Reasons we love our animals

honeybee13
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3807 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello again and thank you to Minkiesmum for the thread title.

I'm doing what I said yesterday and starting what I hope will be a happy thread. For me, it's in memory of our Pixie who has had a sad thread about her since March. Now I'm going to move on and be positive.

Pixie and her sister arrived with us from Cats Protection, 8 weeks old, a bit tatty and in need of worming. They were found outside a vet's surgery in a cardboard box with their brother and sisters, so we knew nothing of their lives before.

Pixie and I had a special bond because she was smaller and seemed even more of a baby than her sister. She soon showed how outgoing she was, loved everyone who came to see us and blithely ignored two of the older cats who resented her being there. She never understood what the house hierarchy was, or cared!

Within a fortnight, the 'babies' had gone from alley cats to princesses in their eyes and Pixie had turned into the mischievous one. She decided the place to sleep was on top of the fridge [and I don't mean an under-the-counter one, more or less full height]. That really freaked a few workmen who came to do things in the kitchen, which I think she enjoyed.

But she was probably the gentlest cat I've met, never hunted anything and sat quite happily next to a bird that had got into the house somehow without thinking of harming it. And when a kitten was rehomed to us later on, Pixie was the first one to make friends, while the others ignored the new one. That was Honey, whose nickname is the reason I'm honeybee. Another story though.

That seems a good place to stop, I could go on for ages.

I look forward to hearing your stories.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

What a lovely story, HB. It is good you have such happy memories :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

What a nice idea for a thread HB.

We lost my Nan & Grandad's dog Gunner many years ago but he was such a character that I often think of him. He used to have a funny half hour at the exact same time every single day. He would go into the garden and choose a stone. He would then bring it into the front room, throw it around and roll on it for half an hour. No one else was allowed to join in or he'd growl!

I have since lost both grandparents too but only have happy memories of all of them. In fact I'm laughing now remembering it!

Edited by Dial Square

Hello Dial Square, I like that. Gunner sounds a great character.

It reminds me of some friends who had a Newfoundland. One night, they woke up to noises and thought maybe someone was breaking into the house. When they went downstairs, they found said Newfy had found a lump hammer [i forget how] and was grabbing the handle in his mouth and throwing it around the lounge! It's a miracle none of their furniture was broken.

I was going to add something about our dog, a Cavalier King Charles age 2. I'm never sure if he's a genius or thick :). But he understands what clothes my OH is wearing. If it's a work suit or tennis kit, he's quite happy to stay with me, but if it's casual clothes, all hell can break loose because the dog doesn't want to be left behind. Is that common? This is my first dog, so I'm learning all the time.

My best, HB

I think dogs do identify their owners outfits, HB. Both mine know if I am dressed for doggy duties :lol:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Many years ago, I took in a rescue dog that had been badly mistreated. She was two and a half when I got her. She was a border collie with a mind of her own. She would never have become a sheepdog as all she wanted to do is play-totally untrainable. I did try - for 17 years!

She could find even the smallest hole in the bushes or fence and escape, go for a nice walk then come home, bark and scratch at the door and then waltz in as if she was the boss. If you tried to tell her off, she would bare her teeth into a silly grin and you just couldn't be angry with her.

As I was strapped-cashwise- I could never afford to get her spayed so the inevitable pregnancies happened but she was a wonderful mum and all the pups went to a good home. She even got pregnant when she was 16 (ish) and had two pups. One was mental-literally and turned vicious on his new owners so unfortunately they had him put down.

The other pup, we kept and she was great. Her mum died when she was 18.5 and the daughter died last year. I always try not to get emotionally attached to any dog but of course I fail - miserably. happy memories. I now have Lizards :|

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Lovely thread and stories :-)

That's a big change from dogs to lizards Silverfox. A beggar to train, though...rubbish at retrieving but great on the "stays" :lol:

I'm still not over losing my best friend...a GSD called Heiko who died in March at exactly 10 years old.

I've previously bred, shown, trained and judged this breed, but got Heiko from a pet breeder to indulge my yearning for a long hair (scorned by the elitists)

I had been widowed 3 years previously and on the day I was due to collect Heiko I was asked out to dinner by a friend of a friend. I refused as I was going for the puppy.....he ended up taking me to get Heiko, and 2 years later we were married! So I got 2 best friends on the same day :-)

When he was about 4 months old Heiko started limping and whimpering one day. Within an hour he was leaning against me shaking and crying. I called my OH home from work and we took him to the vet. An X Ray showed he had a bone disease called Panosteitis, in which the marrow of growing bones developes overgrowths of calcium, putting pressure on the bone from inside and causing incredible pain. Treatment was painkillers and wait for him to grow out of it.

