Ingeus

Raven1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2477 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friend just told me that this Direct Learning thing (an extension of Ingeus?) is an even bigger waste of time. Apparently at the induction you have to play SPEED DATING with the other victims of the programme and then do group presentations on "why we want a job" and "what are the best qualities to have at job interviews". I have to be there at 9am tomorrow morning or my benefits will be affected. I phoned them and told them I have to be in a completely different town at 10:30m to collect my security passes and timetable for a Commonwealth Games summer job and I would appreciate if I could go to the induction another day, and I was told that it was a priority and that it has to be tomorrow.

Is this real life? Why am I being treated like this?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My friend just told me that this Direct Learning thing (an extension of Ingeus?) is an even bigger waste of time. Apparently at the induction you have to play SPEED DATING with the other victims of the programme and then do group presentations on "why we want a job" and "what are the best qualities to have at job interviews". I have to be there at 9am tomorrow morning or my benefits will be affected. I phoned them and told them I have to be in a completely different town at 10:30m to collect my security passes and timetable for a Commonwealth Games summer job and I would appreciate if I could go to the induction another day, and I was told that it was a priority and that it has to be tomorrow.

Is this real life? Why am I being treated like this?

Could tell them it's job related or tell the jobcentre you have somewhere else and why

Well I have just had an alighty row with INGEUS. Normally I calm and collected but this time they p*ssed me off so much I let loose.

Normally I go every two weeks around 1.30pm on a Thursday. My letter arrived last week and it was a 10.30 appointment - fine, no problem with that at all. Today, no letter, no call, but an email from my 'adviser' saying she had booked the wrong time for and my new time was 2.00pm, not "sorry about this, can you make it?" I said I cannot make it as I have made a dental appointment for a crown (second one for fitting) at 2pm and was planning on going to INGEUS at 10.30 then getting the bus in to town (another one) for my appointment.

Next I am asked "you can change your dental appointment can't you?" I replied, "No, they are busy and told me that is all they have free to see me and as it was your mistake I have made plans around my original time" I was then told I was "not flexible and I should do all I can to attend appointments to not risk sanctions against me"

At this point I blew my top and said "how dare you threaten me with sanctions when it is not my fault, I am sick and tired of being harassed and did you know any changes have to be in writing? Did you only just notice your mistake?" I was fuming and ended the call with "make me another appointment in good time and in writing, goodbye"

I then called my old JCP adviser who I get on well with and he was disgusted and said he would speak to them and call me back - anyway, thinking he wouldn't he actually did and also sent me an email as evidence ...

Dear XXX

Re your phone call about INGEUS today. I have spoken to XXXX at INGEUS and said you are a trustworthy claimant with no history of default and WILL NOT be held liable for a mistake that INGEUS has made and I can also assure you that no sanctions will be imposed - I will make sure of this for you when you sign on tomorrow. If you pop in and see me we can have a chat and I will ensure you also get a new adviser if you are not happy to see XXXX again.

A decent JCP adviser and yet again more problems from WP providers. I hope they all lose their jobs and the system falls apart.

I would be grateful if you could let me know if there is a formal procedure for complaing about INGEUS and a specific adviser (I have it all documented) as I do not want to see this person again or I will lose it.

Treated like absolute garbage for something that wasn't even my fault.

Damned disgraceful - though exactly what we've come to expect from Ingeus. In their literature it says they offer a 'flexible service tailored to suit you'. I certainly saw no evidence of this 'flexibility' while I was there; apparently it only extends to the customer, not them.

Technically, you're supposed to first raise any complaints using Ingeus' own procedures and forms - though a fat lot of good that will do, I'm sure. I've never saw any point in complaining to the same company I have the complaint with! Could write to Ingeus' manager and their head office, just to show that you've gone through channels first, but I wouldn't expect much of a response.

DWP Third Party contracts are probably the way to go; they're the ones who make sure the WP comply with regulations. As you have a decent JC adviser, he'll know how to contact them, and you can get him to add his support and comments.

Re lodging a complaint about Ingeus:

Like all other Work Programme Providers you should have been given a copy of their complaints and grievance procedures when you attended your first induction. If you do not have it to hand you could ask for another copy any time.

