Advice on friend moving in my house....

Bambilegs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3703 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need some advice on a potential new living situation.

My best friends boyfriend is due to be deployed to Afghanistan in the next couple of weeks and we've discussed her moving in with me for the period he's away (6-9 months). We've lived together before, and get on great, its more about me supporting her through a rough patch this year.

I'm not asking her to pay anything towards the house, not the mortgage, bills or anything. Literally just her food, and I will monitor the bills, so if they go up, i might ask for a small amount in a few months time.

My question is, do i have to notify anyone? My initial reaction would be the council for tax purposes, but she's not actually going to be classed as living there. All her post will still be directed to her parents, and her home address will still be listed as such.

She already stays with me quite a lot, so just kind of making it a 6-9 month long sleepover almost.

I want to do everything by the book, so if I have to notify anyone, i will. Any advice?

Thanks.

If you are claiming council tax reductions (single person, low income, etc), then yes, you should inform the council.

If you are claiming benefits such as JSA, HB, or CTR, then any contribution towards bills could be seen as "income". HMRC may show an interest in this notional "income" and want their cut...

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks for your advice.

I'm not claiming any benefits, i work full time, and fully support myself on my monthly wage.

I thought I might have to inform the council, which I can do and my friend will pay the difference.

Could informing any companies be a detriment to my homeowner status in any way?

Is there anyone else I'd need to inform? Since she'd not really a tenant or a lodger i'm supposing I dont have to inform my mortgage company?

Thanks for your help again

Her home address is where she actually lives. Main home and secondary residence.

If she sleeps at yours at least 4 nights per week, it is her main home address. Stating on paper main address as her parents' address is misrepresentation which may account to fraud and if found out, criminal conviction.

From the post it sounds like OP's friend will be visiting parents every now and then but not living at parents'. No need to visit to pick up post as it will be redirected so even these visits are not 100%. What if they live 100s of miles away..

I would declare everything as it is stating you do not charge rent or for food but split the utility bills and she buys her own groceries.

On the envelope of the letter I got from my council it says DO NOT REDIRECT so Royal Mail will not do so. It is about my housing benefit claim so authorities have measures in place to avoid fraud by misrepresentation.

Not saying OP intends to commit fraud but why not declare friend living at hers if it is for several months and as a main residence? Saw a case up here in which DWP decided that 2 female friends living together were not declaring living together as partners and made them out to be lesbians which came as a shock to the flat mate as they were straight as ever. Flat mate was not even interviewed about the alleged benefit fraud case before decision was made. Not making it up, seen it on this site.

So better declare things immediately as they are in detail in writing using recorded delivery.

Thanks for the further information.

This is sounding a bit complicated now. Her parents live about 2 seconds up the road from me. Her moving in isn't about anything else but support while her boyfriends in Afghan, and when he gets back they're buying a house together. She didn't really want to change addresses or redirect post or anything.

We both work full time and don't claim any benefits at all. We pay all our bills, and taxes. What kind of fraud would we be guilty of?

I will definitely inform the council tax, and we will pay that in full. But who else would I need to tell? Since we're self sufficient and don't need any government help, i didnt think I'd have to inform anyone else?

And as I mentioned before, i want EVERYTHING to be above board and legal. I'm just unsure of the process as it's a strange situation (i.e, she's not really paying as not lodging/renting)

Any further info would be appreciated.

Please ignore post #4 above - it's alarmist and does not apply to your situation since you neither of you are claiming benefits. As you note, what fraud could you be suspected of?

As already noted, you must inform the Council Tax people. No-one else springs to mind.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thank you for your assurance. I thought as much, I can't see there being any real issue apart from the council tax.

I'll notify the council and get my friend to pay the difference. Hopefully there shouldn't be anyone further to advise.

Thanks for everyones help.

I'd be inclined to write to council tax & advise them of the situation & let them make the decision if your house is treated as her principal home.

She's lucky to have such a great mate! I hope you have fun together & her boyfriend is home safe & sound soon x

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

Some mortgages state owner occupiers only [as opposed to rent to buy]. Allegedly some mortgages do not allow DSS tenants as insurance is higher in those cases.

Owner occupier can have a lodger if informing the mortgage company so on that basis why couldn't she have a friend staying for a few months.

I misunderstood the redirection, it seems, and ended up being an alarmist.

I'd be inclined to write to council tax & advise them of the situation & let them make the decision if your house is treated as her principal home.

She's lucky to have such a great mate! I hope you have fun together & her boyfriend is home safe & sound soon x

Thanks so much for your advice, and kind words. We've been friends for 26 years, and she's been so brave about him going away. I'm just trying to look out for her as much as I can, and hopefully the time he's away will go quick for her and he'll be home safe! Thanks again! :) x

Some mortgages state owner occupiers only [as opposed to rent to buy]. Allegedly some mortgages do not allow DSS tenants as insurance is higher in those cases.

Owner occupier can have a lodger if informing the mortgage company so on that basis why couldn't she have a friend staying for a few months.

I misunderstood the redirection, it seems, and ended up being an alarmist.

Thanks for the advice. I think i'll call my mortgage company, and the council and check everything through first, then I can discuss with her the details and when she can move in etc.

Thanks everyone.