There ensued months of trying to divert this bright bouncy pup from hurting himself. Excercise was extremely limited, so to keep him occupied I invented loads of static games which he could play sitting down...games like picking which plantpot the ball was under, which paper tissue I'd put my scent on, and catching his whole range of toys in quick succession..catch, drop, catch drop ..faster and faster. I also talked to him constantly and pretty soon he was "talking" back. He'd croon the same number of syllables if I spoke softly, or bark loudly if I said BURGLARS!!!. He said "hello" whenever we came home. Over the years he became famous for it, LOL. Even the Tesco delivery guy always wanted to "speak" to him.

Thankfully the pano worked its way through and he was fine by 18 months, but ultimately had to be given sleep when his spine cord degenerated and one morning he just couldn't get up.

All this created a unique bond with this gentle, loving lad. . I still think I can hear him calling from the house when I'm out in the garden.

My best ever, a beautiful soul, bless his huge heart.

2elgto0.jpg

Edited by Undercover-Elsa

What a beautiful dog, Elsa. He sounds exceptional. And I love the bit about 2 best friends on the same day.

I know how you feel. I lost Pixie in March, so imagine we're having similar emotions. Like me, you're remembering the good times, I think it's the best way forward. I just feel grateful that I had her at all.

HB x

Thankyou Honeybee. So true. I feel privileged to have known him.

I do empathise with you...Pixie sounds lovely and a lot like my old girl who died last year. She was the same...never chased birds...I think some pets are just more telepathic to us than people realise....I love my garden birds and have several tame ones who come and go (including a male blackbird who was born in my garden and comes back every year so "Mum" can supply him with mealworms for his kids, LOL. A few days ago I was sat at the computer and he flew through the house looking for me. I was gobsmacked...just saw this black silhouette soaring through the hall towards me. Most male blackies are panicky sqawky critters, too gormless to find their way out of the conservatory, so this one is a bit of a star, LOL)

Luckily my other GSD is used to it, and didn't raise an eyebrow :-)

I 'd go mad without my animals...I said to my poor unsuspecting OH before we got married "One thing we need to be clear on...you can never ever tell me I can't have any animal I want." Fortunately he was quite happy with that, LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Stevie my first border collie - I had him from 7 months to 17.5 yrs. He was the best and the bond we had was total. Sad as it was when he went, I knew it was his time, and I've never been sad when thinking of him - he makes me smile even today!

He was a devil though. I had cats as well, hence a cat flap. He used that cat flap to get things through the front door! I caught him and his best buddy Harry (black and white cat same age as him lived as long) pushing and pulling a dead seagull through it Harry from outside shoving and Stevie inside pulling! The worst, and it had to be these two again - I'd ordered pizza. the doorbell rang, I ran down the hall in my bare feet, no light on, and squelch - landed in something very large, and very unpleasant. When the porch light came on I had my bare foot firmly in the middle of an entire cow's liver - right in the middle of the hall carpet! Harry must have got it - God knows where - and the pair of them did the push me pull me thing through the letter box!

Bless them.

LOL that's amazing. Stevie sounds awesome..and they don't come much brighter than border collies. (Or cats!)

It never ceases to amaze me actually how clever and resourceful they can be, and how they learn to interreact with other species.

Animals in the wild live their natural life, but a harsh one. I've always found that animals..even wild ones...who interact with (caring) humans and other species seem to be happier, calmer and develope their intelligence and sense of "fun" far more. They become a full personality as opposed to a mere creature of instinct struggling to survive...

Where did that ramble come from??

Weird what comes into your mind while waiting for the Tesco man...LOL

What a lovely thread, honeybee. :-)

Elsa, my sincere condolences. What an absolutely beautiful dog. You must miss him dreadfully. :sad:

jackieandwayne, I howled with laughter which was very mean of me. But, oh yuk!!

It's pouring with rain today, but I have just rescued a mouse. Unfortunately our cats bring in quite a few - I think they nest under the garden shed - and I found its less fortunate sibling a couple of days ago. :sad: One of our cats was looking intently at a pile of files in the cloakroom which rather gave the game away and of course behind them was the mouse. Removed cat, shut door, caught mouse and removed to garden. Me 1 Cats 0.

I have always had cats and several of them have been amazing characters. I had a very naughty boy called Jasper who would always pick fights with my other cat who was by nature gentle, but of course he would retaliate. Jasper would then retire looking very hurt as though he had been picked on. I used to take them to my mum's house in the country. She had a large garden, but obviously we didn't let my cats out in case they wandered. Jasper was being so appalling one day to her cats that I removed him to the conservatory and shut him in. The only windows were tiny little push open ones about 12 feet up, above the glass doors. There was no furniture anywhere near the doors. About half an hour later we saw Jasper wandering around the garden. We have no idea how he scaled clear glass walls, but he did!

