Hidden camera found in hotel room - opps - was a digital clock with an infrared sensor to tell it if its day or night.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I never yhought thisnwould happen to me one day, in the UK....

But I am staying In a countryside hotel for a wedding and have found a hidden camera pointing to the bed.

There were the same camera in rooms used by friends and family. Except in the single room which did not have one.

I took picture and videos. I have removed 3 cameras and put them in my bag.

I intend to go to the cops tomorrow, with the cameras I nicked.

(I am staying here one more night - I did not want to but my elderly family members dont want to leave so Im ataying with them).

I also think that my dear aunt - who paid for our rooms - should get her money back.

Obviously this is all very sinister and criminal.... I'm still shellshocked. 

What do you recommend I do?

P.s. I will name the hotel as soon as I check out amd am miles away from it.

“Nicked” might imply theft.

I doubt you have stolen them, especially if it is to take them to the police, as:

a) there is no dishonest intent

b) there is no intent to permanently deprive.

Why didn’t you call the police though if you felt a crime had been committed? (You might now have reduced the value of the cameras as evidence / their ability to identify the offender).

• Thanks 1

Get hold of the local press and tell them the story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Police should have been called straightaway, so they could find evidence, such as hard drive storage devices. Now that cameras have been removed, whoever is responsible may notice this and start destroying evidence. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Im still there so hoping they wont have caught on yet. Will call cops tomorrow AM first thing when I'm still in.

Really wanted to leave immediately but my silly and loveable aunt had a "let them film me naked if they want" attitude and didn't seem that bothered!

I took 3 as evidence and left the rest in place.

My door bolt is hard shut.

Local press is great shout.

Ok well both dramatic and anticlimatic ending. After sending my pics to police they agreed those looked like cameras and sent 2 detectives and 2 uniforms to meet me at the hotel, much to the owners chagrin. The detectives examined my device and concluded it was an infrared sensor and not a camera. I accompanied them as they explained what had happened to the owner, and I gave the owner back their clocks as well as a serious apology.

The cops were pretty chill about the whole thing and told me I was right to have questioned it, though obviously I had to feel a bit embarassed.

I dont know if this was a cautionary tale about anything.

Do check your room for devices?

Don't jump to conclusions?

Dont install velcroed infrared clocks in hotel rooms?

The end!

• Haha 1

doh!

so fire detectors oh well.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

Was the owner happy with your explanation?

Bear in mind if this was for Fire Protection that the Owner will now have to get the Fire System Retested at the Owners Costs and I am not saying they will by you need to be aware that due to this they may ask you for those costs. (just  my air of caution)

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• dx100uk changed the title to Hidden camera found in hotel room - opps was a fire detection IR camera!

Nah it was a digital clock with an infrared sensor to tell it if its day or night.

...as opposed to a digital clock with hidden camera in it, which I had thought it to be.

The facts that those were taped to the TVs, sensors barely visible, facing the beds, not present in single rooms, lead me to jump to conclusons.

• dx100uk changed the title to Hidden camera found in hotel room - opps - was a digital clock with an infrared sensor to tell it if its day or night.

Hi

Maybe it might be worth just given a bit of feedback to the owner suggesting that there is something in the Welcome Pack in the rooms about these and maybe when individuals book in at reception this is also advised by reception what these are to prevent someone thinking it may be hidden cameras.

• Like 2

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group