Oddfellow vs Abbey - 100% ish offer received

Odd Fellow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Again, I've got no useful input. I don't know what to expect from the hearing at all. I just want to wish you good luck. You've been very reasonable about everything so the situation can't be seen as you being difficult - DLA and Abbey on the other hand have not been anything like as reasonable. I hope it goes well and look forward to reading your next post.

Data Protection Act letter sent 11th July 2006

Microfiche argument received 17th July 3006

Response sent 24th July 2006

14 months statements received 26th July 2006

Microfiche data received 28th and 29th July 2006

Prelim letter sent 1st August 2006

Sorry you're not happy letter received 11th August 2006

£175 refund unexpectedly appeared in bank account 16th August 2006

LBA sent 16th August 2006

Claim served 5th October 2006 - Abbey acknowledged 16th October and defence filed.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been out all morning.

Good luck, Odd, I'll be thinking of you.

;) nn

FAQs: click here: http://READ THESE

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

Abbey: SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

BoS M/card SETTLED 27/09:lol:

Aqua CC (Halifax) SETTLED 28/06 :lol:

GMAC Request for refund 14/6; Prelim 31/7; LBA 11/9

First National Mortgage Data Protection Act sent 14/6 Statements 26/7

Cap 1 - SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

Abbey x 2: 50% offer refused AQ filed

First let me say a big "thank you" to everybody who's supported me in this.

It would appear that I have been the first one to go through a DPA hearing. This was an allocation hearing, not a full trial one.

One thing that seems clear to me after today is that Abbey would appear to be determined to defend these claims. The solicitor today appeared to have spent a lot of effort in building a case for supporting Abbey's request that the claim not be heard on the Small Claims track.

Anyway, this is what happened.

I had spent a long time this morning photocopying, collating and summarising paperwork in support of my claim. In the end this was beneficial, especially producing a contents list of the documents onto a cover page as the judge could quickly refer to the relevant letters.

This contents page worked like a timeline and quickly demonstrated that Abbey had failed to respond within the timeframes given. The defense argued that in the end, the case should not have been brought because the claim and the data had effectively "crossed in the post" but the judge could see that had Abbey responded, even to ask for more time, before my final deadline of 29th May had passed, then an extension would have probably been agreeed. Actually, Abbey waited a further week to supply the data without any suggestion that it was going to do so.

It was this in effect that clintched it - I was seen to have given sufficient time to Abbey to respond, it had not and I was justified in bringing the claim as I had no idea that the data was already in the post to me.

It's a small victory though. I was actively encouraged to withdraw my claim for £25 damages and I could sense that if I were not of a mind to do this, the matter could have been drawn out further and just cost more of my time. I could also sense that it was going my way and withdrawing this simply allowed the judge to concentrate on whether or not I was justified in bringing the action and, if so, whether or not the defendants would be liable for the £30 courts costs. He ordered that they were and Abbey now has until the 29th August to cough up the princley sum of £30.00.

Hurrah!

Abbey - Won DPA Claim - Aug 06 and got bailiffs in to recover my court costs of just £30.00

Abbey - Won Charges Refund of £1050 - Nov 06

Egg - Recovered £220 due to Customer Services misinformation - Feb 2007

Nat West - Prelinimary Letter to recover on Credit Card charges £30.00 sent March 2006. £25.40 offered - rejected and the bank reckons that this is it's last word on the matter. We'll see if that's still the case when it reads my N1 form sent recently. It has until the 17th April to respond or the N1 will be submitted.

Please check out my web site www.BankChargesScandal.co.uk for Research, Useful links and my story.

From my experience today, Abbey seems determined to defend these. The solicitor said afterwards that he was sorry not to have had an opportunity to put forward his arguments for pushing this into the fast track.

The judge also commented (after making the order) that it all seemed rather heavy from Abbey's side.

Here's an interesting observation.

When I finally got the data on the 7th July, the letter that accompanied it contained the paragraph, "It is clear from your request that you require transactional information that is helf on the microfiche records. In order to avoid any additional delays, we will therefore use the £10 that you have sent with your Data Protection Act request, as payment for the microfiche records that you need. If you do not want us to do this, please call the above number".

My original SAR was on the 20th March. Why did it take the numskulls that long to make such an obvious suggestion?

More to the point is this. Abbey did not seem interested in taking the £10.00 to supply the last 14 months of data as they could have demanded a further £10.00 for the microfiche data. They didn't. This therefore suggests that you can put in an SAR for the last 14 months or so and additionally give them a tenner to get copies of all the microfiche data.

Going on today's experience, I might suggest that for anyone who has an outstanding DPA claim where the data HAS been supplied subsequently, you should still have a valid claim for the court costs of bringing the action.

I think that the water is a lot murkier if you haven't yet had the data. The ICO's visit to Abbey on 6th September should finally lay this to rest with a determination. Until then, it would seem that paying £10 to get "copy statements" might be the most expedient method of getting your data. This may well be at odds with other advice (remember I am not a legal person, these are my opinions only). Doing it this way places no timescales on it at all, but if Abbey are going to ignore a 40 day limit with this Microfiche argument anyway, it hardly matters IMHO.

Abbey - Won DPA Claim - Aug 06 and got bailiffs in to recover my court costs of just £30.00

Nat West - Prelinimary Letter to recover on Credit Card charges £30.00 sent March 2006. £25.40 offered - rejected and the bank reckons that this is it's last word on the matter. We'll see if that's still the case when it reads my N1 form sent recently. It has until the 17th April to respond or the N1 will be submitted.

Please check out my web site www.BankChargesScandal.co.uk for Research, Useful links and my story.

Congrats OddFellow, well done and excellent judgement on your part.

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

:)

Thank you very much for your assistance today, Ashley.

Well done odd :):):)

DONT FORGET TO DONATE TO THIS SITE WHEN YOU WIN THANKYOU

If you dont it wont be here:x

Let battle commence!!!!!:mad:

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

Very well done Odds, at least for the Abbey it tells them that they ignore us at their peril, its not the financial aspect, but they fact that they will end up in court explaining their tardiness, excellent work :-))

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Well Done Odd!

I really admire your guts and determinationin seeing it through to the end, as said before, its not the money but the principle of the whole case that matters, and in the end YOU were in the right, not shABBEY!!!

I'm also filing my N1 form in the next couple of days, as so many others are. If shABBEY are going to keep this up, they are going to embroil themselves in a good old mess! Lets hope they get the kick up the a*** that they need on the 6th September!

Well Done, again!!!!!!

Phil:D

This is only my personal, honest opinion!

OMG - Oddfellow....im sorry you had to go through that anxiety this morning. But it sounds like you handled that brilliantly.

LIP

ABBEY

DPALetter received by bank on 100406.

£10 Cheque cashed by shABBEY on 200406.

14 statements received between 8-10 0506.

40 day limit reached on 19/5/06.

LBA sent special delivery on 20/5/06

7 days up on the 270506 for the LBA

Prelim approach for repayment for an estimated amt sent. 14 days up on the 200606.

DPAorder for NON-Compliance served 220606. Expires 060706

Final LBA sent, 14 days will be up on the 060706.

Defence from shABBEY received for DPANon compliance 050706

Financial claim deemed served to shABBEY on the 220706

AQ for DPANon Compliance handed in to court on 24706

Defence and 50% offer for Financial claim received 140806

AQ for Financial Claim received 170806

AQ for finacial claim handed in 010906

Hearing 4 amended claim 270906

Fast track Allocation 270906

Disclosure ordered 191006

shabbey failed to disclose 191006

edit....

I'm also filing my N1 form in the next couple of days, as so many others are. If shABBEY are going to keep this up, they are going to embroil themselves in a good old mess! Lets hope they get the kick up the a*** that they need on the 6th September!

Well Done, again!!!!!!

Phil:D

Thanks Phil.

If you're going to file an N1 under Sect 7 DPA, I really would urge you to think very carefully about it just now. I would be of a mind to hold off until the ICO reports back - but that's just my personal opinion.

Very well done Odds, at least for the Abbey it tells them that they ignore us at their peril, its not the financial aspect, but they fact that they will end up in court explaining their tardiness, excellent work :-))

Thanks

I think this needs to be put in perpective though.

I got the costs awarded because (imho) the judge could see that I had done all I could to get the data without going to court. Abbey had been given every opportunity to enter into dialog and didn't.

