HMRC plan to scrap £100 fines for late tax returns

Michael Browne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hundreds of thousands of people will no longer be hit with £100 fines for failing to complete their income tax returns on time, under radical government plans.

HM Revenue & Customs has admitted that its penalties regime may be too rigid, and is drawing up proposals to end fines for taxpayers who miss the deadline “by a day or two”.

New rules outlined for public consultation could see people who owe the government tax charged higher interest rates on their debts to encourage them to pay sooner, instead of being hit with automatic fines.

A system of penalty points – similar to motoring offences - could also be introduced so that financial sanctions apply only to people who persistently fail to pay their tax bills.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/tax/11398244/HMRC-plan-to-scrap-100-fines-for-late-tax-returns.html

Not before time.

A few years ago my accountant had all my paperwork ready to submit by 31 January. On the 25th the people he worked through rang to say he had collapsed & died but they would get everything sorted. Spoke to HMRC and their attitude was "we've heard this before you'll get the automatic fines & have to pay them". Managed to rack up £1200 worth of fines until it was sorted but refused to pay in the meantime despite the usual threats. Eventually they relented and scrapped all bar £200 which is still unpaid and now stands at £260 inc interest. They won't & can't explain why. Their procedures are so archaic & had an admission once that 1 tax office cannot talk to another unless by letter or fax.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tax is voluntary. Can someone actually name the law that applies to the tax on labour?

Although the establishment would never hear such a case.

I went off sick in 2012 for two years and didn't get any benefits so I opted out of Income Tax. I haven't filled in a tax form for three years now and I put it in the Conditional Offer & Notice of Terms that I would not be liable to income tax, form filling or penalties. I will not be part of a scheme which takes my money when working then gives nothing back when off sick. It is a breach of contract and as there is no contractural consideration, therefore unenforceable. I paid into the system for 38 years.

And no, there isn't a law which say a human being should pay tax!