Your experience of 'rotweiller' security lights

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Caggers,

I rely on your practical wisdom since I have no family and am pretty isolated.

In brief, I have brain damage causing a platter of symptoms.

My neighbour next door has just installed two ridiculously bright security lights.

They are in the garden and the light stretches half way up the field behind us.

Aside from the light pollution, I walk to the bottom of my garden and cant get safely back The actual lights cause serious pain in my eyes, glare and disorientation.

Migraine, and a flare up of my disease. The contrasting blinding glare with dark periods and shadows in my garden mean my eyes can not adjust and I stumble.

I expect this will be a goodwill issue and co-operation between neighbours as I will not complain. And progress in getting them.on a sensor has been made. I have explained my medical reasons well. However I am very anxious as it was one of the few things left in my life that I could enjoy and gain healing from.

Have you had such an issue? I know its not pointing in a bedroom etc. But O would by far prefer that - I could fix that with black out curtains. I hate feeling vulnerable like this and people blasting there stuff overr their boundaries.

If they want such strong lighting shouldnt they contain it within their own boundaries?

However, I read that not only does this type of security light encourage burgalries, because it allows them to see, by creating this shadow / blinding light contrast in my garden increases my chances of being burgled.

Are there any guidelines available?

Height restrictions For security lights?

Advice for people to keep their security lighting contained within their own boundaries?

Etiquette on wattage etc?

Thanks

This link may be of use: http://www.eastcambs.gov.uk/pollution/light-nuisance

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

We have a strong light in our garden and hadn't realised that it was a bit high and shone into the house behind us. As it happens we know the occupant quite well and when she politely told us it was a problem, were more than happy to put it right.

If you don't tell your neighbour there's a problem they can't know so why not just mention it and ask for their help informally.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

We have a strong light in our garden and hadn't realised that it was a bit high and shone into the house behind us. As it happens we know the occupant quite well and when she politely told us it was a problem, were more than happy to put it right.

If you don't tell your neighbour there's a problem they can't know so why not just mention it and ask for their help informally.

I am sorry. I didn't make my post clearer. I meant that I am not going to complain to the council or anyone. But my neighbour is trying to understand and solve the problem . Although an unsuccessful first attempt. (re-angling).

I am big on diplomacy and non-violent (peaceful) exchanges however sometimes my brain lets me down with cognitive issues. I should like to be even more skilled at it really.

I also am flexible and will do all I can to fix problem from my side.

I am happy to hear you and your neighbour resolved the light issue amicably.

I think in future, should I ever install security lighting, I will ask my neighbours to tell me if there is a problem as I am sure many say nothing and yet it is. And it is easily done, thinking that it is not effecting your neighbours, due to perspective.

I would be tempted to have said nothing however due to the severe effect on my health, I was forced into a corner.

I have pinpointed what I need, due to my health, and that is no light trespass at all. I have lived here for over 25 years and part of the beauty has been the dark, rural aspect.

Is it unreasonable to request neighbours light be contained to their own property?

How are people achieving this when these lights are placed so high?

The distance of the light spans hundreds of feet. Can any clever person recall how to guesstimate / calculate the wattage from this as I forget!

thanks!

I know only too well about this !!

My neighbours flood light lights our conservatory every time it came on.

They have now kindly altered the angle and lowered the wattage of the "bulb" from 500 watts to 150 watts (saving them money)

45 degrees or below is the regulation (90 being horizontal)

I know only too well about this !!

My neighbours flood light lights our conservatory every time it came on.

They have now kindly altered the angle and lowered the wattage of the "bulb" from 500 watts to 150 watts (saving them money)

45 degrees or below is the regulation (90 being horizontal)

It is so nice to listen to other peoples experiences when good outcomes are created. Thanks for sharing.

Very pleased that you got your conservatory back! (And your neighbour saved money)

Its like having a light burgular - I feel like my garden has been stolen from me.

Thats very interesting about the 45degree regulation, Do you happen to know of a link to this?

I have a link of interest to this thread. I will post it below. It states that The Smalls Lighthouse 'only' has a 35 watt light bulb and it can still be seen 21 miles away!

http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/floodlights.html

This is an interesting little article. 500w lightbulbs were BANNED in 2009... but surplus stock is still being sold.

There is a helpful little angle diagram and how to take photos.

The problem I am having, I realise, is that my eyes do not adjust like healthy people. It is the lightbulbs which are visible in several spots in my garden, coupled with the shadows that combine to make things much worse light bulbs cause severe pain and one can not get awau from catching their eye. I checked with a friend however and they agreed it was too strong.

The whole neighbours garden is lit up much more brightly than the image on the '22 degree' angle light (seen by clicking 22 in link)

Hi

I contacted the Local Council and they gave me all the information.

I have just "googled" correct installation of security lights and I think it was about the 5th down. Mole Valley council (not that that is my council)

There is good advice on that site and I would assume that all councils have the same policy

My dad had the same problem in his rural area and the neighbour didn't want to do anything about it.

He wrote to the council and local mp (incidentally interested in environmental health) and they sent a squad of official to assess the situation.

After this first visit and before any report was compiled, the neighbour took down the floodlights.

Anyway, what's the point of them?

Burglars know how to avoid them and usually "visit" unattended properties.

f16 - thanks

A good guideline being produced is to use the lowest wattage, a good 50w being more than adequate for a domestic setting.

Only light up the immediate area around the house stopping light spill. Ideally position security light at 0 degrees pointing straight down so the light bulb can not be seen. Have on a sensor.

It seems that glaring, bright light, especially in rural areas is actually a big advertisement and attracts burgulars. They do not fear it but are happy to be helped by the light as they then do not need a torch. So they are an all round nuisance and they do not even work.

My dad had the same problem in his rural area and the neighbour didn't want to do anything about it.

He wrote to the council and local mp (incidentally interested in environmental health) and they sent a squad of official to assess the situation.

After this first visit and before any report was compiled, the neighbour took down the floodlights.

Anyway, what's the point of them?

Burglars know how to avoid them and usually "visit" unattended properties.

It makes me very sad that a neighbour would behave like that to another neighbour. How can they not take responsibilty for the disturbance they are causing with the light. How stressful for your Dad. Just can not understand people like that.

My neighbour, fortunately is not like that and will be fixing the light soon with a little bit of luck.