Virgin Media data breach

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1530 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a Virgin Media customer and have had an email advising that I may be one of 900,000 customers who have had some of their data accidentally published online.   

VM have just said that it was email addresses and phone numbers that were published and to be careful when receiving emails etc.

The question is whether VM have any legal obligation to compensate any customers ?

If the ICO fine VM, this just goes to the Government and is not passed on to the customers affected. 

I am tempted to contact VM, asking for details of the compensation they are offering for this breach and that if they are not offering any, that I may look to cancel my account. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Unfortunately damage claims are based on losses incurred. Although there are new general awards for data breach under GDPR

I think an action would have to be brought from the ICO.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

From Virgin Media Website: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/data-incident/important-information

note from the above link they say it wasn't a cyber attack nor a hack.

so the question is how did they obtain this data from Virgin Media.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Virgin Media apparently left a marketing file available to be viewed online. This is why it was just email and telephone numbers.  And the file was accessed once by an unknown user.  Hence the advice to be careful with emails and attachments.

Virgin Media use an Indian call centre to phone their customers asking whether they are interesting in upgrading.  It is interesting to note that reports were being made that VM customers were receiving suspicious phone calls and I wonder whether this led to this file being found.  

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

9 hours ago, Dodgeball said:

Unfortunately damage claims are based on losses incurred. Although there are new general awards for data breach under GDPR

I think an action would have to be brought from the ICO.

Sorry but this is mainly wrong. Since the Google case, damages for data protection breaches are available for distress without proof of damage or actual loss. You would bring a civil action. There is no need to bring an action to the ICO. However I can imagine that damages will be extremely modest but you might like to treat yourself to a small claim for about 50 quid and I expect that VM would roll over

Hey BF, dont go using the ."W" word at me :)

There were a number of cases regarding general damages, I seem to remember.

The case was widely criticised and given right to appeal. Also there was no automatic right to claim damages.

I also think it would be difficult for an individual to take on the action, although I concede such a thing may be technically possible.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS