Can anyone explain this (HMRC)

Loughton wannabe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I started a new job regretfully with a company it turns out who didn't have the FCA license for their business.  I fortunately left just before the Financial Conduct Authority got involved, taking over website domain and email address from what I could make of it.

I was owed a week's wages but I wrote it off, however requesting my P45 via HMRC has confused me.

At a set date I requested this being told 7 days and if we need to contact you, then it turned into 3 weeks waiting time.

The only decent thing the company did was enroll me into Nest immediately on payroll and I have to be honest when the wages failed to show, I was slightly relieved to receive Nest message you are no longer contributing to your pension, which if I went of experience elsewhere this means they (ex employer) were also raising a P45 but it hasn't shown under their steam and I appreciate I'm bottom of the pile.

I don't what to make of it today, I've kept an eye on my personal tax record online, and it now shows a leaving date for 5th April 2023! (is it just because that is the current tax year we're in) they can't really keep me on their payroll indefinitely?  - I just want to check if I need to take this further? 

Sorry, don't have the full explanations for you, but just a couple of thoughts.

If the FCA closed them down for acting without a licence have they gone into liquidation? Have you checked Companies House [https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/ ] and London Gazette] [ Corporate Insolvency | The Gazette] for insolvency information? If insolvent the Liquidators would be responsible for issuing the P45 and that could take a while if records are in a mess.

You may know this already, but you don't need a P45 if you start a new job. If your old employer failed to give you a P45 the new employer gets you to complete a Starter Checklist instead. But it will then take longer for them to get your Tax Code right.

Otherwsie all I can suggest is to call HMRC and try and find out what's going on. But be prepared for a long wait on the phone....

• Thanks 1

Thank you for replying Ethel Street. After half hour HMRC have picked up and said the date is safe guarding the tax code whilst they write to the (ex) employer and it takes as long as it takes... that I should get Acas involved but I really don't want to go towards a tribunal, it would be a waste of time surely if a company closure is on the cards.

It's definitely odd, the company/ex employer are still active on companies house for the mo and well aware there is another newly opened company (did think pheonix'ing of a company was on it's way although surely they would just go though the same bother with FCA but that's well over my head!) 

Totally get about New Starter form, thank you, just new employer wanted the P45 in part toward referencing, proving end date but I'll just explain what is going on.  

Thank you again.

• Thanks 1