Council has not reviewed my HB appeal: what to do?

charles1975
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2586 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Last February i applied for Housing Benefit. I was already in receipt of JSA, so I thought the case was straightforward. The Council came back in late February disallowing my claim.

I thought I had a rock solid case, so I sent a letter of appeal straight away.

I phoned the Council and they acknowledged that the letter was received 1st of March but they say the appeal has not been reviewed yet.

I asked them how long it should take and they reply that there's no timescale. Apparently they can take the time they want.

I asked for a manager to call me back and they said they don't have an obligation to do so. In other words they're playing hard ball.

I wonder what I can do now. I can't appeal because my appeal hasn't been assessed yet.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Why have they declined your claim & what grounds are you appealing on?

There are details that I can't reveal here but suffice it to say the Council assumed too much based on too little information to throw my application in the bin.

Also have a wee read of these links:

Thanks but I can't see anything there that can help me.

At this stage I cannot take the Council to tribunal because the appeal is still being reviewed.

In the meantime I got a call from the Council. They insisted they are under no obligation to give me an estimated time for the decision. So in theory they can drag it forever. I think they made a massive mistake and they would have to pay me back to January.

They only said they can give me an emergency loan if I run out of money.

I told them if I don't receive a repky within 4 weeks, I'll write a formal complaint. Alternatively I'll write to the ombudsman.

Are you appealing as they made the decision based on incorrect information or are you saying it is wrong in law?

The ombudsman can't be approached until you have exhausted the councils complaints procedure. I would complain at this stage if they won't give you a rough timescale. It's poor customer service not to do so

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.