16 month old TV broke what can i do?

mr22
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Tesco gave me £270 ( about 50% ) when my two year old sony went bang, which I thought was about fair. took two weeks for cheque to arrive, I did not have receipt either. got it repaired at a sony dealer for £140, while I was waiting for cheque. result. Have you had it checked to see whats wrong.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tesco gave me £270 ( about 50% ) when my two year old sony went bang, which I thought was about fair. took two weeks for cheque to arrive, I did not have receipt either. got it repaired at a sony dealer for £140, while I was waiting for cheque. result. Have you had it checked to see whats wrong.

I bought from Dixons online so i got electronic receipt etc. Also yes i have had an engineers report done and it's going to cost more than the tv value to repair it.

I am just waiting back on reasonable offer from Dixons as there previous offer was not acceptable.

Thanks

Mat

Who advised that Trading Standards would deal directly on your behalf? My advice was that it is possible to arrange for Dixons to discuss it with Consumer Direct, directly, as they please.

It is the duty of Trading Standards to enforce against bad practice on behalf of consumers in general. It is not the duty of an officer to serve as an unpaid solicitor, to negotiate a private deal.

"as they please" is the key. Anybody could be invited to arbitrate so long as Dixons agree to that, as a cheaper alternative to the Country Court, but nobody owns the authority to judge the merit of a claim otherwise, short of legal action.

If you check with Consumer Direct they will tell you that their opinion is exactly that, an opinion, not an enforceable judgement.

Consumer Advice said they can help deal with Dixons on my behalf. I asked them on the phone but they said i have to send a letter first which i have done and awaiting a reply. Thought i would here something by no but still not but will give them the full 10 days.

Thanks

Mat

mmm, i wonder if Dixons is going to reply as i thought i would have heard something by now. I get the feeling they are ignoring the letter or will come up with an excuse along the lines of "we sent a letter to you, must have got lost in the mail".

Mat