tax credits saying we owe them nearly £3k

snowdragon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I just got yet another letter from tax credits saying we owe them nearly £3k!

They have already got our totals wrong and wrote back to them last week with new totals, this came today and is dated 9/6/16

It says I get over £8k a year,, wish I did, only get a state pension.

The ex claimed tax credits for himself and added me but they were informed of my pension which stated last year, they have our combined income at in excess of £25k!

He is on £7.20 a hour, 45 hour week,,, was on £6.50 till NMW came in, we worked it all out for the years 2015 to 2016 taking into account the NMW and new living wage,

I guess have to wait for them to get the new details that were sent last week but how are we supposed to pay £3k back, we do not have it.

I am shaking and upset right now and the ex is not here!

Sandy xx

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Hi Sandy. :) People in the know should be along later.

Have they shown you the calculations for how they arrived at the £3k figure? If not, I think it's worth asking for them, so you can see what's gone wrong.

I think there will be a solution to this, hang on in there.

HBx

• Confused 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi I just got yet another letter from tax credits saying we owe them nearly £3k!

They have already got our totals wrong and wrote back to them last week with new totals, this came today and is dated 9/6/16

It says I get over £8k a year,, wish I did, only get a state pension.

The ex claimed tax credits for himself and added me but they were informed of my pension which stated last year, they have our combined income at in excess of £25k!

He is on £7.20 a hour, 45 hour week,,, was on £6.50 till NMW came in, we worked it all out for the years 2015 to 2016 taking into account the NMW and new living wage,

I guess have to wait for them to get the new details that were sent last week but how are we supposed to pay £3k back, we do not have it.

I am shaking and upset right now and the ex is not here!

Sandy xx

Calm down and have a cup of tea and something sweet. It is seems to be wrong and you will get in corrected if you persevere,

If you sent new details last week, wait for them to respond.

This tax credits system must be costing a fortune to administer !

At some point you might want to SAR them to get hold of all details on the system and ask them for a full breakdown of all calculations.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

thank you Uncle and HB

The letter got today is dated June 9th! gawd knows where it has been! We resent a letter to them last week as they had already got it wrong, not had any tax credits since April this year, they stopped them.

My pension was just over £5k for 2015-2016 and for next tax year will be arond £6k for 2016-2017, not over the £8k they have said, first letter we got said ex was getting benefits!

He has not had any for over 2 years

You can never understand the jargon in the letters they send you

Sandy xx

ex earned £1544 April 2015 to April 2016 they have got it at over £17k!

and it is a 0345 number of course!

Ex has phoned them, asked about this £3k but was told it was a different issue? they are reviewing what he told them today and should hear from them soon, will take 48 hours to update on their system he said, so just a waiting game yet again

Sandy xx

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

hi HB, the letter has all their sums on it, it said ex had earned over £17k ( he does not even earn that now ) he works 45 hours, correct and I got over £8k in the tax year 2015-2016

which makes we got over £25k in that time period ( I wish ) we have given them the figures he did earn in 2015-2016 wish was just over £15k and my pension of just over £5k, less the £300 you have to take off.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the amended letter back from them and they now say it is nearly £1,500 we owe them and is due now! I do not have that sort of money laying around so what do I do?

Have phoned them and said not able to pay it in one go, got told that until they get the final notice off it and we get an invoice then nothing can be done, once invoice arrives we have to phone them to explain and they will ask you for your outgoings to see what you can afford?

Woman said we can pay some off at any time to help r educe the bill!

Has anyone else had this happen to them please, will they accept instalments as just been reading that they can refuse, I can not get £1,500 from anywhere, my credit and the ex's is utter rubbish!

I do not know what to do tbh

Sandy xx

Play it legally, if you think it is wrong, request a Sar, and wait until responses until you pay, put aside in the mean time what you can afford, keep photocopies of everything, keep off the phone. Most of it is generic..

Have you requested a subject access request, I believe there is no charge with the DWP..

The trouble is, on the phone, you might get told different things by different people, that's why its best to keep everything in writing..

Hi CD, not asked for SAR, they have broke it down on the letter they have sent us, I have no spare money to put aside as most of it is already spoken for.

I was told once invoice arrives is to phone them to discuss payment!

Trouble with all their paper work is you can never make head or tale of it, seems despite being told I was getting a pension they carried on giving us WTC which they now want back

thank you CD :)

Sandy xx

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

scary stuff, Uncle

we are waiting for their invoice, have heard that they can refuse instalments ! hope not as I do not have nearly £1,500 laying around, this also was a blunder on their part

May as well hit your head against a wall!

Sandy xx

Wait for proof. If it is correct, send income and expenses details with offer of instalments. Depending on the situation, offer to pay it over say 2 or 3 years. Don't let them dictate anything. If they argue the toss, make a formal complaint to HMRC and send a copy to your local MP, asking them to refer this to the Parliamentary Ombudsman if necessary. I believe this Ombudsman looks into complaints about central government departments.

I informed them I was getting a pension, they carried on PAYING us £41 a week WTC, they got my ex's annual salary completely wrong and my pension, also said he got benefits!

This was sorted but they now want back the whole years WTC as they carried on giving us the £41 depsite being informed of my pension, it is around £500 a month now as got a slight increase in April.

I will see what the invoice says

Sandy xx

• 3 weeks later...

Well today the invoice has arrived for nearly £1,500

I have written back to them saying how much I will pay by instalments , it asks on the letter to give your bank details etc and NI number

I do not not see why they need to know incoming and outgoings, I feel have made a fair offer off £100 a month.

They have not asked for incoming and outgoings, will post the letter asap.

Can they refuse to accept what has been offered? can not afford to pay it in one go and think what have offered is fair, can not afford any more

Sandy xx

If anyone has any advice or suggestions please let me know as am really worried they will say NO to our offer, I only get a pension every 4 weeks and the ex is on £7.20 a hour, contracted hours is 45, over time is the same pay, he get paid weekly

Rent is £110 a week

Council tax is £123 a month

plus other bills

Thanks in advance

Sandy xx

if you have worked out that you can afford £100 a month, if they have supplied information to pay them, then i would make a first payment, on the basis that they will be accepting your instalment proposal.

Not sure they can say no. If they cause you any hassle, then complain to your MP.

only got the invoice on Saturday, they have not asked for any information as we just wrote a letter back to them saying what we will pay, have supplied details of bank account as asked for in the letter as you are supposed to phone them but my phone is not working and would not be able to record what was said, you have to send them bank details for a direct debit

Can not really afford £100 but thought better make a good offer as bill is nearly £1,500

Thanks Uncle

Sandy x

If you cannot afford £100, you should work your income/expenses details and revise your offer. Rather than a DD, you should have insisted on a standing order, so you are in control.

it says on the letter to set up a direct debit with them, or pay by card,cheque etc, sent letter off so they hopefully get it sometime this week

,just hope they accept

Fingers crossed,

Sandy xx

about time you sent them an free SAR

make them prove their claim.

dx

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I doubt that they would say no to the offer as they are interested in getting the money returned and if the only way they can get it is by instalments then that's what they will do.

However,

do you have any proof that you informed them of the pension as if you do have proof them it would be their mistake and quite possibly they would have to write it off

but, if it was just a phone call then the chances are the conversation would not have been entered onto the system.

This is one of the main reasons why most people giving advice on here would advocate using a signed for postal service which shows that the letter was delivered and there would be a signature from the person who accepted the letter.