None return of pet

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2608 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Bit of a strange one but here goes.

I took a rabbit in off someone who lives close to me as they didn't want her.

I support a rescue centre and the original idea was to find her a new home.

3 to 4 weeks has past and I got a message that someone wanted to look at her.

two days ago I took her down and left her overnight with them.

After doing alot of thinking I told the rescue centre that I changed my mind and was going to keep her.

This was done on the phone and Facebook message.

After a short while I was told that the lady was on her way and that she was going to be viewed, even though I told them that I was going to pick her up and she was coming home.

They have refused to give her back and are saying they have taken a deposit on her, even though I have told them no.

They want to bond her with another rabbit so it's another one out the way.

The situation is now that they are refusing to give her back despite me saying no,

i have even offeted to pay any costs that they may have incurred.

I did inform them before this lady turned upto view, I still hold all her tracker stuff and vet registration.

I have not given them any of it.

Can someone please tell me what my options are and how I can get her back Please.

IT'S TIME FOR US LITTLE PEOPLE TO FIGHT BACK:)

Hi gazhodge_1981

Please be patient as this is not my area, I am sure other Caggers will be along to assist you.

Who is the Rescue Centre and where?

Did you sign anything to do with the Rescue Centre or was it verbal?

Does the Rescue Centre have any Terms & Conditions?

we really need more information

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

they have confirmed on messenger that I informed them before the viewing.

They have tried to say I surrendered her but only agreed to have her viewed.

They have never mentioned surrendered till after the event yesterday.

I still hold all her paperwork as I thought it would be my say if she went after the viewing.

I'm afraid that I don't think that there is much you can do.

You placed the rabbit into the hands of the rescue centre and from that point on it was for them to make their own responsible decisions in what they considered was the best interests of the rabbit – but also in their own best interests which is to rehome animals as quickly as possible in order to relieve their own financial burden and to make way for other animals which presumably are coming into the Centre.

From what you say it seems to me that they had already started to engage with a another prospective owner and they decided to continue with that engagement until they made their final decision in respect of her.

Presumably if they thought that she was an unsuitable owner, then the rabbit once again become available to you.

In terms of the documentation et cetera which you hold in relation to the animal, I think the best thing to do would be to hand it over to the rescue centre because clearly it should accompany the animal. I think that this is the best way for you to continue your support of the Centre and also the animals which you clearly feel strongly about. This will allow you to keep good relations with the Centre and no doubt if you want another animal, one will eventually become available to which you find that you bond with yourself.

At the end of the day, these organisations are charities and I suppose that they do the best they can.

Imagine if you had been the other person and had been offered the animal and then gone on to make arrangements and to travel to see it, only at the last moment to be told that it was being given to you. I'm sure that you would be equally disappointed.

I think that the Rescue Centre was in a difficult position and at the end of the day they decided simply to carry out their job as best as possible.

Thank you for getting back to me,

I would have like more positive news but by what you have said I don't have any options.

My support for the centre is over after some of the comments made, who would know adults would change so much.

Thank you again Bank fodder,

Sounds like a pedigree rabbit. Still capable of using for breeding ? When the new owners try to re-register the ID chip , presumably they might have a problem, as your friends details will come up. They might be contacted about having given the rabbit away ?

Not much you can do, as the rabbit was donated on behalf of your friend and the rescue centre did what was standard to them. If they then had to deal with people changing their minds, they would get into an argument. Perhaps if you wrote a letter explaining your position, the rescue centre could pass it to the new owner, to see if they are willing to let you have the rabbit.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Sounds like a pedigree rabbit. Still capable of using for breeding ? When the new owners try to re-register the ID chip , presumably they might have a problem, as your friends details will come up. They might be contacted about having given the rabbit away ?

Not much you can do, as the rabbit was donated on behalf of your friend and the rescue centre did what was standard to them. If they then had to deal with people changing their minds, they would get into an argument. Perhaps if you wrote a letter explaining your position, the rescue centre could pass it to the new owner, to see if they are willing to let you have the rabbit.

Hi,

She can't breed. The bunny was taken for a viewing and never given to the centre. The bunny is currently still with the rescue at someone house (foster) but I think it's early next week that she would go. They are trying to bond her with another at the moment, which I never agreed to.

I suppose it's like putting an item in auction and then pulling it before it goes up.

Options seem slim at the moment 😟

What sort of rescue centre is this? Anyone can say they're running a rescue and the term covers everything from the lone nutter who collects animals up to large organisations like the RSPCA. The reputable ones would never just take an animal without the owner signing it over - so this sort of thing can't happen.

What sort of rescue centre is this? Anyone can say they're running a rescue and the term covers everything from the lone nutter who collects animals up to large organisations like the RSPCA. The reputable ones would never just take an animal without the owner signing it over - so this sort of thing can't happen.

Basically it is two women who run it from there homes and have 3 or 4 fosters who help keep bunnies at there homes. They very recently registered as a charity so I was told.

Nothing was signed, basically they said after they normally do get people to sign a form to surrender there rabbits but didn't with us. I would think because we have been supporting them financially a fair bit over the last 6 months.

It all sounds very weird, especially as you've been quite involved with them for a while. It's a very odd way for them to act with a supporter - presumably an ex supporter now. Other than this have you had some sort of falling out with them at all?

It all sounds very weird, especially as you've been quite involved with them for a while. It's a very odd way for them to act with a supporter - presumably an ex supporter now. Other than this have you had some sort of falling out with them at all?

No nothing at all. All we have done is support them financially, transport some rabbits to them,

I can see anyway I could continue to support them after this.

Hi all, today I've spoken to citizen advice and they said they would class the rabbit as an item of property. They told me that I should file at my local county court. They gave me a number to a local solicitor and after speaking to him, confirmed what they said. As everything is in writing and at no point did I sign her over a would have a case.

I currently hold chat logs, vet registration, tracker details and a letter from the previous owner to confirm she was surrendered to me.

Does anyone have an option on this?

A rescue centre is just that, not a pet hotel.

Think about what you did: You gave the pet away and after a few days you changed your mind and wanted it back.

If this was so simple, millions of pet owners would do exactly the same when going on holiday instead of paying top dollar to a pet hotel.

You gave the rabbit away, they found a new owner.

That's what a judge is gonna see.

A rescue centre is just that, not a pet hotel.

Think about what you did: You gave the pet away and after a few days you changed your mind and wanted it back.

If this was so simple, millions of pet owners would do exactly the same when going on holiday instead of paying top dollar to a pet hotel.

You gave the rabbit away, they found a new owner.

That's what a judge is gonna see.

Thanks for the reply,

That's a interesting aspect to look at it.

The situation was only 17 hours and I did offer to pay all costs at the time.

You are right that there are alot of cases of what you said above, I bet it happens alot.

If this was so simple, millions of pet owners would do exactly the same when going on holidayicon instead of paying top dollar to a pet hotel.

Except they'd have to sign the animal over which didn't happen in this case.

Except they'd have to sign the animal over which didn't happen in this case.

This is true and they have confirmed that they get everyone to sign to say if a rabbit is being surrendered.