Carpetright carpet starting to fray and breakup

polarbear123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4221 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

We purchased a carpet from Carpetright and had it fitted by their self employed fitter. He had to return after two months and adjust the hall carpet because it developed a large ripple in two places.

The carpet had been down for 21 months and started to breakup at the hall/lounge threshold strip. Carpetright sent out a man to inspect it and he said he would report back to the branch manager. I was then informed by Carpetright they thought it was a fitting problem. They said they would send out a fitter to rectify the problem as a gesture of goodwill. We waited in all day and he never turned up. I called Carpetright and the manager had forgotten to book the fitter for the agreed date.

Eventually the fitter arrived and refitted the carpet and placed carpet tape down as an extra grip. Only a month went by and the carpet has frayed again in the hallway which is exactly the same place but this time it is even worse. I have also noticed the lounge/diner carpet looks to be going the same way.I contacted Carpetright and recorded the call.Their representative said he will report to the manufacture as it's their problem. He also stated the manufacture may say replace it or want to inspect it.I am waiting for a call from them.

What I am really concerned about is the lounge /diner carpet looks like it is starting to fray at the threshold. If this has to be replaced the rooms will need to be empty.This is where the problems start I am disabled and cannot lift any of the heavy furniture or have anywhere to store it. I know the decision has not been made to replace the carpet yet but I can't keep having the fitters back to refit the carpet all the time. There is definitely a fault with it.

Would carpet right be liable if I have to pay someone to remove and store my furniture ?

In short, the answer is yes. You have the right to be compensated for any consequential losses incurred as a result of their breach of contract, and this would certainly include the (reasonable) costs of moving your furniture. My first move would be to contact Carpetright and explain the difficulties you have in moving the furniture. They may want to arrange to move and store it themselves. If not, advise them that you will be asking them to meet the costs. You will then need to send them a copy of the invoice.

I should also remind you that, although faults may have originated with the manufacturer or the fitter, your contract is with Carpetright, and as such it's their responsibility to put it right. Some 'less reputable' companies have a habit of trying to pass the buck.

Hi polar

Welcome to CAG

Have a read of 10,12 and 13 in my signature.

10) SALE OF GOODS ACT-EDUCATE YOUR RETAILER CLICK HERE

12) SOGA SUMMARY CLICK HERE

13) WHICH? TEMPLATES CLICK HERE

Thanks for the replies.

I still have not heard from either the manufacture or carpet right.

I did point out to carpet right the carpet we purchased had a 10 year warranty against stains and wear. His answer was "wear warranty is holes in the carpet" I said the warranty should cover any premature wear including fraying.

I shall wait until Monday 22nd and call them again.

Hi Polar

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such, explain whats happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do.

Send it to:-

Philip Harris, Chief Executive via the PA

judy.willett@carpetright.co.uk (She's the PA)

Some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

Thanks rebel11.

I will draft a letter if the branch or manufacturer do not contact me in the next few days, I would like to give them a chance to sort this out. Really could do without the worry of what's going to happen with the carpet. I have serious health conditions which can be escalated by stress. I shall inform carpetright of my ill health they may take it into account when considering what action to take.

• 1 month later...

Just an update despite several more phone calls to carpetright all of which I recorded with truecall the matter is still unresolved. All they keep saying is "they have written to the manufacturer". It is nearly two months since I reported the fault. I will call them tomorrow and if not satisfied with their answer write a formal letter of complaint to the email address rebel11 kindly provided.

Hi polar

It might be an idea to take some pics of the carpet, send them with the letter e-mail. Make that you tell them that you will take further action if this matter isn't resolved.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Just an update carpetright contacted the manufacture and they sent out an inspector. His report states the carpet had been incorrectly fitted lol what a surprise. I contacted Carpetright and they said "the manager disagrees with the report and thinks it is a manufacturing problem, as a good will gesture they will renew all the carpet but we have to pay for fitting". The fitting is £155 (reduced by approx £50 should be over £200) and we will have to borrow the money which is a pain so close to Christmas. All the furniture has to be moved but my family are helping and Carpetright have agreed to fit the carpet over a few days so we can move furniture around easier without having to store it. I think it is a bit strange they disagree with the report and I am convinced there is more to this than meets the eye.The offer of the replacement carpet as a good will gesture is obliviously Carpetright trying to get out of admitting liability. They have said the reason we have to pay for fitting is because the fitters are self employed. If we are paying for fitting a second time I am going to ask for the carpet to be upgraded I don't want the same one or a carpet from the same manufacturer. We are going to Carpetright today so will post back the results of the meeting later.

Edited by polarbear123

Update,

We could not have a meeting with the manager as he was not at the store despite being told he would be. I called this morning and they are still offering to replace the carpet but only up to the price we paid. The problem is this weekend they had a sale on and the price was close to what we paid. But because I could not get hold of the manager the sale has ended and the price has increased and Carpetright will not even give us the same carpet as we have now. I have taken legal advice and I have been told to claim off the fitter but I still believe its the carpets quality which is the problem not the fitting. I have checked other areas of the carpet around the door trims which the surveyor never did and they are also showing signs of fraying. This is how the hallway area started and there is now 10mm of carpet missing. I informed Carpetright the damaged area could be a trip hazard and since I am on crutches I could have a fall so it is a danger to my health and safety. I am now waiting for a decision on what offer they are willing to give us.