Friend Just Started New Job 3 Weeks HMRC Emergency Tax

Daniel182
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I recently bumped into a good friend from the past, around 2007 bereavement happened within his family, and his nan left him money. He ended up moving round the UK and parts of Europe living with new age travelers.

Anyway he recently started a job, but his company he works for is putting him on emergency tax has he did not have a P45. Can anyone advise to what he can do? so he can stop paying emergency tax and claim back what he's overpaid.

Thanks

Hello there.

This is normal for someone who doesn't have a P45 and a tax code, as I understand it. It should all come out in the wash, but obviously his net income is affected at the moment.

If he has a good payroll department at work, they are the best people to ask or failing that, the HR department. I'll have a look at the HMRC website and see if there are any other bits of information.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Unfortunately there is not a great deal you can do to speed up the process, the wheels of government move very slowly, and at this time of year can grind to a halt completely. Its likely that the correct tax code will not be provided until the New Year, but the good news is that if the tax has been overpaid in the intervening period then it will usually be an immediate repayment of the overpay.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

In regards to the information in the post when i first kicked off, i need to straighten it up a bit, i added wrong info or should i say the info the person in question gave me did. Never the less here goes.

The person in question thought he was being charged emergency tax has he did not have a P45. Turns out the HM Revenue and Customs have fined him £1200.00 for not paying tax previous year.

Already stated, he was traveling around at this time + he had taken out two weeks from traveling to do a two week car body and welding course at college.

Once again. I would be extremely grateful for any help or advice for this problem, recovering money taken by the HM Revenue and Customs, and stopping anymore payments.

Thank you

There must be more to it than that. He needs to contact HMRC to find out what the £1200 relates to as the personal allowances for 2011/12 and 2012/13 were:£7,475

£8,105

respectively

If he earned less than these amounts then his tax should have been £0.00