16 month old TV broke what can i do?

mr22
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bought a Toshiba 32 Inch HD TV on 26/11/2008 and received it just before christmas 12/2008.

For past few days there was some lines showing on the screen like if it was some sort of inteference. Then today i turned it on and there is sound but nothing shows on the screen, the screen looks dead. I changed cables etc and done the usual.

I am very upset as you could imagine. I paid £426.64 for the TV and for something at this price to pack up just after 16 months is unacceptable and due to this i feel the fault would have been there within the first 12 months.

Toshiba did offer me a warranty a few months after having the TV but this was nearly the same price as the TV which i declined as the warranty was to expensive.

Can someone advise what i should do? i here about the 6 year law. I bought it from Dixons online. I cannot find a number for Toshiba Uk anywhere, there site is a mess to look through.

I will do anything needed to fight to get it replaced/repaired as i feel for the price it should last longer than 16 months.

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 The Sale of Goods Act 1979, amended in 1994, says that when you buy goods from a trader they must correspond with the description, be of satisfactory quality - which includes lasting a reasonable length of time - and be fit for the purpose. If the goods aren't of 'satisfactory quality', you're entitled to claim your money back or to claim compensation, which is normally the cost of repairs. This lasts for up to six years after you bought the goods - five years in Scotland. The retailer, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out the problem if the goods don't meet these requirements. A manufacturer's one-year guarantee is in addition to these rights - many offer free repair or replacement without quibble. Extended warranties are an extension of this.

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/making-complaint/template-letters/

Send them a letter, Recorded Delivery.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. May i ask i contact Dixons not Toshiba then by recorded delivery?

Also on that link you gave me which template do i use? if you could specify the template number, sorry i am not sure which one it is.

Thanks,

Mathew

Edited by mr22

Hi rebel11.

Two of the several options says:

I wish to claim a repair

I wish to reject the goods and claim a replacement

there are more options but them two sound the one of the ones i want? what should i request a repair or replacement? am i entiteled to replacement or just repair? Not sure which is best.

Thanks and yes i will keep you updated and send via recorded delivery and keep myself a copy.

Thanks

Mathew

Go for 'I wish to reject the goods and claim a replacement', I think you might have to settle for a 'Repair', which every you should end up with a working television, hopefully they will replace it. Don't take any rubbish from them, talk to thier Head Office. Tell them you expected the TV to last for at least 15 years and your very angry and diappointed. Make sure they keep you informed. If you don't hear from them, chase them up.

Edited by rebel11
  • Haha 1

Wow.

Rebel11, You are such a fantastic help :)

This is my letter i added more to it? what do you think? should i make any admendmants?

Thanks

Mathew

MY ADDRESS HERE

XXXXXX

XXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXX XXX

TEL: XXXXXXXXXXX

MOB: XXXXXXXXXX

03/04/2010

Dixons

PO Box 1686

Sheffield

S2 5YB

Dear Sir/Madam,

Order Number: XXXXXXXXX

Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)

On 26/11/2008, I bought a TOSHIBA 32XV555DB TV from you for £426.64 which is not of satisfactory quality. I have it delivered just before Christmas 12/2008.

The delivery address at the time was:

OLD ADDRESS HERE

XXXX XXXX

XXXXX

XXXX XXX

The payment address at the time was:

OLD ADDRESS HERE

XXXX XXXX

XXXXX

XXXX XXX

The problems are:

• TV screen is dead. Does not show any sign of life.
  • The power switch button does not always turn off the TV

I wish to reject the goods and claim a replacement under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) as the goods are not of satisfactory quality.

Under the Sale of Goods ACT 1979 (as amended) when I purchase a product they must correspond with the description, be of satisfactory quality, which includes lasting a reasonable length of time and be fit for the purpose. The product in question is not of satisfactory quality as after only 15 months the TV has already became faulty and no longer usable. It is also not fit for purpose as it is no longer usable and have not lasted a reasonable length of time. I expect such an item to last for at least 15 years.

Please respond to my complaint within 14 days from receipt of this letter.

Yours faithfully

M. Xxxxxxx

I put 15 months as it is not 16 months until the end of this month.

Oops.. i put wrong amount of months **Corrected**

Edited by mr22

not being funny, but i wouldn't start firing off demanding letters yet.

Dixons online have a contact us on the site

i'd use that and simply state that i brought the tv on XXX date, it has now become faulty.

with regard to SOGA and DSR [distant selling rules] what process do i need to go through to get you to repair my TV - thankyou.

SOGA/DSR is not 15yrs, neither is it 5 nor 6 depending upon where you live, it should last for a 'resonable time'.

there are not 'set' scales, but typically what a consumer should expect the product to last for, typically for a tv, 3-4yrs is about the norm.

outside of that, i've not seen it honoured.

the process you will follow will probably require you to get an ind eng to inspect the TV [or they might do this by sending someone themselves] to confirm the faults.

if you do this it will cost you £25-£30 which will be refunded upon repair.

if they cannot repair it within 28days [typical timing] then you are within your rights to request a refund, this will normally be in the form of vouchers to spend instore, upon the market value of your model today.

else they might simply replace directly with a current model of equal standard, but you might have to make payment of a few pounds to 'make up the diff'

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi DX,

I know they have a contact us on there website but thought i would be best keeping it to letter.

Also could you help me admend the letter above to make it correct?

Thanks

Mathew

There isn't enough data to predict the life of these sets accurately. They're just too new for long term reliability study. LCD manufacturers state that the panel should not reach half brightness before 60,000 hours.