Jasper had an amazing memory. My builder once threw down some rubbish from the roof and it fell on Jasper. It was an accident, but Jasper never forgave him, and clearly thought it was deliberate and if ever he heard the builder's voice he'd shoot out through the cat door. He was an absolute tart and wanted attention from everyone. A friend of mine loved chelsea buns with icing and if ever she had one she would give him a bit. He liked the bits with icing. He never begged for food, but about 10 years later my mum turned up with a chelsea bun and he went crazy. She couldn't believe he actually wanted some, but he did. He probably didn't particularly like the taste but he knew it was a treat.

He was a very feisty and very strong puss. Over the last four years of his life, he had four major operations on his liver and spleen. They absolutely loved him at the hospital, and would greet him with, "You're in your usual room, Jasper, next to the garden." They said they had never known such a fast recuperating cat. Other cats would come round from the anaesthetic and just lie there. Jasper would wake and start demanding food immediately. Sadly, finally, he died aged 17. Amazingly my other two cats, one of whom absolutely hated him, sat by him all weekend. It was as if they knew he was dying and were keeping him company in his final hours. When we had been away for his operations they had never done this, so I think this time they knew he was going for good.

A brilliant funny boy.

I'll think of a funny story, before I tell any more stories about my other cats.

DDxx

Thank you DD, that's a great story about an amazing cat. I know what you mean about other cats knowing that one is really not well, that happened to me when I had to have my first cat, Charley put to sleep. The two upstarts, who she had hated, sat with Charley and me all morning before I had to take her to the vet.

Jasper didn't by any chance have a Burmese streak, did he? I've seen them use pretty high windows as an entrance or exit. But 12 feet is impressive!

HB x

Hi HB,

No, no burmese whatsoever. He was a big fluffy boy, otherwise know as a Domestic Long Hair (euphemism for long-haired mog). What was really funny, which I didn't mention, was the look of utter disdain he gave us when he was walking past the window. It was a look he had perfected. When I moved into a new house which was going to be a building site we bedded down for the first night surrounded by bags and boxes everywhere. In the morning my mum, who had stayed overnight to help with the move, said to him, "Well, Jasper, what do you think of your new home?" He gave her a look of utter disgust, tossed his head and walked off! Who says animals can't understand what you are saying to them.

DDx

What a lovely thread, HB.

Elsa, Heika is gorgeous, very Handsome and what memories.

BCOBS

Yesss! Do tell Cb!!! :lol:

DD..Jasper sounds awesome! Interesting about the sitting in vigil. My old girl died aged 25 last year, sweet, gentle Muffin. Throughout her life she sat in vigil several times. My lovely persian, Razzle, had a stroke and we nursed her at home for her last few days. Muffin sat by the box almost the whole time. Similarly when my previous GSD Jacob became terminally ill, she sat by him right on his mat. I have a pic somewhere.

We always said, if she comes and sits next to you for long...call an ambulance!!!

Thank you CB. Do you have a story for us too?

HB x

Oooer, yes very likely.. I will show and tell some time next week :)

BCOBS

Hello there, I hope everyone is well, and your pets of course :).

I don't know if you've seen this. I had an email from PDSA the other day about their book of pet remembrance, which is a sweet idea for us softies. Admin have OKd it for me to post a link for anyone who's interested.

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/how-you-can-help/donate-to-pdsa/donate-in-memory/national-collection-of-pet-memories/book-of-remembrance?WT.mc_id=174711&utm_source=campaigns&utm_medium=MEV&utm_campaign=MEV174711

HB x

What a great idea....

I had my first cat 15 yrs ago. she was a stray and we caled her Minnie... Minnie lived with us for 12 happy yrs until she succumbed to cancerous tumor on her mouth.. we had her cremated and buried her ashes in our garden with a plaque to rem her by..

then my mate wanted to get rid of one of her cats as she left them outside in all weathers.

we rescued the cat and called her * willow* * wills* is white with grey markings.... she went to have one litter of 5 kittens. one died, my mate had one and we kept 3 of them... Salem ( all black n slinky hence her nickname Slinkus Malinkus) Seymour, Toffee are white with black markings... then we found Oscar one day on way home from school with my daughter... he wasnt chipped, malnourished n underfed. we had him nuetered n chipped and hes now a healthy soft kitty..... then we were told by my mate of 2 half siamese boys ( brothers) whose friends prize winning show siamese cat got out and got pregnant with a bog standard moggy. so we took in the boys and named then Homer & Monty ( hubby is a simpsons fan!) then we took in a chocloate brown cat around 10 weeks old whose mum n her were feral. we named her Robyn...Robyn has had one litter of 4 kittens and we have kept three of them. we have named them Scampi, Furbie, ( shes the only longhaired one,) & Sookie the chocolate one like her mummy.... i also have 29 bunnies! 11 are 3/5 weeks old rest are 3 yrs old... i have a huge back garden. i also have a petri ghecko, 4 african land snails my son has had for over 12yrs 7 various unusual tropical fish.. oh yeah and 2 guinea pigs and a husband and 2 children!!!