Council PCN with transposed letters of number plate..is it Enforceable?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I searched the forum and found some instances of this, but not one like mine.

So i need advice on what to do.

I have a parking charge, and the details on the ticket are correct. However, when i phoned to pay the number plate was incorrect. A 2 had changed to a Z, and a D had changed to a 0.

Does this mean I don't need to pay because the wont chase me as the system has the wrong plate, or will they recheck the ticket if not paid and make me pay the full amount?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi - as the parking ticket was physically put on your vehicle, the only way of tracing where you live is by doing a DVLA/PNC (depending on who issued the ticket as you've not said) and check to see who vehicle is registered to.

As you state that a 2 is now a Z and a D now an 0 that registration will not be registered to your address, if a correct registration at all, so in effect they cannot proceed.

However, I would point out, that as I work for a local authority in a transport office, this type of mis-read of letters/numbers is quite common, especially with '2'. I think this is a case of the person who wrote the ticket having unclear handwriting and they could well go back to them to ask them to clarify it.

You could risk ignoring it hoping they won't trace you, but if you do and they catch up with you, you are likely to have a larger fine to pay or a court summons.

Hope that helps a bit!

However, I would point out, that as I work for a local authority in a transport office, this type of mis-read of letters/numbers is quite common, especially with '2'. I think this is a case of the person who wrote the ticket having unclear handwriting and they could well go back to them to ask them to clarify it.

You could risk ignoring it hoping they won't trace you, but if you do and they catch up with you, you are likely to have a larger fine to pay or a court summons.

Hope that helps a bit!

Errrr, NO ! ? How can you advise when we don't yet know what it is OP has received?

If it's private - happily forget it - unless they start to chase via vid evidence - then come back here and it will be treated as normal ppc ticket.

If Council PCN then even if they have photo evidence and issue an NtO (trying it on) it won't matter because the PCN would be invalid anyway.

Again, come back if that happens.

If it's an FPN or ECN issued by Police or Council - then you may have a problem.

Please answer the question from A127.

-

• 1 year later...

A ticket was issued and put on my car but the wrong reg no. was used xx## xxL instead of xx## xsJ

A small difference but wrong all the same. I now have a Notice to Owner with the wrong reg number sent through the post. 4 months after the ticket.

They have all the photos of MY car but the documents have the wrong reg number.

What should I do?

My thoughts are send it back with a tick against the "I never owned the vehicle in question"

Advice please...

err, how did the council get your address from the DVLA with the wrong number ? I have to double check, you are really really sure the printed VRN in the NTO (not in any pictures) is not your vehicle ? check the printing carefully. "I was not the owner of the vehicle..." applies nicely doesn't it :)

Edited by lamma

Iam guessing they got my address from teh pictures which clearly show mu reg number. The NtO is incorrect by 1 letter (ends in YSL) My reg ends in YSJ.

You can see how the error has happened...

The form has a tick box with "I was never the owner of the vehicle in question..."

I guess I'm in the clear then?

The only issue is whether the correct reg number is on the PCN.

Since it's not, you just need to tick "The contravention did not occur" and "I was never the owner of the vehicle in question" on the NtO and merely say "The PCN is invalid as I am not the owner of registration ABC 123 as described on the ticket"

Both of the tick boxes would apply here, so tick either or both. It doesn't actually matter what you tick, just telling them the reg number on the PCN is wrong will suffice.

lets see what they do. may be worth a email to the DVLA asking when the request was put in for your actual VRN (and when the response was sent back to the council) just in case it sheds some light on the council's 'creativity' over the VRN. naughty council. they should not be able to amend the VRN once the PCN is issued - and they haven't. but they have spotted their mistake and tried to 'correct' it by unlawful means. If any of us did that and tried to make a financial gain from it we would get arrested. And if we did it lots fo times - if the council has done it once how many other times have they done it - we would facing serious charges due to the amount of money we gained. I would say let the case play out but keep all the paperwork, once you have killed the PCN would be using that paperwork to create a lot of noise with the council (legal dept and council leader and auditor), MP, papers, motorists action group(s), local websites for the area. This really is very naughty of them indeed.

Well I'd not thought about keeping copies. A bit dumb I know. I'm making copies now though.

interesting that when I spoke to the woman at the town hall parking office she was adamant that that she could see the pictures of my car with the PCN Number on their website. I've checked on there myself and using the PCN and my real registration number gives a nice message saying "nothing to pay"

I've got a screen print of that.

However if I use the "wrong reg number" I get to see the photo's of MY car!

I like a bit of a game. just hope it turns out in my favour :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, first post here and was hoping somebody could help! :)

Got a private parking ticket last week from UK CPS Ltd, my reg number is correct on the paper ticket but when I've logged into their website to pay it the reg number is wrong, they've put an E in as a W.

Am I right in thinking that they won't be able to trace me as they've got the wrong details?

Thanks for your help in advance!

I think you'll find they will use the paper ticket details to get to you.

Hi, first post here and was hoping somebody could help! :)

Got a private parking ticket last week from UK CPS Ltd, my reg number is correct on the paper ticket but when I've logged into their website to pay it the reg number is wrong, they've put an E in as a W.

Am I right in thinking that they won't be able to trace me as they've got the wrong details?

Why on earth had you logged into their website to pay it!!!!!

Thank goodness you ran into that clerical error and then had the good sense to come onto CAG. :D

Now that you are here you can take the good advice of the board and deal with this matter in the correct method. That is:

Do not write to them

Do not telephone them

Do not reply to their junk mail

Do not pay them

Hi, first post here and was hoping somebody could help!

It's not a parking ticket, it's an unenforceable invoice from a company running a [problem].

UKCPS are well known. Ignore them completely and all the junkmail they'll send you. They'll go away after 4 or 5 letters.

Phew! Very close to being conned there!

Hi folks,

I got a PCN which has one digit wrong, he's put an O instead of an 0 in the 03. I can quite clearly see what he's done and could probably easily log in to the council website using the wrong number and pay it. Should I? Is the ticket still valid? What can I do? I've already been badly burned by trying to appeal a fine and having to pay admin fees and everything. It's a fairly simple edit anyone could see what's wrong by looking at the face of the ticket. Should I just pay and save hassle?

don't just pay ! check the council website to see if you have read the O and 0 difference properly. even if it has the right VRN there could still be things wrong with the PCN. the wrong VRN means you win, they can't fix it later.

I've tried adding it into the council website with my actual registration number and there's no record, but I haven't tried the wrong one on the ticket in case it brings it up and they can see that I've looked at it and been clever enough to find it!

What's the 'slip rule' that people have talked about on other threads, can they amend the VCN and still charge me if I point out that I can't access the website to pay?

Getting confused between my VRNs and PCNs there. I meant can they just change the reg number and reissue the ticket? Or can I contact them and say tried to pay, it's not registering on your site so I'm not paying? Is it really unenforcable? Like I say, really can't afford £120 if it goes to 14 days+

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks