Legal responsibility from a joint account.

Consumer dude
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3163 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I see. With any joint bank account, the parties are jointly and separately responsible but whether this would apply in your case as you have sued one person, I doubt it as this is usually used by the bank in collecting debts owed to it. My gut instinct is to say no. The other party is not responsible for his court judgement.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I see. With any joint bank account, the parties are jointly and separately responsible but whether this would apply in your case as you have sued one person, I doubt it as this is usually used by the bank in collecting debts owed to it. My gut instinct is to say no. The other party is not responsible for his court judgement.

I did think that but payments were bring transfered to and from the joint account and to which both parties should be aware. Any added comment on the issue is welcome from others..

• 2 weeks later...

No, whilst both joint account holders are responsible for any debt to the account provider, that does not make them equally liable for a judgment debt.

You could try to enforce via a third party debt order if you know the money to cover it is in the bank. That would oblige the bank to pay you direct.