covers22 v Nationwide - SETTLED IN FULL

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6228 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Today I posted the preliminary request for payment to the Nationwide BS for £1135.73 which they have charged me over the last 18 months!

This is my first post and indeed my first request for a refund. Reading the FAQ's and other users posts have inspired me reclaim 'MY' money!

I am taking the view that i have been depositing all the charges I have incurred into a savings account and now it's time to withdraw this cash and hey, if it goes to court I get the full term bonus of 8% interest!

I'll let you know what happens

Regards

Dean

Welcome aboard.

We will keep our eyes open for updates

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I am taking the view that i have been depositing all the charges I have incurred into a savings account and now it's time to withdraw this cash and hey, if it goes to court I get the full term bonus of 8% interest!

I'll let you know what happens

Regards

Dean

Tremendous attitude, :D

best of luck with the claim and don't forget to keep us posted

Brian

Claim against Nationwide

6 years charges £1973

prelim letter 10 April

Charges refunded 15 April

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE....

I have received the standard response this morning from Sarah Watson.

"Thank you for your letter of .... , about charges incurred on your FlexAccount.

Feedback from our members is absolutely invaluable, so we appreciate the time you've taken to get in touch with us about this issues, and we're grateful for the opportunity to explain the rationale behind our charging policy.

As you know if we allow items to be paid and it means you exceed your agreed overdraft or we have to return an item unpaid on your account then we will make a charge in accordance with the terms and conditions. Details of our tariffs are contained without our "FlexAccount Interest Rates and Charges" leaflet, freely available in branches and provided when opening an account and agreed to by yourself when you sign in acceptance of these terms when signing the application forms.

Nationwide belives it is open and transparent about charges and members are pre-notified prior to charges being debited via their monthly statements. If, at any time, we make changes to the tariff, account holders are always informed.

I hope that this has helped to clarify our position and you will appreciate why I am unable to refund any charges on your account. If you would like any further help, please contact me directly at the address at the top o the page or by telephoning me on 01793 xxxxxx.

I must make you aware The Nationwide Group uses the Financial Services Authority rules when dealing with customers' complaints. I've enclosed a leaflet that explains our Internal Complaints Procedure should you not be happy with my reply."

The LBA will be posted first thing Tuesday... I'll keep you posted!

Well done.

I think it's about time we produced our own leaflet...

"What to do if you are not happy with my court action" :D

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Me again..

after reading a few more posts i thought it would be wise to cc Charles Bacon and also send him an email copy.

the email i send is below.

'Dear Mr Bacon,

Attached is a copy of a letter I have sent to Sarah Watson in response to her ‘Standard Reply’ letter following my request for a refund of fees.

I have also posted you a copy of this letter but thought you may like to be informed of my intent to begin legal proceedings to recover these fees should they be necessary.

I look forward to your response.

Yours Sincerely....'

I have a question....

what is the general view on sending these letters 'recorded' the reason I ask is....

1. it will sometimes delay progess for a day or two should I not be able to get to the P.O.

2. the banks hardly ever send out such letters (even default notices) recorded but still charge you!

3. working in a large corp. myself, i know that the post room signing for a letter doesn't mean the person it is addressed to has received it!.

regards

Dean

The ONLY reason for sending recorded is your own peace of mind. Sending standard 1st class is deemed, to the best of my knowledge, to have been delivered in 2 working days.

Personally, I never use recorded anyway - these are grouped in the standard mail bags and are often not updated online anyway, meaning that people often believe they HAVEN'T been delivered.... If you need verification of a signature, you also pay extra.

If I ever want peace of mind, I use Special Delivery. "Guaranteed" next day, always signed for and trackable, and signature verification is free.

Sorry, i should have explained more clearly.

The point i was trying to make is.....

Do we really need proof of delivery?

The banks don't generally send out their threatening letters, default notices etc. using recorded or special d. yet they still continue with their schedule of legal proceedings etc. if they don't hear from the customer. Therefore should it make any difference to the schedule we use if the odd letter gets lost in the post or not?

regards

Dean

....The point i was trying to make is.....

Do we really need proof of delivery?

No. As I stated above, it really is ONLY for peace of mind of the sender. We don't need proof it has arrived.

• 4 weeks later...
I've had no response from Nationwide after 14 days, so the moneyclaim has been issued on 15th June. They now have 'til 29th June.

i'll keep you posted!

You'll probably find they have until the 4th July, like mine. I filed on the same day as you and they said, in the acknowledgement, it was deemedserved on the 20th with 4th July being when they have to reply by.

I will keep an eye on this as we are both exactly the same :)

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

I've looked through other's posts and cant find a definate answer to this question.

as you can see from the above i have filed a moneyclaim against nationwide which i have paid £120 for. Am i right in thinking that if they settle before their deadline (is this 28 days from when they sent in the acknowledment of service intending to defend?) i will not receive the court costs & interest, or does the fact that i have now filed the moneyclaim entitle me to the court costs & interest, or am i not entitled to recover the court costs at all??

hope that makes sense!

c22

If they settle after your lodge your claim at court and before the 28 days the court allow them to respond are up they should cough up the whole lot - interest, charges + fees.

Banks are missing a trick here : if they settled cases at, say, the LBA stage (or better still the prelim stage) they would actually only have to pay out the actual charges, not the court costs/interest.

I think they do it this way in the feeble hope that the court fee will put people off - it won't and shouldn't...

We'll it seems that nationwide have credited my account with £184.58 which just happens to be the exact total of the court costs + the interest.

Intriguing!!!!

Very much so...maybe the next lot will hit your account in the next couple of days?

Ii can't even check my account as the buggers have withdrawn all access to me...even checking it in the branch. :mad:

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

Tried to check my balance online this morning and it doesnt look like i have an account with Nationwide anymore!!

i can log into internet banking but my account list is now empty!

nothing in the post, hopefully there will be something on monday!

c22

Can you not ring the phone bank to ask about your recent transactions and see if any more has gone in? It could just be a glitch on the system and that is why you can't see anything.

Well now!!!

I phoned nationwide and indeed the money has been credited to my account!!! Hooray!!!

But... went to the cashpoint to get a printed balance / mini statement and it kept my card!!!!

Looks like the chaps at Nationwide dont love me no more..... ahhhh!

c22

Well now!!!

I phoned nationwide and indeed the money has been credited to my account!!! Hooray!!!

But... went to the cashpoint to get a printed balance / mini statement and it kept my card!!!!

Looks like the chaps at Nationwide dont love me no more..... ahhhh!

c22

Mine was taken a couple of weeks ago too! I haven't heard anything so am going to ring phonebank to see if anything has gone in as I know a lot of others have got refunds straight back. Last time I phoned though they wouldn't tell me anything!!!

Have you had anything in writing saying they are going to credit your account???

BIG CONGRATULATIONS AS WELL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS

This is great news, well done.

Would you please fill out our survey - Bank Charges Refund Survey

(and don't forget we can only survive if we get donations!! cough cough)

I will complete the survey and i will INDEED be donating as i wouldn't have got this money refunded if it were not for this forum.

BUT... i don't wanna jump the gun, it's all looking like they have settled in full, but i have no access to the money yet. I'm hoping to receive a cheque next week.

As soon as i have access to it I will consider the case to be settled!!

Thanks everyone for ALL your help and encouragement (both direct & indirect)

Regards

C22

BUT... i don't wanna jump the gun, it's all looking like they have settled in full, but i have no access to the money yet. I'm hoping to receive a cheque next week.

I have been told I have to go into the branch where they will give me the cash and close the account. Could you not do that?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6228 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks