Bugs/Viruses/Malware etc

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2564 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

flash needs to be updated again! re security fixes

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/12/adobe_kicks_out_flash_security_fix/

Gamer?

'The software nasty, dubbed Teslacrypt, works in the same way as traditional ransomware like Cryptolocker. It attempts to infect Windows PCs by exploiting a vulnerability in Adobe Flash or Internet Explorer. A victim has to visit a booby-trapped website to get infected, although the malware backs off if it detects the presence of some antivirus packages, or if it's running in a virtual machine.......The new malware also doesn't just focus on documents or images, but encrypts files associated with more than 20 games and gaming services – from user profile data to saved games, maps, and mods. These include Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Assassin's Creed, League of Legends, and Minecraft. In addition, it locks out Steam accounts, and developer tools like Unity3D and Unreal Engine...'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/13/ransomware_video_games/

http://labs.bromium.com/2015/03/12/achievement-locked-new-crypto-ransomware-pwns-video-gamers/

IMO

:-):rant:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will get to the stage that the internet becomes unusable because security software cannot detect malaware. It then remains dormant on peoples systems, until the people behind it want to trigger it to do what they want.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

the recomendations by most of the malware producers is actually to send the infected exe to some of the testing sites

if they warn you that theres a virus in it - re-infect it and try again

if it says clear then send it out

the free tests are working against themselves

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

'Just when you think macro malware is a thing of the past, over the past few months, we have seen an increasing macro downloader trend that affects nearly 501,240 unique machines worldwide..........We have seen majority of the macro-malware attacks in the United States and United Kingdom.'

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2015/04/28/social-engineering-tricks-open-the-door-to-macro-malware-attacks-how-can-we-close-it.aspx

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/30/macros_the_future_of_malware_says_microsoft/

IMO

'Lenovo system update flaws plugged, security world not impressed. L is for Lenovo, lax, lackadaisical, loophole and many other words..........Lenovo faces renewed accusations of lax security practices - just three months after the Superfish debacle - after it was obliged to fix flaws in its software update system....'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/06/lenovo_system_update/

'Rombertik' malware; 'Cisco researchers have found new malware that destroys a machine's Master Boot Record and home directories if it detects meddling white hats.....It targets any and all websites, and spreads through an executable screensaver disguised as an Adobe PDF file'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/05/rombertik_malware/

IMO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

time to security update flash, again!

http://www.itproportal.com/2015/06/24/adobe-releases-emergency-flash-patch/

'..Flash is known to be a vulnerable system under heavy attacks by hackers all over the world. As we reported two weeks ago, the number of malware attacks through Flash rose by a stunning 317 per cent in the first quarter of 2015..'

IMO

Time for Flash to go, unfortunately many online shopping carts and PayPal checkouts depend on it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Malvertising

June was the worst on record for such, many may have been infected by the Angler Exploit, sent via Azure, which hides in fake ads on popular sites. The daily mail site was recently targeted.

Ad networks now promise to do more to protect

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/16/iab_lean_ads/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34541915

IMO

DRIDEX Malware designed to eavesdrop on victim’s computers in order to steal personal information such as usernames and passwords, with the ultimate aim of breaking into bank accounts and siphoning off cash.

Unlike some other malware, known as “worms”, Dridex does not spread on its own. Instead, the victim must be specifically targeted for the initial infection email by the virus’s authors.

Once installed, Dridex has a significant amount of control over the user’s computer. It can upload, download and run programs, as well as snoop on internet browsing by directly looking at network traffic and by taking screenshots of the browser window. The malware also adds the computer to the wider Dridex “botnet”, which allows its controllers to communicate with the infected computer through others.

Users should ensure that there computers anti virus protection is Up to Date and NEVER open any attachments in unrecognized emails.

READ MORE HERE: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/14/what-is-dridex-how-can-i-stay-safe

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Ad networks now promise to do more to protect

...[/url]

it is hoped. its no wonder ad filters/blocks are used. i just turned them off to see having used them for years, and went on a few sites. blimey, to read one article that contained about 2 paragraphs i had to scroll down about a mile. :lol: so intrusive, left right and centre, popping up!

and then there is the downloading which may effect those on lower speeds/download limits.

and then the malware...

some sites need to make money from ads to survive. but, unless revised/securer, keep on filtering/blocking the ads :)

IMO

anyone know what has replaced adobe flash player please. I need something to play games it seems as just been on Big fish to play a game I was playing this morning only to find the screen is yellow and also a game on face book has stopped working. I use chrome with Windows 8

Thank you

Sandy xx

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

thank you andy, seems I already have the latest version which is, 19.00.226

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

have reinstalled it but some games not working, they were this morning!

anyone know what has replaced adobe flash player please.

Sandy xx

html 5 is one solution (see the earlier posted links). but, it depends on what the site uses. for eg utube site uses both flash and html5, and can be set to use the latter. most browsers now support html5.

flash is a mare. since andy's post just above, flash was updated again to the version you mention.

re your flash problem, try the flash uninstaller then reinstall the latest flash on to up to date chrome. also check the plugins in chrome ensure only one flash is there.

and, double check chromes site checker is not 'yellow' blocking the site. good luck.

IMO

• 2 weeks later...

re ads; they seem worse on tablets/phones. went on the mirror site on a tablet, an ad popped up the whole screen. the site/tab was just closed straight away, so they lost the viewer.

ironically, an ad blocker blocker was recently hacked http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/02/pagefair_malware_snare_scare_in_halloween_hack_of_adblocker_blocker/

IMO

adblock plus is good & ad remover for chrome, I have them and they work

• 4 weeks later...
adblock plus is good & ad remover for chrome, I have them and they work

i looked at that re fox, seems ok. but am trying ublock origin, seems pretty good and light on resources. i dont like google chrome anyway, so wont be using that browser.

one thing re adblock is their (voluntary opt in) acceptance of 'some' unobtrusive/non bandwidth(data) hungry ads, which seems ok. some sites need the revenue. its just that most sites now are just OTT and invasive, ruining the browsing and exposing users to poss malware re auto loading and click ons.

IMO