DVLA Shambles - Court Summons

Sunburn1979
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

I'm writing in hope that some one can provide some advise and guidance.

Today we have received a requisition request from the courts to attend court in April for failing to notify the DVLA of 'Change of vehicle ownership'

However, we have the acknowledgment letter and reference number from the DVLA confirming receipt and notification of details being updated on DVLA Records.

Obviously we are going to make contact with the DVLA, should we also send a copy of the above to the Designated Officer at the courts? What if DVLA contest despite us having proof?

Thanks for your time, we look forward to reading your replies..

Regards

Geoff

Yes. Send it to the court too. They would be foist to continue to court but this is DVLA so who knows. DVLA send representatives to court and ask to speak to you first so if they failed to sort it in advance you should be able to sort it then.

You could tell them that if they don't sort it in advance you would ask the court for your wasted costs, which would include time off work, assuming you have a job.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yes. Send it to the court too. They would be foist to continue to court but this is DVLA so who knows. DVLA send representatives to court and ask to speak to you first so if they failed to sort it in advance you should be able to sort it then.

You could tell them that if they don't sort it in advance you would ask the court for your wasted costs, which would include time off work, assuming you have a job.

I'd go into court and get my expenses anyway. If enough people did that they may get the message and buck their ideas up.

I'm strongly with johnjordan on this. I would avoid allowing DVLA to withdraw without giving you the chance to apply to the Court for your costs/losses.

But that's me. I would -

1. Go to Court.

2. Refuse to discuss beforehand with the DVLA person, just saying "we will discuss this in Court in front of the Magistrates". DVLA are there, not to uphold what is Right but to generate income to offset their own budget excesses and inefficiencies (such as you experienced) and provide deterrent stories with which to threaten others which will be lost when you win (a first significant motive for them to settle beforehand). Also, Fines don't go to DVLA but go directly to HMG - (a second significant motive for them to try to settle beforehand).

3.Present your case, as your first post, to the Bench, providing photocopies for each Member (usually 3) plus one for the Clerk and one for the DVLA complainant/prosecutor. He will probably object to the late offering of the DVLA letter but don't be put off, the Magistrates, in seeking the truth, will look at it.

4. When the case is dismissed ask for your costs and expenses. It is all too easy with euphoria or relief to overlook this, so have a prepared 'claim' of actual costs (mileage or fares, photocopy costs, etc) and a time cost/loss of earnings. The time cost will most likely not be ordered as claimed but always worth a try - especially if the Bench is getting upset by DVLA inefficiencies subjecting 'the little man' and the Courts to wasted time. (A third significant motive for them to try to settle beforehand!)

5. Tell us.

But, as I said, that's me.

If enough did this sooner than go wobbly at the knees with DVLA or in a Court building, DVLA might (eventually) mend their ways and provide the proper British Government service to the British public that DVLA gets paid to do, sooner than having to fleece the Public to hide their own inefficiencies.

I like your style JJ and Tony! Excellent plan!! :-D

What's Best for You?

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The only problem i see in the excellent plan is that the DVLA could argue that by not offering the letter sooner, you have avoided an opportunity to prevent the court from having to sit. Therefore you may well have a possibility of having your costs declined.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The only problem i see in the excellent plan is that the DVLA could argue that by not offering the letter sooner, you have avoided an opportunity to prevent the court from having to sit. Therefore you may well have a possibility of having your costs declined.

You may be right, if the letter was from a third party.

But the letter is from the DVLA themselves, so they have both knowledge and possession of the letter, but still went ahead with the court case.

How would the court look upon that.

Im playing devils advocate here.

Judge "Why did you not send them a copy of the letter reminding them that they acknowledged your details?"

You " As i wanted to bring this to court to prove a point and to claim my costs for coming here"

DVLA "If he had sent that letter we would of dropped the case, can we claim costs please as the defendent has wasted court time and costs"

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

You have a point sabre. It could well and truly backfire.

What's Best for You?

OK - I would write to DVLA once (Special Delivery to get a proper signature) telling them to check their incoming and outgoing mail as I not only informed them but they confirmed it.

Then let DVLA do all the running about trying to find it. You have done your bit and, after all, DVLA is a multi million pound government organization with state of the art 'Big Brother' technology' checking on everyone, and now trying to bully the OP into paying for their own inefficiencies.

Then go to Court as my previous post, having pre-warned the local and regional press.