"Evidence of a credit check"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3672 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner and I are in the process of applying for a rented property in Glasgow. This particular agency has asked us to "provide evidence of a credit check"...

We both have a couple of defaults but no IVAs, Bankruptcy orders or CCJs. As I understand, since they are not a lender, letting agencies are not privy to defaults if they carry out their own credit checks.

The wording on the letter specifically doesn't ask for a "credit report" but is there any other way to provide "evidence of..." without mailing them a credit report from Experian or similar?

They also have a £200 holding fee which they will return if we are rejected but not if we withdraw application. At the end of the day, if they don't accept our credit score and return the fee then fair enough but I don't want to reveal all the skeletons in our closet if it's not legally required.

This isn't something I have come across before. Most letting agents take glee in relieving you of a substantial sum to pay for them to do their own credit check.

You are right to be cautious. Maybe a call to the letting agent is in order to find out what alternatives there might be? You can always feign ignorance about doing your own "credit check".

I suppose I'll have to submit my credit report but can they keep the holding fee if I don't pass their credit check? I know they can reject my application but since I don't have CCJs, etc it's their own decision not to let if they don't like the fact I have a couple of defaults?

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose I'll have to submit my credit report but can they keep the holding fee if I don't pass their credit check? I know they can reject my application but since I don't have CCJs, etc it's their own decision not to let if they don't like the fact I have a couple of defaults?

OK they left a voicemail saying we need a guarantor. We don't have one. How do I go about getting holding fee back, if at all possible?