I'd expect my TV to last longer then 3-4 years, 'but typically what a consumer should expect the product to last for, typically for a tv, 3-4yrs is about the norm.'

mr22

Ring them up monday, ask the above question, proceed from there.

Leave this line out, I expect such an item to last for at least 15 years.

Edited by rebel11

exactly so you cant claim 15yrs.........

anyhow.

those two lines i wrote should be enough to start the ball rolling.

the reply will comeback as an email which can be printed for your 'papertrail'

you dont need a sledgehammer to crack a peanut, lets see what they say first.

dixons are pretty good

we also have a contact in CAG here too if things get funny.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi DX,

I know they have a contact us on there website but thought i would be best keeping it to letter.

Also could you help me admend the letter above to make it correct?

Thanks

Mathew

Ok i have changed it to 4 years in my letter, anything else i should include/remove. I rather not contact them via there website as i rather keep it all by letter, but if you think email first DX then i will.

Can you help me with what i should write in the email?

I don't know this sort of stuff so anyhelp DX would much be appreciated.

Thanks

Mathew

dx,

The 60000 hour claim isn't a figure that I have invented, TV sets are more reliable then ever. If the set is used on average 8 hours a day, the lifespan of the set is over 20 years.

mr22,

Just explain where and when you purchsed the set.

Explain the fault.

Ask, with regard to SOGA and DSR [distant selling rules] what process do i need to go through to get you to repair my TV.

That should do nicely.

Edited by rebel11

Hi,

This is what i put in email:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Order Number: Xxxxxxxx

I bought a TOSHIBA 32XV555DB TV from you for £426.64 on the 26/11/2008 and had it delivered 12/2008 just before Christmas.

It has now became faulty.

The TV screen is dead, it has no sign of life and the power switch button does not always turn the TV off.

With regard to SOGA and DSR [distant selling rules] what process do i need to go through to get you to repair my TV ?

Thank you,

M. Xxxxxxx

Problem is there is no submit button?

They updated there website so any purchases before a certain date this year is no longer available online and i had to create a new account as because they updated there systems etc all accounts before this year was removed.

So i don't know if it sent or not. I just hit enter on keyboard instead and it showed a summary and that was it i think there should be a submit button on the summary page to send it 100% but there isn't. I think this is because from the drop menu i cannot select an order number as any orders prior to a certain date this year cannot be viewed online.

Thanks

Mathew

I found this email dixonswebsales@dixons.co.uk on there website so sent it via outlook as i got a copy in sent folder.

Will keep you updated and thanks for all the help. Will surely be needing more of it probably.

Edited by mr22

mr22,

I would ring them 9.00a.m. Tuesday, have pen and paper ready. Just incase it hasn't gone threw.

You don't want to think it's gone threw when it hasn't. Contact us on our aftersales line on 0844 561 1111

mr22,

I would ring them 9.00a.m. Tuesday, have pen and paper ready. Just incase it hasn't gone threw.

You don't want to think it's gone threw when it hasn't. Contact us on our aftersales line on 0844 561 1111

I found an email address on there website. Posted above ^^.

So i got proof of sending it to them. Fingers Crossed everything will be ok althou i have little doubt it will go smoothly.

Thanks everyone. Like i said will keep you updated and be coming back for more help on the matter if and when needed ;)

Thanks

Mathew

Received an automated reply and case ref so i know they got it :)

Edited by mr22

The distance selling rules do not refer to damaged goods, rather intended to deal with issues that arise immediately because of a distance contract.

Rather than quote that or the Sale of Goods Act, I recommend to refer to the European Directive 99/44/EC, which the relevant parts of the SOGA are deemed to implement, because it outlines a consumer's rights in a clearer fashion, and if you refer to it as the European Standard, the concern of the community adds weight to a complaint. While it is commonly assumed that a community directive is some sort of voluntary option for a government to consider, the opposite is true; a European directive carries more force than the statute of a member state.

5. of Article 3 would thus be the first port of call:

5. The consumer may require an appropriate reduction of the price or have the contract rescinded:

- if the consumer is entitled to neither repair nor replacement, or

- if the seller has not completed the remedy within a reasonable time, or

- if the seller has not completed the remedy without significant inconvenience to the consumer.

EUR-Lex - 31999L0044 - EN

Hi,

Thanks Perplexity.

I have sent it now.

I will wait and here back and if needed add it to the letter and get advice here.

Thanks

Mathew

best way

keep it low key and simple

no need to keep quoting this or that rule yet.

give them a chance.

its all very well talking about 15yrs 20yrs but thats the screen nowt to do with the rest of the tronics inside.

nuff said.

dx

and they

I have worked out roughly my TV has been on for about 40,000 hours since having it. That is terrible. I wish i stayed with my bulky tv and just bought a freeview box, i mean at least they lasted longer :sad:

My stomach is doing backflips. I don't have money to buy a new one, i have been ill for past 3 years so been unable to work meaning no money to splash out on another. I don't have any spare TV for the meantime either. I just asked my family and nobody has a spare so i will just have to have no TV for some weeks i guess. As i am sure i will have a nasty fight on my hands and probably will loose. But this forum and the help gives me some hope.

Gutted :mad:

we are really jumping the gun here

thats why i dont recommend worrying new users about soga etc etc till we know they will not repair.

99/100 they do without a fight.

24posts now winding the user up about nowt when one would of done.

dx

and they