iPhone 5s screen clicking

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3606 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I am after a bit of advice, I bought my daughter an iPhone 5s for her 18th birthday at the beginning of May (8 weeks ago).

Yesterday she told me the screen on the left hand side had started clicking. She said she would make an appointment at the apple shop to see what they say.

She has returned from there today with the same phone, The Apple geek has told her that the battery is expanding and getting hot because she is running apps in the background.

My immediate thought was that she has been fobbed off, surely the point of a smart phone is for it to be able to run apps whether in the background or not.

Should I put my angry head on and make another appointment and return to the shop. A hot and expanding battery sounds dangerous to me, I have seen the photo's of iPhone's that have caught fire in the past.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, no jokes about iSheep please, I personally am not an Apple fan boy.

Many thanks.

AS

Idem/ACM and RBS Lombard Full refund of fees.

Blackhorse Car Loan Full refund of fees without argument.

Argos store card (Home Retail Group) are fighting back. see my posts.

Sounds like a fob off to me. The phone is designed to run apps in the background. If there's any overloading caused by background-running apps then the software on the phone is designed to safeguard the hardware by auto-closing those apps.

Therefore, if the Apple shop's diagnosis is that running too many background apps is causing this issue, then in my mind this is an acknowledgement that the phone is faulty as the built in safety features aren't working as designed.

If all iPhone 5s phones had this issue when not closing apps in background then everyone would complain as most people simply don't close apps. IMO you should go back to explain that the outcome is not acceptable and to either repair or replace.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also heard of this phenomenon, as my husband had exactly the same issue on his 5c. He took it back to an Apple store and they replaced the phone due to battery expansion. Apparently as the battery warms due to use, as with all objects its expands, and as a result it pushes the screen up breaking the seal around the edge, and as a result you get a lose clicking screen in the bottom left.

Take it back to o2 or try your luck with an Apple Store, regardless of where you brought it Apple still has to honour a 12 month warranty and a 2 year warranty under EU directive 1999/44/EC.

Sounds like a fob off to me. The phone is designed to run apps in the background. If there's any overloading caused by background-running apps then the software on the phone is designed to safeguard the hardware by auto-closing those apps.

100% this. The phone is supposed to be able to run apps in the background.

This is a faulty battery, and the expanding could be dangerous. Don't charge it as this will as this could cause the battery to catch fire (has happened to people before). Take it straight back to Apple (or where ever you bought it from).

It's only 8 weeks old which will reflect that it is a defect.

...they replaced the phone due to battery expansion. Apparently as the battery warms due to use, as with all objects its expands...

nicolee2931, This isn't exactly correct. The expansion is due to the chemical reactions in the Lithium Ion battery which is producing gas. This is common when they get old, but definitely shouldn't be happening after 8 weeks.

It can happen as a result of over charging or over voltage (iPhone should be preventing this), or a non-genuine knock-off wall charger.

Thanks for all the answers, My daughter did a factory reset as requested by the Apple shop. you guessed it the result was the same, no apps running but it was still running hot.

I took my daughter to the Apple shop (40 mile round trip) and She went through the same routine (different "Genius" ;-)) He advised us that the battery was 100% loaded and overheating, I was tempted to say "no s*** Mr Genius" but didn't, anyway without admitting it was a faulty battery they replaced the phone with a new one, which of cause runs apps and doesn't get hot, they would not however refund my wasted petrol and car park cost.

So the moral of the story if your iPhone 5S battery is getting hot according to Apple it is not faulty, only not working properly, I suggest you don't leave it in your pocket, they can spontaneously combust.

AS.

Idem/ACM and RBS Lombard Full refund of fees.

Blackhorse Car Loan Full refund of fees without argument.

Argos store card (Home Retail Group) are fighting back. see my posts.

Nothing is ever faulty according to apple lol !!

I've seen loads of threads and posts where they outright refuse to admit there are issues. I've even had a member of staff tell me she won't deal with me for insisting on my consumer rights ! She told me 'to take them to court but you won't win as apple is too big and has plenty of money'

The cheek.