Wescot - Address Verification - British Gas debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I received a letter from Wescot Credit Services last week.

They want me to verify I am the person named in the letter and live at this address.

They say they will presume I am at this address, if they don't get a response by the 25/02/2015. I haven't responded.

I suspect they are chasing me for an outstanding bill to British Gas, around £200.

If I am right that is, then I imagine they will add some crazy charges on top.

At the time, last year in the Spring when I last spoke with BG, I fell out with them. I was having money problems, and mental health issues at the time. They continually called me about paying my bill. I tried to strike a deal with them (over the phone) to pay it off, but they wanted more than I could afford per month. Then I left that rental, and forgot about the bill.

I'm not sure I am happy to pay the bill or not, given the way BG treated me. I imagine I have screwed up my credit record now too. Well, I can compromise and pay a small monthly amount, as long as it excludes any of BGs draconian charges.

This Wescot letter is rather intimidating, but that's the point I guess. I did read another thread on here which sounded similar to my situation. Sorry I can't post a link.

I am now a home owner, if that changes anything.

Some advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by lunarsy
formatting

silly wetcloths

there nowt the or any powerless DCA can do to you

a DCA ..... IS NOT A BAILIFF

and have

NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS.

so let them sent silly threat-o-grams.

tell us about the debt and the dates concerned please

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the super fast reply DX!

The BG bill was just over £200

last I heard. BG always talk about adding £14 for each later payment,

so I don't know what they might want now.

I last spoke with BG in April of 2014.

Haven't received any post from them, but didn't forward my mail either when I left in April 2014, so that's not suprising.

The letter from Wescot is dated 15/02/2015 - I think it arrived on the 16th or the 17th.

did / have you had a bill from them since you left [bG - ignore wetcloths]

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I wouldn't read anything into puerile missives spat out by powerless DCA's, most of their letters ean

absolutely nothing, I don't know why they bother wasting their time, mine all get filed under ignore, after I've laughed at them..

First Utility eh! Out of the frying pan into the fire......make sure you keep these guys on a very tight reign,

they are well known for their abysmal customer service.

Ignore wetcloths, deal with BG direct, and try to come to an agreed payment plan with them, but on YOUR grounds, so YOU tell them what you can

realistically and comfortably afford to pay back each week/month to pay this off.

Don't allow them to dictate the amount you pay.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for the advice Bazooka and DX. You both say ignore them, fair enough, I will do that.

I spoke with BG, they were insisting on having my new address before they can discuss the matter. So I stopped the call. I think if I give them my address they'll escalate things, but not sure. Can't they just discuss the matter without my new address... pains.

The best way to deal with them is in WRITING, tbh for a 200£ debt there isn't much they can do to escalate it, all they're after is a definite address so

they can instruct their powerless DCA's to write to the correct address, instead of sending out their phishing letters.

Have you got their bank details? And do you still have your old account number?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I have their bank details, and the old account number.

If I give them my address, I am worried they will take me to court, or something nasty anyway. I don't know really, never been in this position.

If I give them my address, I am worried they will take me to court, or something nasty anyway.

No chance!

You're attempting to make an offer to pay, this is peanuts, and would cost them twice the amount to even get it to court in the first place....

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't give them your details, after all, you are willing to pay this, BUT, it is on YOUR terms.

Work out your own I&E and see what, if any, disposable income you have left in order to pay this off.

If it's the token legal minimum of £1 a month, then so be it, that is all you can afford to pay, and there is absolutely zero they can do about it.

Get the notion of court out of your head, it is for a poxy amount of pennies, they are NOT going to go bankrupt because of it..

I think I have just about managed to stop worrying about this, thanks to your reassurance that Wescot can't do anything. I'll send a letter to BG over the weekend.

Meanwhile Wescot wrote another letter on the 22/02 - they didn't even wait for their own deadline of the 25/02. They claim I owe over £300! It's funny really, all in red, all serious! If I don't call them they will take further action. Umm, whatever that means!