16 month old TV broke what can i do?

mr22
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5132 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When it does go wrong with a supplier this is usually because of a suspicion that the buyer is trying it on, with a dishonest complaint. There not so many who set out to disappoint their customers; it is not so good for business.

:)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

subbing.

Decent advice so far, ask the question first, then go in guns blazing later. DSRs are not relevant, don't mention them. Stick to SoGA rather than EU regs as any action taken will be brought under this and the seller is likely to understand. You don't want the seller writing you off as a nut.

Hi Everyone,

I got a reply from Dixons and am not sure what to do next, any help much appreciated. They state an engineers report but do not say will they pay for the tv to be repaired etc, here is the email reply i got from them.

Dear Mr Xxxxxxxl,

Thank you for your email dated 3rd April 2010.

I was concerned to learn of the difficulties that you are experiencing with your television and apologise for the frustration and disappointment caused. We understand that products can develop a fault outside the guarantee period.

Please could you provide us with an independent engineer’s report, to assist our investigations. This report must state the nature of the fault, its probable cause, diagnostic procedures used and the total cost of the repair showing a breakdown of labour charges. If the product cannot be repaired, this must be stated.

Should your claim be successful, you will be reimbursed for the cost of this report. Once we are in possession of the above information, your claim will be given our full attention.

Yours sincerely,

Glen Frost

Dixons Customer Support Team

Any help would be gratefully received i am new to this sort of stuff.

Thanks,

Mathew

i'd pop in to your local dixons , show them that email & ask who do they recommend to do the report

else if you know someone local get them to do it.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

i'd pop in to your local dixons , show them that email & ask who do they recommend to do the report

else if you know someone local get them to do it.

dx

There is no Dixons store by me they shut down several years ago and are now only web only.

I don't know what i am looking for. I mean is it a electrician i need to look for?

Thanks,

Mathew

no tv repair shop

try a search engine

just type in

tv repair shop in bloggsville

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As expected, they want to be sure that you are not just trying it on.

At this point I would aim for a person to person conversation with somebody with the authority to act, in order to intimate that a provisional estimate indicates that the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds what would otherwise be settled for as compensation, so are they sure that they want a paid for report to be commissioned, because they would then be expected to cover the cost of that as well, and if they still say that this is what they want, fair enough, let them pay through the nose for the full monty.

Think in terms of lines of least resistance.

:eek:

Hi,

Do you think i should use comet?

They are only £27 for call out charge at the moment online, my only gripe is that they are Dixons, just different name. They do not say anything about a engineers report but i can phone them and ask them, plus they say state the promo code on the phone to get it for same price as online.

or go to a smaller company, i know one in town but not sure if to stick to the big dealers.

I contacted them back and asked about do they have any recommendations and wheter they specifically require any particular requriements other than those sent in the email.

I also asked wheter all costs will be covered when the engineers report is done like repair/replacement tv etc.

Thanks,

Mathew

Edited by mr22

Comets aren't Dixons, two different companies, (I worked for both), I would try and get an E-mail from Comets that you are requesting a full engineers report i.e. exactly what Dixons want. Eliminates problems later.

Hi,

Do you think i should use comet?

They are only £27 for call out charge at the moment online, my only gripe is that they are Dixons, just different name. They do not say anything about a engineers report but i can phone them and ask them, plus they say state the promo code on the phone to get it for same price as online.

or go to a smaller company, i know one in town but not sure if to stick to the big dealers.

I contacted them back and asked about do they have any recommendations and wheter they specifically require any particular requriements other than those sent in the email.

I also asked wheter all costs will be covered when the engineers report is done like repair/replacement tv etc.

Thanks,

Mathew

Edited by rebel11

cant see any issues there use comet, by all means

dx

and they

Oh thanks i never new that i thought comet was part of them to.

Well i will wai now to here back off Dixons first. I mean i got all emails saved that they send me and what i send them for proof. When i get the go ahead i think i will call Comet.

Thanks everyone.

Will keep you updated :)

Mathew

Hi everyone,

Got a reply from dixons and they said:

Dear Mr Xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email dated 6th April 2010.

We do not have any recommendations, but the engineer would need to be suitably qualified. If you contact Toshiba, they may be able to recommend a register local Toshiba engineer. The resolve we would offer would depend of the report supplied by the engineer. If your claim were successful, we would firstly pay for the product to be repaired. If a repair is not possible or was uneconomical, we would look at providing a contribution towards a replacement.

I appreciate you taking the time to contact us and hope this answers your enquiry in full.

Yours sincerely,

Glen Frost

Dixons Customer Support Team

I went on Toshiba website and there were two repair places near me that was Toshiba approved but they no longer exist after checking them out.

I am trying to find someone in Cardiff area and unable to so far. I went to local town Canton today and there was two electrical places there but none offered a repair/report service.

I am also concerned by Dixons reply where they say

If a repair is not possible or was uneconomical, we would look at providing a contribution towards a replacement.