You will also have signed a form at your induction allowing them to hold on record and use your personal information.

To avoid any future harassment by phone or email you could write to the manager of the office you attend or the area manager asking for your personal phone number and email address to be removed from their files and withdrawing consent to be contacted in any other way except verbally on their premises or by letter off their premises.

I did this when I was on WP. I have since withdrawn my consent for the DWP to contact me other than by letter. After all they need my consent to use my phone number and email address. By giving it and allowing them to use it as they see fit I would basically be giving permission to be harassed, if that is what they choose to do.

Thanks all. I am going to speak to my JC adviser tomorrow when I sign on. I am not having this, I am not one to be bullied or treated like this.

Good for you, Essexmat.

I recall the very first induction meeting with my Provider. There were 8 of us, the thing was meant to start at 9.30 am. A letter had been issued the week before specifying the place and time and detailing the dire consequences of failing to turn up, or turning up late. The office manager was the one designated to conduct the induction and she did not put in an appearance until 10.30 am. I concluded then that this was a dubious outfit and nothing that happened since has caused me to alter that initial conclusion.

I appreciate that the use of sarcasm, demeaning or belittling remarks, can be counter-productive and not to be used without thought, but I have found them very effective tools. The well aimed barb knocks the cockiness out of most of the jumped up, self-opinionated jobsworths, especially if overheard and raise a titter from their colleagues. It also raises fellow claimants’ morale. I used to spend many of the otherwise monotonous hours confined in their offices like battery hens thinking up appropriate put-downs to use when the opportunity presented itself.

It might also be helpful to download a copy of the Civil Service Code of Conduct. It would help clarify what exactly DWP employees are meant to behave like in the execution of their duties and help one to recognise where maladministration is being practiced. This Code could also be extended to include Work Programme Provider employees in their capacity as sub-contracted employees to DWP for the provision of a service on it’s behalf.

Advisors at ingeus do my head in, NOT ONE of them deserve to have a job.

They think they are so much better than us, well if it wasn't for us they wouldn't have a job :evil:

Are they grateful? Not a bit of it.

Serve them right if we all got a job, then where would they be?

Shocking stuff! But not surprised! My advice is to complain. And be seen to complain as well! The funny thing is, jobseekers are laughingly referred to as clients or customers. Despite the fact there is no choice of provision or options offered to jobseekers. However, as a 'client' or 'customer' you have the right to make a complaint.

I did this when at A4e several years ago under New Deal. I complained to a JCP adviser (let's call him Pat) who used to visit weekly. He was not my adviser but made it clear he'd listen to clients concerns. I took him up on his offer and spent 20 minutes telling him all about A4e. Later on that day, one of A4e's inadequate staff members shouted at me "What have you been saying to Pat? You're out of order!" I then went to see Pat and told him what happened. He was as angry as I was. Because his role he was required to give feedback as to what clients say to him. However, it was supposed to be confidential. Pat had words with A4e. As a result, they made a half assed attempt at 'involving' clients more by conducting pointless quizzes and activities.

More recently, when at Ingueus under the WP, I complained about one of their advisers. She (let's call her Meryl) was about the third or fourth adviser I'd seen up to that point and was supposed to be my permanent adviser. Meryl asked me what jobs I was looking for. I mentioned four different job types. Meryl said this was TOO MANY and said I needed to be more specific. Fair enough I thought. But then when I mentioned I was also perusing self employment and was taking the first steps towards this, Meryl accused me of not being serious as I did not mention this first. I made it perfectly clear I was serious and had mentioned it to EVERY one of her colleagues I had seen up to that point and that the first adviser I spoke to typed the information into his PC. "Why is it not on my screen then?" asked Meryl. I replied I had no idea. She then suggested I was lying at which point I said that if their IT system was inadequate and her colleagues were poorly trained, that is not my fault. I enquired about what self employment options Ingeus offered. Her response was that they (Ingeus) did NOT have any such provision. Meryl then asked to provide my CV at the next appointment.

