Problem with PC Monitor

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 466 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

4 hours ago, snowdragon said:

but need to know how to transfer everything of old comp onto new? I have loads stuff 😕 xx

Sandy xx

Are these photos and suchlike?

- not difficult to copy those to a memory stick

Logons etc can be a bit more awkward, but we can help you with those too

As dx says - the controls are select and adjust via the buttons

fiddly if you not used to it - but just have a play - the worst that can happen is you will need to select the reset option - which is likely a good idea anyway

Why trust doctors and science, when you can trust the internets:

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

“The fossil fuel industry is feasting on subsidies and windfall profits

while household budgets shrink and our planet burns"

UN secretary general Antonio Guterres

loads of  photo's/pictures, bank account, facebook, messagner, homeswapper, installed memory :4.00GB (3.89 gb available)

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Hi @snowdragon

Most of that isnt any problem, a small memory stick will hold all of that. In fact a cheap 8 or 16gb USB memory stick from amazon will hold it all and a windows backup and space to spare

I can suggest a couple of cheap USB stick options from amazon if you wish

Facebook has an option to download all your content

Dont know about your banking stuff, need more info to answer that which should NOT be announced on a forum

For starters have a quick read through this. Dont worry if its a bit confusing. (DX may offer some others to peruse)

SUPPORT.MICROSOFT.COM

Describes how to manually back up or transfer your personal files and settings on Windows-based computers as a precautionary measure.

I'll look current utility program options which are 'point and click' to backup and include transferring data to a new windows version but there may be a small fee to buy those. (Only if they do more than the free options)

Do you know what onedrive is?

TJ

Edited by tobyjugg2

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

ty TJ, will have a proper look when feel more with it, just so tired, and mehh right now, everything hurts lol x

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

No worries @sd - when you feel up to it

perhaps consider the onedrive option - it has 5GB free - more than enough although there have been some issues reported with getting some sorts of data back from it. (possible as applications saved it in a strange way)

The onedrive backup process does have options to backup to USB if I remember rightly. Will refresh my knowledge if you consider that a possible option for you.

See here:

WWW.MICROSOFT.COM

Learn how to transfer files from PC to PC or Mac to PC. Microsoft Windows provides file transferring software and services for a smooth transition.

Edited by tobyjugg2

not heard of the one drive tbh TJ, I do more or less everything online/email and no home phone and just a bog standard basic mobile lol

Its a free (for 5GB, costs for more) online storage you can use for all your devices, and windows has built in (or easily added) features to back some stuff up to it.

TJ, I tried to get the onedrive but as I do not have windows 10 or 11 it would not let me d/l it 😕

new comp  has not arrived yet but think it is windows 11

Hi Sd

It seems onedrive is already built in to windows 8 and 8.1 so installs 'just don't without warning - lol - sounds about right for MicroSoft

EDU.GCFGLOBAL.ORG

If you're using Windows 8 OneDrive is closely integrated with it. Learn how to get the most out of these two programs here.

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Thanks 1

I finally found onedrive but it will not let me do anything, keeps saying need  the app! lol, looks like have get a memory card/stick and stick everything on for new comp, have no idea how big to get one, have alot stuff on here :/, I just want start feeling well again

Sandy

I've had a few of these and they are reasonably priced and reliable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXHKR4T

Just make sure your computer drive is 4GB not 4TB

If its 4TB we will need to do a couple of other checks (the size of the users directory)

comp is 4GB,, 500GB hard drive, DDR3 MEMORY

Ah - hold off on the 32gb mem stick then till we check a little more on how much space you need. You may need a usb hard drive rather than memory stick (speed/capacity/cost)

In any case, It is likely we can just slot your old Hard drive in new unit as a slave as you have ordered one id necessary.