Sounds like if a repair was not possible they would contribute to a replacement but don't mention wheter it would be full amount i paid for TV or not. This concerns me allot as they could offer to pay much less, i contacted them as told earlier in the forum just to clarify on one or two things.

So i will have to keep looking for someone in my area but what do you think of that email? i feel somewhat sickened as it seems they won't pay me the full price i paid for the TV when i do get a report done.

Thanks

Mathew

Thanks Rebel11,

I will ring them up euronics.

mmm, about Dixons this is what is annoying i clearly stated in my last email will they cover all costs no matter how much and they replied with that email. I feel a plonk replying again as i did ask clearly enough, yet they are not giving a clear answer either. They just keep saying based on the engineer report.

Thanks,

Mathew

Another thing you could do is type the model number into google, but add 'Problem' or 'Complaint', i.e. Toshiba xxxxxx, see what Google turns up, see if other people have had a similar problem with thier set. This will help you with your complaint.

Think in terms of lines of least resistance.

If it's easier to say nothing than it is to say something, that is what they do.

Person to person it is not so easy to avoid a question or a claim, e.g. "you will have to ...." rather than "will you ...".

:cool:

Hi,

Just to let you know i will still keep you updated.

I was rushed to hospital on Wednesday with a collapsed lung and been in hospital since so not been able to do anything.

I got an email from Comet and they said there is an additional charge of £20 on top of the £27 for a report. I found this strange why they charge an extra £20 ontop when the engineer comes out to look at the TV anyway which i thought would have came with a report anyway, but they said no it's an extra £20.

So i will book it asap, i am drowsy and somewhat drugged up at the moment.

Will keep you updated on what happens and will likely ask for more advice very soon.

Thanks

Mathew

Thanks rebel11,

Just to keep you all updated the engineer is coming today.

I explained to Comet what i needed stated on the report etc and they said it was fine.

Once he comes today he will do a report, then whilst he is here he will phone is manager who i spoke to who will take £20 from my card to pay for the report as the report is paid seperartely from the £27 call out charge, then his manager said he will write the report with everything i need properly etc and send it via post within 7 working days. Including both receipts one for the £27 call our charge and the other for £20 which is for the report.

When he comes and does the report he will ask me to agree to it so i will go through it first and make sure i am happy with it.

Thanks

Mathew

Did you notice this other thread?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/250388-trading-bargains.html

Is there a reason for the company to go as far as the commissioning of a professional report if not to fancy their chance to beat it?

If they do, I am wondering why they do, what the weakest point in the argument was.

:shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Update:

Comet messed me about abit as they sent report without receipt which i needed as Dixons requested it in previous email before.

So today i finally sent off the report and receipts to Dixons, i sent it to them via fax and got confirmation to prove i sent to fax aswell.

Fingers crossed they will sort it.

They report clearly states that customer not at fault tv has broke down due to naturnal causes etc, the cost of repair is the same price as i what i paid for the TV so i think they may just replace.

What was strange Comet sent me a first report but it did not state all the information that i requested them to state on it and the first quote on report was £595 to repair and second report which states everything is £487 which is bizarre, makes me wonder if Comet are at it.

Either way it been sent and hopefully they will ring me now soon and refund the £47 i paid for the callout and report itself.

Thanks everyone and will post as soon as i here back.

Thanks

Mat

Hi,

UPDATE:

Sent fax on 27/04/2010 to the Fax number i was given in an email from Dixons, suprise suprise when i got to the post office it was a dead line.

Went home contacted Dixons again via phone and was given a new number. Went back to post office and this time the information they wanted was sent to them.

Two days later i contacted them as i had no reply via email or telephone. I was told they not got the fax althou i told them i got my proof of sending as the fax machine printed a successfully sent which includes date/time and how many pages.

So then i got a Call from someone from Dixons to say to send it again but this time to another number! thats rite a third number. I told them as soon as i get off the phone i will fax it, i was told ok etc.

I went back to the post office for a thrid time and yesterday faxed it all again, again i have proof of faxing.

I was told by the person on the phone to email Dixons once i sent the fax so they are aware, which i find stupid but i did as soon as i sent the fax.

Today they contacted me via email from my email yesterday to say i sent the fax, and now once again they said they not got the fax because if faxes are not taken from machine by end of working day they are scrapped, not only i think that is rubbish the person in the email had a cheek to state " as soon as this report is sent in we will be able to resolve this matter." . Who do they think they are? i have sent it twice already, it had costed me £6.00 in faxing so far plus phonecalls to a 0844 number which is costing me a fortune, i know that as last month i contacted a different company on an 0844 number and was charges nearly £5 for being on the 15 minutes. Infact i think it was more.

So now they want me to send it all again for a third time at another cost of £3 plus phone them to tell them. So it is costing me probably nearly £15 .

What do you people advise as i just refuse to resend again as they are clearly taking the mickey out of me.

Thanks

Mathew