The following week I turn up with my CV in PDF format on a 2GB flash drive. However, she could not print, cut, past or save the document. Why? Because I had security protected my CV making such actions impossible. Meryl became confused when she could not print my CV and even asked one of her colleagues if the laser printer was broken! It was hard to at least smirk at that one! She then asked be to provide her with another copy of my CV this time as a MS Word file. When I asked why, Meryl said so she could 'tweak' it. I refused and said no as I did not want someone as incompetent as her making modifications to my CV and sending it off without my knowledge. When I refused, Meryl's response was to shout "DO WOT YOU WANT THEN!". I enquired again about self employment. Meryl told me once more Ingeus did not help their clients in this manner. However, one of her senior colleagues at an opposite desk overheard this and put her straight by saying Ingeus DID provide self employment advice (albeit in a limited fashion via a third party as I was to later find out). Good job I made notes about every appointment.

As a result of all this, I complained to Ingeus head office about Meryl and the service she provided. They were very apologetic and even offered a meeting at their Leeds office with Meryl present. Sadly this never happened, but I never had to see the useless Meryl again as asked for a new adviser (which probably would've happened anyway). I can only hope my complaint go through to managers at Ingeus' Leeds branch and indeed Meryl herself.

So my advice for what it's worth is to complain. And do not be backward in coming forward doing so. Make yourself heard. Will it improve conditions for you and others? No. Will it improve Ingeus's / A4e's / Avanta's / G4s'/ Seetec's /etc. customer service? Again, no. But it will make you feel better and let them know you are no pushover.

Weel after much going backwards and forwards it seems me sticking up for myself has landed me in the proverbial poo. Not a lot I can do about it but they obviously took umbrage to me sticking up for myself. I am now on a candidate pool so on Monday I have to go in my suit for 2.5 hours to be grilled by some idiot to ensure I am suitable for employment and I can conduct myself - to say I am peeved is an understatement. In addition to this they want me to do various workshops on interview practice and have a mock interview with them. I was being left alone until I kicked off now it seems I am on their radar for pointless mandatory activities. I will be going otherwise I will be sanctioned but I am not going to take them seriously as I know they will be a total waste of time. Great! Anyway, the World Cup starts tonight so going to forget about it for now!

Oh, I was also asked today "why are you just applying for admin jobs in offices?" I said because that is what I have done for 19 years. The reply was "Have you thought about looking at retail work?" My reply was "I am not interested in retail work and never will be" I was asked why so I said "it is minimum wage and as I said I have no interest at all in it" I was then told I was not diverse enough in my searching so I said "I come from a nackground where I earnt £30k+ in London, I am trained as a senior administrator and project co-ordinator, why would I want to stand in a shop and serve people for minimum wage? I have bills to pay and travel to pay for so I am not prepared to do something I do not want to do for little pay less travel and resent being there as it is not fair on me or the employer" I think I am starting to annoy them now!

I haven't had anyone admit that

But it wouldn't surprise me either

Hubby had sent him emails about travel expenses to interview. after ignoring his 5th email he said to call in...

i was with him at the time, and advisor said what can i help you with? hubby says reply to my emails would be nice!

To which advisor said, oh i never read emails or listen to voicemails!!!

and these guys are suppose to help you 24/7 yeah right!!!!

"oh i never read emails or listen to voicemails!!!"

Miss an appointment and when you are asked why you did not attend say:

"I never read my post or emails or answer my phone, sorry"

What makes me laugh the most is, his advisor is called a "Rapid Response Advisor" couldn't make it up could you?

Weel after much going backwards and forwards it seems me sticking up for myself has landed me in the proverbial poo. Not a lot I can do about it but they obviously took umbrage to me sticking up for myself. I am now on a candidate pool so on Monday I have to go in my suit for 2.5 hours to be grilled by some idiot to ensure I am suitable for employment and I can conduct myself - to say I am peeved is an understatement. In addition to this they want me to do various workshops on interview practice and have a mock interview with them. I was being left alone until I kicked off now it seems I am on their radar for pointless mandatory activities. I will be going otherwise I will be sanctioned but I am not going to take them seriously as I know they will be a total waste of time. Great! Anyway, the World Cup starts tonight so going to forget about it for now!

Sounds like they're trying to forestall any complaints you might make to the DWP by suddenly taking an interest in you, thereby showing the DWP what a grand job job they're doing with you, giving you all this help.

