up for myself or seriously consider my future. Its just a shame that people don't really understand and just want things to run 'smoothly,' even when they know that's a load of rubbish.

Ah well. Thank you all.

Good Night.

Mr McKay

you haven't really expressed what "better" looks like for you. Instead you sound very down and defeated. But, you are the only one who can change things.

What do you want to change? What are your practical plans to bring that change about?

Hi Emmzzi,

If you were doing my job and understood the circumstances, you'd feel down and defeated - in my job, there is no logical structure to the work. People do what they want to do - they don't give two hoots about policy and rules etc. (only when it suits them do they use them). What does one have to gain by working for an organisation that has no backbone and no real desire to strive for decency, instead covering itself in glory through its own PR, whilst masking its real problems? Of course, the company, as many do, gets its fair share of bad PR, too.

You're right, I'm down, because nothing seems to be going right for employees where I work - its one kick after another. There's nothing to strive for and we seem to be having things taken away rather than be given things and have things to work toward.

What do I want to change? Well, I want to work in a job where things should be as they should be. However, I've looked all over the net and I've come to the conclusion that whatever you do, its going to be a difficult ride. I'd like to go into self employment with a venture of my own but that'd take time. One of my main hobbies is autographs so maybe one day, go into business that way. At least an idea and an enthusiastic one.

I do have ideas but I feel like I'm stuck also because I am being emotionally blackmailed into staying in my current job as well, even when its a poor one.

I know how a job should be for me, but what happens in reality is often something very different. The phrase 'Dog Eat Dog' comes to mind and it makes for a very unpleasant, if thought-provoking world. A great shame, in all honesty.

Bluntly, you;re not going to get out of it thinking like that.

If you are suffering from depression maybe your doctor can help?

If it isn;t that extreme, you need to do whatever is necessary to snap yourself out off this - no one can help you but you! What do your family think? Any support there?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

As some may be aware, I work in a Civil Service job and currently, I am experiencing the following problems which I hope you might be able to help with.

1) I am currently filling in for the role of the E1 and I have gone through my Terms of Reference for the E1 and am not doing anything different to those terms yet my Line Manager says I am not warranted the extra pay as I do not do enough to warrant it - if I am doing all the terms of the E1 position within the job, what else am I expected to do. My Line Manager says I don't do enough to put the office on the map. Basically, my two colleagues left the office within the last six months or so and I have been left doing three people's work.

2) My workplace helped me over the last few years with a University course and I have been informed of the graduation date for receivership of the certificate etc. However, the date happens to clash with another colleague's leave and I have been informed that there isn't cover available and therefore, not allowed to go. What are your thoughts on this and what are my options as its not like I'm having a jolly as this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

3) Another thing which I find galling within the workplace is that I feel ostracized at work - people don't really talk to me that much unless they come to the office, there is a lot of the buddy-buddy system in operation as well. Management don't really know how to separate themselves from individuals who hold a slightly higher ranking in the establishment than myself and I can't really understand why policy in the office is so public, if you want. Surely the office issues should stay with the manager as I feel my manager is too easily influenced.

4) Also, I've just noted on my pay that I did not receive a bonus for the current year and despite the fact my report was encouraging, I didn't receive one despite all my work and efforts. I know management don't have to award me one but I do feel put out that I didn't get one because I work in pretty testing conditions and do the work of three people, have kept the office going for four whole months and haven't received any type of compensation for my efforts.

5) The final thing is that I feel that people are rude to me at work and that at times, I feel I am being spoken down to and almost patronized. I do feel that one or two individuals are deliberately hostile towards me as well and can't resist digging though they try to be subtle about it, but on occasions, it is blatant and I do feel that it is bullying and how one individual has been allowed to get away with the things they say is absolutely beyond me as she is not popular with the office or the workplace anyways though I tend not to dabble in vicious circles.

As you can see, there are issues within the workplace at my current job and I just wanted your opinions on what my options are now - I feel I've gone as far as I can go, I've had very little in the way of support overall and every day just proves to be even more detrimental than the previous day where you're basically treated poorly though I imagine my problems are very akin to other people's.

Thank you for any advice you could provide as this has actually caused me some unnecessary stress at home and within my family who are also not happy with elements of problems I am facing within my workplace.

