Sold item on eBay, it arrived with very slight damage to the box. Am I obliged to give a full refund?

Cardiff Devil
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this issue but I couldn't see a subforum for anything specifically relating to eBay sales.

I sold a retro games console earlier this month on eBay.  The item was shipped out via courier following payment.

Since then, the buyer has gotten in touch to say that the item box was slightly damaged in transit.  He's provided a photo which appears to show a slight crumple and tear on one corner.  No mention of the condition of the item itself, but the buyer is requesting a full refund on the basis that it's a collectable item that's now not worth as much due to the fact that the condition of the box is now less than pristine.  My options via eBay are now;

• Send a shipping label and get the item returned to me, then I have to give a full refund.
  • Refund the buyer in full and they get to keep the item.  Obviously I'm not going to do this.
  • I get one chance to offer a partial refund, the buyer then keeps the item.

I'm tempted to go with option 3 and offer him £20 or something to get lost.  At the end of the day I wasn't selling this item as a collectable, and I'm not sure whether I'm obliged to give a full refund just  for a very slightly damaged box, especially if the console itself is undamaged. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

CD

its an online sale so if UK<>UK then you are obliged under CRA to fully refund for no reason at all within 14days

if the item is faulty or not as described, not fit for purpose, then its upto 30days.

i would try your no.3. to try and save money if you wish.

however you have a VERY good chance of suing the courier for damage caused.

do you have photos of the item showing the undamaged area before you sent it?

dx

• I agree 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks DX

The only photos I have are from the original auction, and as I said the damage to the box is VERY minor.

I've offered him a partial refund.  Worst case scenario I'll just get the item back and have to re-list it.  Hopefully I won't get such a fussy buyer the second time around.

Thanks

CD

Edited by dx100uk
swearing removed