Provident - irresponisble lending ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2912 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ,

just a brief question ...

my parents , both over 70 and on pension are both gambling every penny and more on the fruit machines ( though as most addicts do they deny it ) and are regularly taking out Provident loans to support this ...

I reclaimed nearly £2k in bank charges for them which was gone within the month as well as over £2k of Provident loans ... they have been on the phone to the agent again this morning so no doubt more will follow !

I have told the agent several times that they are gambling the money and she said she wouldn't give them any more - but she has ! and keeps 'paying off' old loans to make new ones ( more interest and charges ! )

Do I write to head office as I told the agent I would if she carried on ? Or write to the ombudsman ? This agent regularly helps them make up excuses for why they need the money - including 'doing up the house' despite being told they no longer have any financial hold on the house and that I do all the maintenance etc.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I'm sorry to hear that you're in this situation, the same has happened to us with a family member. Provident and others seem keen to lend to people who can't afford it, on the face of things. Possibly your parents would have enough to live on if they weren't spending money on their gambling.

In our case, we were able to write on behalf of the family member with their written permission. I think where you could struggle is to get Provident to deal with you without your parents agreeing.

Have you tried speaking to Gamblers Anonymous? They might be able to give you some pointers.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum