Signing off for 7 days rapid reclaim process UCvJSA

trebormoinet
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2646 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I will be travelling abroad for 7-10 days and will be signing off, I am on old style JSA and want to avoid if possible making a fresh claim for UC and make a rapid reclaim for JSA instead upon my return.

Would it not be the case that if I signed off from JSA for one week to go overseas then I would need to make a claim for housing benefit due to a change of circumstances to cover me for the period I am on zero income.

So I make my housing benefit claim immediately after I close down my JSA claim.

Therefore I cannot go on UC due to me awaiting a desicion for housing benefit ?

If you've applied for other benefits

You can’t get Universal Credit if you've applied for any of the following and you're waiting for a decision:

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance

Income Support

Housing Benefit

Child Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit

Thoughts ?

Can you speak to your work coach about whether your claim can remain active whilst you are on holiday?

There was a time where a claimant could take up to two weeks of holiday a year whilst they were on Jobseekers allowance.

The rules, most likely, have tightened up, which is why I think your coach would be able to clarify.

Your housing benefit application is going to ask you about your income. So you would either state your monthly earnings in your job, savings or the fact that you are on benefit.

Are you going to state on your application form that you intend to make an application for Jobseekers allowance in a couple of weeks?

In all likelihood, I think you will be migrated to Universal Credit. The policy is to migrate single people across to the new system whenever they have a change of circumstances.You sound like a single person.

If you are claiming with a partner or with children then the system may not be able to support your migration as the full UC service is only active in a limited number of areas.

Your housing benefit application is going to ask you about your income. So you would either state your monthly earnings in your job, savings or the fact that you are on benefit.

Are you going to state on your application form that you intend to make an application for Jobseekers allowance in a couple of weeks?

I am going to report a change of circumstances and will be on zero income and then when I return make a fresh claim,I am single so I'm in the target group for UC however there are gateway conditions and I wondered if this way I would be asked to rapid reclaim jsa

I think that if you were to make a claim for HB you would be directed towards UC anyway as a single non householder as UC has been introduced to replace the income related benefits. IT woudl behighly likely that both the HB and JSA would be declined and you would be advised to claim UC to cover everything.

P.S. Can I ask why you are so against UC? :-)

I am surprised anyone would ask that considering it is a flawed system which is unable to cope with the complexities of the benifit system leaving vunarable people without money upto and beyond 12 weeks,leaves them in rent arrears with the knock on effect that landlords are expected to absord the consequences. No holiday entitlement,unlike JSA no 2*14 day illness it 2*7 for UC and if I am not mistaken no budgeting loans a vital lifeline for some people, and if sanctioned under UC you have to pay back any finacial help unlike JSA.