3,4 and 5 I'd say are just life and we have to learn to get along with each other and build relationships.

2 sucks and I am sure they could make arrangements for a day if they wanted. Can your colleague swap at all? Options - none legally so ask again real nice with a good explanation and thoughts on how to cover the work. (Could you do the saturday instead for example?)

with 1. we can advise on grievances etc but it depends how much you want to rock the boat. If your working relationship isn;t great anyway then a grievance won't help. There aren't many other options though. I am assuming you hve documented what you do against the job, given your boss the list, ask for a talk through, etc already?

On a related note - could you be suffeing from depression? Some of the things you describe seem worse if you are ill. If you aren't sure, get the doc to check it out?

I can see what you mean in regards to 3/4/5. However, the ostracized issue at work is controversial as its a subtle form of workplace bullying but I do what others do and just go in, do the job and come home as the majority of others are just so up their own, its cringe-worthy and frankly embarrassing and let themselves down but it is a dog-eat-dog world.

The problem with the graduation relates to the holiday aspect as we all have to work around each other so we can get holiday - I find it ironic that as work had helped me a lot to get this qualification, they won't allow me to go to the ceremony. I do honestly feel I've done so much for them and put a lot on the line and the treatment I have received has been nothing short of abysmal in all honesty. Things are getting worse as well and will continue to do so - I could ask for a transfer but I'm not going to lightly miss my graduation unless all other things fail so I will give it another try with management.

Also, when someone takes a grievance against you for whatever reason, its not dropped and it continues to linger so you can't have the chance to change and improve and I find it highly insulting when people say that the office is getting back on track now when in fact they had no idea the things I and the team at the time had to put up with. I could document what I do in the job but its already documented and if my manager had anything about him, he would've reviewed the list and saw I did do the job and the duties of the E1 and he says I'm not and just filling in until the new E1 arrives and they won't be doing anything different to me - therefore, if the new E1 doesn't do anything different to me now when they start, is it legal for an employer not to pay a wage to someone doing a higher-ranking job than their current job?

Sometimes I suffer from depression but I have good and bad days - what doesn't help the depression at times is the job as its so poorly structured, the people haven't got a clue in truth and its laughable at times. I've been there for 9 years nearly - time for a change?

Sounds like a change might do you good.

You need to pick your battles and decide which are really important to you. Otherwise you become the office moaner and never get anywhere. This is tough in small teams where your boss sucks.

With the holiday having a moan won't help :) I really strongly suggest doing a plan of how the work can be covered by flexitime. No, you won't get holiday, but you'll get your ceremony and that's the important thing.

What is the policy on temporary promotions? For example many workplaces will pay if it goes over 6 months but not until then. Unless there is a written policy there is no legal right.

I also strongly suggest joining a union. They may be able to help if the behaviour becomes more blatant bullying in the future but usually you need to have been a member for 6 - 9 months to get help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I had a situation at work today and to be honest, I wasn't best sure about how to handle it. I just wanted to see if I did the right thing since the department in question has a tendency to have a poor reputation.

Basically, I was asked to collect a package from an on-unit department and I asked whether or not the section themselves had been called as this is policy. The individual's response didn't leave me confident so I contacted the individual department directly to see if this was correct as I didn't want to go outright and accuse the person of lying but as explained, this department have caused me problems as they have had a tendency to not adhere to their policies properly and that affects daily performance at work.

In this case, it transpired the person was telling the truth but what would you have done if you were in my shoes as I don't want to get into trouble.

Thanks

Rob

I'm having difficulty in understanding your specific problem and I'm curious as to whether I'm missing something.

The summary of your situation is, if I understand correctly, that you were asked to collect a package and that you double checked that policy had been followed before doing so. Is that correct? If it is, then I think that my actions would have been identical on the given facts. No harm in double checking anything.

Hi,

The fact of the matter was, I wasn't sure if policy in this case had been followed since the person I spoke to in regards to the package was being honest since they're supposed to contact the section and despite their claim they did, there was just a hint of something that didn't wash with me so I contacted the department who were supposed to collect the package directly and it turns out the individual did follow policy - I just wanted to double-check since I know the department who contacted me about the parcel are known to be dubious.

Cheers

Rob