Had Abbey still not delivered the data, today would have been very different. Today would have been a situation of arguing whether or not the claim could remain on the Small Claims track and I feel that Abbey's defence probably had some really compelling argumuments as to why it should not remain in Small Claims.

So far, without an ICO ruling or any other case history setting precidence, I feel (again INHO) that it would not be in our interests to allow this into fast or multi track. It could open individuals up to high fees should the case be found for Abbey.

Of course, it could be further stalling - Abbey may again be abusing the court system to delay and prevaricate in an attempt to throw us off. We don't know and I for one would not like to be the first to try that side of things.

Well done Odd.

I wonder how much all this cost Abbey? - apart from your £30 that is!

;) nn

FAQs: click here: http://READ THESE

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

Abbey: SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

BoS M/card SETTLED 27/09:lol:

Aqua CC (Halifax) SETTLED 28/06 :lol:

GMAC Request for refund 14/6; Prelim 31/7; LBA 11/9

First National Mortgage Data Protection Act sent 14/6 Statements 26/7

Cap 1 - SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

Abbey x 2: 50% offer refused AQ filed

Well done Odd.

I wonder how much all this cost Abbey? - apart from your £30 that is!

Lucky it wasn't with an extra £25 for my damages. That'll have reallly screwed them :D

Seriously though, I am astonished that Abbey took it this far. Surely the defence could see that it was on a hiding to nothing having already provided the data? I can't see that seasoned, experienced lawyers could have really expected this to go any further with the claim being for costs and damages only.

I can certainly see that my letters to DLA pointing out it's mistakes and being generally brash would have got it's back up and if this is the case, it must be seething now - perhaps I should start wearing body armour for my refund claim :D

The judge seemed bemused by it too commenting that it was somewhat heavy on the part of the defendant.

Lucky it wasn't with an extra £25 for my damages. That'll have reallly screwed them

Dont worry Im sure they are charging one of us right now to cover this lol Bloody SHAbbey

DONT FORGET TO DONATE TO THIS SITE WHEN YOU WIN THANKYOU

If you dont it wont be here:x

Let battle commence!!!!!:mad:

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

Guest Zooman

It does go to show though if the banks think they have any chance at winning a court case they always defend regardless of cost.

Guest Zooman

as a footnote I think you will not find these cases as easy as the charges and as odd said it may be an idea to pay £10 for the statements.

Odds, I am really sorry, I pm'd a few mods the other day and they have been spectacular in their absence apart from Vamp who bothered but wasnt able to help, this is not what the site was supposed to be about and I am sorry

Odds ... so very sorry not to be around today. Unfortuantely I had a virus on my pc and I've been struggling since lunchtime to sort it out!

Its good to know that you were successful! Well done!

mechs

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Odds ... so very sorry not to be around today. Unfortuantely I had a virus on my pc and I've been struggling since lunchtime to sort it out!

Its good to know that you were successful! Well done!

mechs

Excuses, excuses ;)

Thanks.

I am pleased that it was found in my favour but it seems a little hollow as I have wasted a huge amount of time on this for which I will see no return. On a wider scale, it is an indication of what Shabbey is prepared to do in order to fight a claim where it has more than a passing belief that it stands a chance.

I think that we should all be learning a lesson from this. I was lucky as I got the information and the nature of the claim changed. Others might not be so fortunate.

well done, I was wondering yesterday how you were getting on.

Abbey - Claim 1

full hearing 22 Feb 07 - Settled in full £710 :D

Abbey (Claim 2)

full hearing 22 Feb 07- Settled in full £4000 :D

Abbey (Claim 3)

Court date 27 June -

Capital One (claim 1)

£467 Settled in full 20 Sep :D

Capital One (claim 2)

£72 refunded 19 Aug :-D

Associates (Citicards)

claim 8 Aug/judgment by default 30 Aug/set aside hearing 9 Oct/Stay denied, ordered by Judge to reveal breakdown of charges andfull hearing 24 May/FULL DISCLOSURE ORDERED BY 8 MARCH/JUDGE TO STRIKE OUT DEFENCE AS NON-COMPLIANCE/DEFENCE STRUCK OUT PAYMENT IN FULL REQUIRED IN 14 DAYS