You could complain about all of this too, as they're supposed to be offering a 'tailored' service to each customer - which means not sending eminently skilled people on workshops they're already experienced enough to be teaching. At your recent interview you were narrowly pipped at the post purely by a more suited person, not because you lacked interview skills and made a horrendous mess of it. No reason at all to put you on useless interview technique workshops - apart from generating payments for Ingeus, that is.

Not long after starting on the Work Programme I had got to the stage where I felt that unless I did something radical I was at risk of losing my sanity. The final straw was when one so-called adviser arranged an appointment that another one had already arranged for a different time.

I sat myself down and composed a letter, letting weeks of exasperation rip, giving several examples of the incompetence, ignorance and unprofessionalism of the whole staff and in particular the perpetrator of the latest outrage. I add it here in case anyone might find it a useful template for responding to their own situation.

What difference did it make? Well for the remainder of my time there it was obvious that great care was taken, whoever else they victimised and intimidated, they left me alone. It was also noticeable that those who appeared to be most compliant tended to be the one most picked on. The adviser who was the principle target of my angst was transferred to another location, or so I was told, I have never seen her since.

It was sarcastic, blunt, insulting and rude, all attributes that a polite letter should not contain. Anyone of a weak disposition should stop reading now. The important point is that I said nothing of the incidents or people I described that was not true. I considered the addition of my opinions as nothing more or less than participation in client feedback, which they seemed to be very keen on so long as that feedback was complementary to them.

Dear ...................................

Ref your letter dated [Date] and received [Date]:

Important for your information:

This letter is prompted by the letter referred to above. It’s objective is twofold, first to acquaint you with the facts regarding appointments already attended and attendance times and dates already arranged, and second, to inform you that your letter is factually incorrect, and that you presume too much by presuming that you can make threats against me that are not within your power to prosecute.

My first appointment at [Name of Provider] offices was at [Time] on [Date]. The business of this meeting did not get under way for an hour or so after it was due to start, an inconsiderate and unpardonable lapse, which several of those attending remarked boded ill for any constructive assistance to be expected from that quarter in future.

The meeting, after it finally got under way, lasted about half an hour , there was a group of at least 8 other job seekers present, each one an individual, and each with their own range of issues. I was asked to bring a CV and some ID to this first meeting. Neither of those was asked for or checked at the meeting. Some of those present had questions and raised issues that failed to be answered or addressed.

A couple of forms had to be signed, one of which I found suspect and included times and dates that had to be corrected. The opportunity to read and digest the bulk of another form was denied. We were informed that the form merely repeated matters covered by the booklet which we had already signed for. If it transpires that the contents of that form differs from the contents of the booklet, and I cannot see any good reason to sign for receipt of the same information twice, the signatories could well claim to have been misled or deceived into adding their signature to it.

Much emphasis was put on job seekers doing nothing for their benefits and the powers available to [Provider & Provider Staff] to impose sanctions and stop benefits, powers that are not entirely in their gift. Such remarks are nothing if not an attempt to demean those present and portray them as somehow inferior, and instil in them a sense of unquestioning compliance and submission.

It might be enlightening for those who display such smug superiority to ponder the fact that benefits to jobseekers are paid for through taxation in its various forms. There are taxes that the unemployed also have to pay, it is wrong to assert that they do not pay any taxes. Many of those in receipt of benefits will also have contributed whilst in employment. [Provider], and their employees’ salaries are paid from money skimmed off the social and welfare benefits of many who can ill afford to pay. It should not need spelling out who the parasites are.

I know nothing of the lady who took this initial meeting except that she said she was from [Location]. Any knowledge she may have of our part of the country and the local employment situation she did not share with the group. I was told to attend the following morning, 9.30 am – 11.30 am for further instructions. At that attendance I was not told anything by anyone in authority except to sit on a chair, which I did for the whole two hours, all computer terminals where I might make use of the time and do a job search being fully occupied.

The following week from Monday to Friday I attended every morning from 9.30 am – 11.30 am and followed all the instruction given by the “Advisor” (the woman directing proceedings, [Name]). I was informed that she would continue to be my “Advisor” and was there as my fist recourse should I require assistance with any relevant aspects of the Programme, she being in charge of my group.

Her approach seems to be based on motivating and encouraging her group and I have heard no complaints about her methods which rely on mutual respect and inclusion, unlike your own, which seems to be based on a total ignorance of, and intrusion on, arrangements already agreed, and an excessive reliance on threats as a first resort which invariably denotes a dearth of communication and advisory skills.

The week after that I was told to attend between the hours of 11.30 am and 01.30 pm on Wednesday and Thursday. This I did. I carried out job searches, read papers and wall posters, sent off several applications for jobs, on Friday I went personally to pick up an application form for a job which I had heard about, no thanks to [Provider].

For week commencing [Date] it was arranged for me to attend on Monday and Thursday, 11.30 am to 01.30 pm. This, I was told, was to be my continued timetable.

If you wish to contradict any of the above, or any of what follows, please let me have your reasons for doing so in writing, otherwise let it be assumed that you do not dissent.

Now, regarding your letter, referenced above. I do not know you. I do not recall having spoken to you about support or having had any support of any kind from you, hence my remark above that as far as I am concerned you are ignorant of my situation. Claiming to continue this support, that you have not even begun, seems to me to be presumptive arrogance, with the design of inflating your own impression of your worth to me or with a view to impressing your superiors by claiming to have done something that you clearly have not done.

Your letter countermands and conflicts with instructions previously issued. Complying with the first instruction, arrangements already in place, may leave me open to being in breach of the second, complying with the second may leave me open to being in breach of the first. Not only that but it leaves little or no time to seek clarification. Placing me in this sort of predicament could be regarded as entrapment.

I shall attend on [Date] as per the first instruction, since it is too late to alter it now, there being no working days between receipt of your letter and the action it prompts. If you wish to contradict or object to this let me know then. The support that you feel so anxious to impart may also be imparted then.

If any acts or omissions on my part gives you cause to issue threats regarding any benefit I may be entitled to being affected then please let me know what they are. On [Date] I was given no indication of being in breach of your rules, yet the following day you feel obliged to caution me by letter sent to my home. You may, as part of your remit, pass information to Jobcentre Plus in order for them to assess my continued entitlement to benefits if I fail to comply with the requirements of the Work Programme. Beyond that, taking every opportunity to assert powers that you don’t possess is either a delusion on your part or an attempt at threatening, intimidating or deceiving me. Your grasp of the terms and conditions of your contract are precarious in the extreme if you suppose that you can act with impunity to my detriment.

If the standard or professionalism of [Provider] employees can aspire to nothing higher than sending out letters like this, obviously clueless as to the position vis-a vis the recipient, ignorant of their colleagues arrangements with their clients, sending out summonses with menaces to attend at times when one is already booked to be on the premises, then it bodes ill for any expectation of help and support that they are contracted by law to provide. The Government pays [Provider] at least £4,000 for every jobseeker it provides services and support to in securing employment. The least [Provider] can do is ensure that they do not entrust the delivery of such service and support to incompetent ignoramuses.

A copy of this letter will be sent to your superiors at [sub-contracted Provider], their superiors at [Provider] and to the appropriate authorities at the Department of Works and Pensions.

Regards,

Edited by Lapsed Workaholic

Good for you! I sent a 4-page letter of complaint to the heads of the Work Program when I left Ingeus last year, among other things accusing them bluntly of fraud (sending me with 30 years admin experience on a total beginners course). I keep a copy of this letter with my jobsearch and if any JC clerk starts mentioning 'literacy courses' I produce it.. soon shuts them up. Plus, it also warns them that any complaint I send in about them will be equally long and detailed. :)

We need more complaints like this. It's totally pointless just going up to the reception desk of the WP and filling in a simple complaints form, as I've seen some do. We need to hammer the complaint home so they'll take notice.

I complained to the local work provider when they sent me a 'Re-engagement' letter - I pointed out to them that

a) I had been working in a job I found for myself - not through their efforts in any way

b) I was off sick with three collapsed vertebrae in my neck and due to have a CT guided root nerve block injection

c) Therefore there was no way I was going to re-engage with their pointless paper ticking exercises - AND

b) once my current contract ends I will be self-employed and not claiming JSA so therefore their 're-engagement' was pointless.

