Misinformed by Water company

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 547 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had senior technicians out from my local water board to guide me on where to lay the trench pipes for a new water connection. I spent £800 getting it done from one of their recommended plumbers. The waterboard came to install it and could not get the pipes from the road to the front door so called their senior most guy who was livid why we had done it this way. He would not accept the fact that it was his guys that had guided us to get it done this way. He told us to do it another way which is a completely different job so will end up costing me £1,200 more.

The two technicians that came out from the water board have now told their senior manager that they never guided me to do it the way we have. They are refusing to compensate me the £800 installation charges for the wrong advice from their team. 

Nothing was written and it was all verbal however this was a city centre location and the location we discussed the installation is covered by cctv from the shop next door and they have sound on the video. 

Is there anything I can do? If I get the video from the shop can I use that in court? 

Normally I wouldn't mind but I am getting blamed for doing the job wrong when I was guided by their team and due to their misinformation I can't rent out the property for another 3 months now. It was meant to be rented 1st November (tenancy signed) and I will end up loosing £2,500 a month.

Edited by axil23

7 hours ago, axil23 said:

Is there anything I can do? If I get the video from the shop can I use that in court? 

yes admissible evidence in a claim if you can get it.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

The CCTV from next door Shop you need to very careful for the following reasons:

1. As the Shop is not only capturing CCTV but also Audio Recordings they will need to be registered with the Information Commissioner Office (ICO) for both the CCTV and Audio Recording so you need to ensure to ask if they are registered for both and the ICO is aware.

2. Does that Shop have a Sign outside the shop saying they have CCTV as it should as this is not a Domestic Property where the Rules are different? (even in the Shops window)

3. Even if they are Registered Capturing images is one thing but Capturing Audio is a different matter which can be classed as an invasion of Privacy. as they are capturing all audio within that cameras area of everyone walking past that Shop.

The Audio Recording from that Shop would only be admissible if that Shop is Registered with the ICO and the ICO if fully aware that there CCTV is not only capturing CCTV images but importantly is also capturing all Audio.

If as an example that Shop has only informed the ICO when registering they have CCTV and nothing else (not informed them it records all Audio) that Shop has opened itself up to an invasion of privacy of anyone walking within that shops area covered by that CCTV that is also recording all Audio at the same time as this is an Invasion of Privacy and the Shop should have informed the ICO they are recording all Audio within that CCTV area.

This is me airing caution on this due to the Audio as you need to be very careful in its use from that Shop in any Claim.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The shop next door is a jewellery shop with multiple stores across the country. So I am sure they would have followed any Cctv guidelines. 

1. since I am in the video can I ask them to release it if they don’t cooperate?

2. Would it be a valid compensation claim in small claims court? 

Just thinking if I should put it down to experience and let it go or take them to court for the costs. I am actually quite angry about their lies. 

Get the video first and see what it captures.  Ask about what registration they have for CCTV.

It might be worth approaching water board senior manager once you have the video and say that you have evidence proving what was said, can go to Court but would rather try to come to an amicable settlement to save time/costs for both sides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The shop has nothing to gain from this so will probably not cooperate. Are there any Laws that they have to follow if I request this? Not sure if a colleague has this correct but he was saying that if you are in a Cctv recording you have the right to request it? 

I believe you are correct abut commercial cctv, it has to be produced if you request it, unlike domestic cctv, however, if you try the strong arm approach the shop will probably go down the route of 'data is not stored longer than 48 hours' and you'll get nothing. so try asking nicely first.

• Thanks 1

No if you don't have any existing tenants.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I had signed up tenancies with an agency who had rented them out to potential students. Now the students are without a place to stay and asking us for compensation as we had tenancy signed. 

Oh well that's different  then yes .....no mention of that in your topic so far.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

So to get the cctv I need to find out what day they were over. It was way back around the 10th of August and now I cant remember the exact date. Is there anyway to ask the water company for the date they sent someone and if they don't entertain me can I request it via the freedom to information act?