Give me a day or so and I'll find time to check out some data transfer (win-win) and data backup utils - just running those should give us an indication of how much user data there is - although some applications can save data in none standard places

A good indication should be the size of your [hard drive letter]\users directory

.. but that can get a bit confusing and miss stuff specifically saved elsewhere and unless you are in an administrator account and {blah blah more tech gobledegook} + can miss stuff

we'll get you there

:-)

• Thanks 1

RAM: 4.00 GB ( 3.89 GB USABLE)

Processor: intel core (TM) i3-3220 CPU@3.30GHZ 3.30 GHZ

64 BIT OPERATING SYSTEM

I'd like to try a slightly different tack if thats Ok with you @snowdragon

We'll help you every step of the way, and as well as building your knowledge and confidence, it should give us and you some scope of what and how much we need to transfer - and has no real risk, and all at your own pace.

* I'd like you to first check how much free space you have on your hard drive (just right click on your C drive and select properties)

* Then create a new folder called backup in the c drive

* Then I'd like you to go through all your stuff pics whatever you can find and copy them into the backup folder (COPY not MOVE)

Once we've done that, you can look through it and see if you think or know anything you want is missing, and we'll look at backing up your browser logins and links.

Just say if you need help with any steps and I'm sure we can find a pictorial guide to show you through each step of the way.

You will gain confidence and knowledge as we help you work through it.

oh - and I'm reasonable confident its your monitor screen thats gone faulty, so we will likely be able to just plug your new monitor in if necessary while we sort it all

Edited by tobyjugg2

right, tried to find drive c,  all got was pics 12.6 GB, VIDEOS 498 MB, DOCS, 615 MB, D/L'S 54.9GB, 101.GB AVAILABLE FROM 222 GB, did tell you I am no  comp tech! 😕 

Btw new comp is an all in one so should not need a new monitor, am supposed be getting fibre tomorrow

No worries SD - I'm not that hot on windows after 7, and neither are so-called MS experts on the ms forums

All sorts of people asked questions about transferring - and the commoin answer is onedrive, which seems to have allsorts of issues.

Question @snowdragon

You said the hard drive was 500GB - but your C drive is only half that (222GB)

Do you have another drive letter other than a cd/dvd drive? and whats on it?

Edited by tobyjugg2

ok, C DRIVE : 101 GB FREE OF 222 GB

DATA:(D) 223  GB FREE FROM 223 GB

Opened properties of c drive

capacity: 238.538.452. 992 bytes

used space : 129.231.132.720 bytes 120 GB

FREESPACE : 109. 397,318, 272 BYTES

PHEW, hope  wrote it all down right 

Thats brill @SD :-)

Means the other half of the HD (its partitioned into 2) the D drive is empty

So have a go at copying your pics videos downloads etc  to the d drive - just try to make sure you copy rather than move and theres no risk, and little risk even if you move.

oh - then have a browse through what you;ve copied to d and see if you think theres anything missing.

Edited by tobyjugg2

will try but they will still be  on  computer using now? need them on new one, it was supposed come other day but  they said no one was here to accept it! now coming tomorrow,

I  just want to get better atm, really knocked me for six, the fall and Covid :/, so am slower then normal! lol

not let me copy?

unless am doing something wrong

not letting you copy?

Describe what you are trying and what it says in more detail please

I got the pic s from my list, clicked on copy but nothing appeared, did not say anything, like copy to where,, I have  showing  drive c, drive d etc, on the left is all the stuff on comp, says pic etc, I can not copy the page to show you as not let me 😕 sorry

I'm not entirely sure what you are doing as i dont have a windows 8 install to try it on

- and you may be experiencing one of the many windows 8 bugs.

ensure you select the folder (or files) you want to copy and RIGHT click of mouse (or CTRL C when highlighted) to select 'copy

then right click and paste in d (or CTRL V)

We are copying all your stuff to d to prepare it for copy elsewhere and see how big

eg The downloads you mention may be your stuff, or windows update downloads which you aren't interested in, or a mix

If it continues to be a problem, we'll just install the very useful freeware 7-zip and use its file manager

Edited by tobyjugg2