That was back in September last year, from listening to people still attending the centre nothing much has changed, the WP still thinks it is 'basic laziness' that stops people from taking jobs 'at minimum wage'

I should have originally been advised about going self-employed a long time ago but because I was 'over 35' there was no funding available for me and there was, more importanty - no funding due to them for getting me self-employed.

I'm still employed,, due to end end of July and possily might have the contract extended again - plus I have an opportunity to showcase my craft stuff at the end of July which should help me work out which stuff is saleable and which stuff is not.

Edited by sillygirl1
typos....

Hi, I have read for the second time all through this thread, but can't see anything relevant.

I have been mandated to attend an SSFU course [and provide feedback - that'll be marvelous!]. I did ask what the course was about, but the advisor got arsey and said it's mandatory, so you just have to go!

I wonder if anyone has experience of this course, and why I have to sign up before it starts, if the course is mandatory?

Hi, I have read for the second time all through this thread, but can't see anything relevant.

I have been mandated to attend an SSFU course [and provide feedback - that'll be marvelous!]. I did ask what the course was about, but the advisor got arsey and said it's mandatory, so you just have to go!

I wonder if anyone has experience of this course, and why I have to sign up before it starts, if the course is mandatory?

What does SSFU mean?

TJR JNR

What do you mean by "sign up"? You don't have to sign anything! I refused to sign all documents = just initialled the WP signing in book and fare receipts everything else I was asked to sign I just refused.

If correctly mandated then it would be wise to attend whatever this "course" is, unless you are prepared to fight or take the ensuing sanction attempt.

I was going to start a new thread but this one is OK as it is about INGEUS. OK, where do I start ... On Saturday I injured myself, moved a table and put my back out, I was laying on the floor for 10 minutes and luckily had my mobile in my pocket so was able to call my parents. I was in severe pain and unable to bend or stand, it took me and my parents 10 minutes to get me up from the floor. I was actually crying in pain as it was shooting down my back and legs. My parents took me to the local hospital and the nurse felt to see if I had a slipped disc - luckily not, she said it was muscular and sciatic and prescribed me co-codamol and diazepam. Although I am still in pain it is not as severe thang god and just needs time to heal.

I am due on a pointless candidate pool at INGEUS tomorrow and as the injury happend this weekend this was the earliest I could let them know about non-attendance. The email I just sent is below:

Hi XXXX

I am due to attend the candidate pooling today (Monday) at 14.00. Unfortunately I am unable to attend due to injury.

On Saturday I put my back out and was in extreme pain not able to move properly with shooting pains in my back and legs. The pain was so severe that my parents had to take me to hospital to get checked. The nurse I saw said that I had pulled my lower back muscles and had a sciatic problem and so prescribed me co-codamol and diazepam. I am still in a lot of pain and unable to move more than a few feet at a time so obviously unable to travel or sit for long periods.

I have attached a note from the nurse practitioner for your records.

I would be grateful if you could book me another appointment for this towards the end of June or early July.

I have the other letters you sent which are:

24/06/2014 - STAR

26/06/2014 - INGEUS fortnightly appointment

07/07/2014 - Exploring Job Goals

23/07/2014 - Interview questions

I hope to be OK for these but of course will update you should anything change. Initially it is just today's (Monday) appointment that I need changing.

If I am able to call first thing tomorrow I will but I wanted this on record as giving the earliest possible notice of non-attendance.

Regards

You will also see that I am mandated to attend more irrelavant courses but I am too tired and unwell to argue about it - for an hour and a half at a time I will just put up with it if they want to waste their time as well as mine - gets me out of looking for fake jobs as well.

What I want your thoughts on is as this is genuine and I cannot attend tomorrow will they use this as an excuse to be funny with me i.e. make out I simply did not attend and go for a sanction? I have let them know at the earliest opportunity as as their letter says "if you cannot attend please let us know" I know how these people work and I am not going to be sanctioned for genuine illness.

Also, if for any reason I am not getting better and cannot attend the courses in a few weeks does this mean I will have to go through signing off and claiming ESA or am I allowed the 2 weeks 'illness' without having to go through additional paperwork. I guess they will now see me as injured and unavailable for work - I don't need all this hassle as I may be better in a week!

Any advice appreciated.