Work Programme Claimed they Found Me Work When They Didn't

DGriffins
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3831 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a 0 hours contact where I perform 8 hours or less per week for a business, it's a good rate of pay but not enough to cover the £71.50 per week every week.

I don't claim any other benefits and most weeks I get £10 in JSA if I don't get extra hours and I've been doing this current job for several months. OK so it's a 0 hours contract but it's work, I enjoy it and it keeps my hand in so to speak, I also volunteer several days a week.

I'm actively looking for alternative work and any casual jobs that come up I go on them but as I've not secured anything permanent in the past 15 months so I've just been put onto the Work Programme with Maximus and subcontractors.

I've never been so demoralised in my life as when I went to the first interview. It was awful, they slagged off everything they could and kept mentioning sanctions. Theyt added every time they couldn't actually make a sanction, that was someone elses fault, but rest assured they could recommend it for anything they see fit so do as you are told, although in my case it's hardly a major threat. I had to tell them about my current employment. This was earlier in the week.

The day after the interview someone from the subcontractors called my manager and started asking all sorts of questions. It was really embarrassing and then she insisted on talking to me and had nothing of importance to say. Then couple of days ago I received a letter from Maximus congratulating me on my new job?

I don't have a new job I'm still on the 0 hours contract.

It stinks of Maximus or their subcontractors trying to falsely claim tax payers money for finding me a position when they haven't or an adviser trying to bump up their numbers of people into work.

I did not sign a Data Protection Waiver although they kept putting on plenty of pressure (mentioning sanctions they don't have anything to do with but they can tell JCP I'm not complying with something else in order to ensure I get a sanction). I did sign a sharing information document (big mistake) for which I'd now like to withdraw consent.

I'm not sure how to go about this and do I make a complaint directly to Maximus or to the subcontractor? I don't want them falsely claiming money for something they haven't done.

I'm sure DWP will be interested in what's going on...

Not really. This is standard shark practice from WPP's and DWP couldn't care less.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Put it in writing that you withdraw consent for Maximus and subcontractors to store and process your personal information. Also send a note to the DWP that you object to personal information being passed on to third parties & subcontractors - The information held by the DWP should only be used for processing your claim and payment of benefits.

Depending on the relationship with your manager, he/she could write a very snotty letter stating that any further contact would be regarded as harassment which is a criminal offence. If nothing else, it interferes with his/her legitimate business and should incur a substantial fee even if no information is provided.

You could also send a complaint to your MP stating that the unwarranted activities of Maximus & subcontractors is tantamount to fraud and is jeopardising your prospects of continued employment.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Definitely complain to the DWP as they're the WP's contractors; they can send in investigators to check the WP is abiding by their guidelines and they can remove the contract too in extreme cases, such as fraud. The DWP process the WP's submitted paperwork regarding claiming job outcome payments and even if the claim is genuine they have very strict guidelines which the WP has to comply with.

I'm sure the DWP would be very interested in any cases of fraud - if it's costing them money then they'll take it mores seriously than any other kind of complaint. Always remember the DWP call the shots and the WP complies, not the other way round.

As per related thread on the unemployment movement forum, the WPP's don't need your consent to be paid by the DWP.

If you really don't want them to contact you or your employer, when you sign off JSA you should say you quit because of personal circumstances.

Addendum: if you feel they are bothering you, call them and ask them the name of their data controller. Don't give up until you have his/her name. Then write a complaint to their data controller and cc: the branch manager. What the managers fear the most are internal audits.

Thanks San_d.

I'm not complaining because I don't think they should ever be paid for anything, if they genuinely help me back into full time sustainable employment and they have supported me throughout I've no objection, it's cheaper to pay a few grand to get someone into permanent work than to keep them on benefits long term. Not that I'm costing anyone a fortune in what I receive but the administration costs etc add up besides I don't want to be shelved as a pointless waste of space.

I just don't think it's right or fair that the Work Programme are claiming money for something they haven't done. I'm not trying to avoid the Work Programme and spend my time in non-compliance of everything, I welcome help if it is there. I have to say the help is not apparent at the moment it was a truly dreadful experience I do not wish to duplicate. What I am trying to do is stop them from harrassing my current and any future employers and myself and ensure they are being honest with their clients, the DWP and the general public who pays for it all.

I'm taken aback by the speed they have acted to grab at any potential money, it's pure greed and proves they are not in it to help people but to grasp money as quickly as possible. This isn't a wake up call for me, I see similar cases in terms of no help, sanctions for stupid reasons that should not have been a mandatory act in the first place and particularly targeted at vulnerable people, but less than 24 hours to make false claims of finding employment from first interview must be close to a record time.

Some readers may think it's all just spitting into the wind but I work in a social policy field, it takes some time but the more people stand up and complain, bring these kinds of behaviour out into the light the systems will eventually have to change. It just takes a lot of patience and more people to understand their rights. It's just difficult knowing who to complain to, what your rights actually are as opposed to what we perceive they are or are not and the processes to take.

I just wanted to make sure I was getting it right and publishing my experience and question to a wider audience as it might help am and someone else some day.

Thanks for the addendum, very useful!

I think everyone feels the same way - if the WP has actually helped you get a job, or at least solidly improved your chances of getting one then they should be paid. The problem is that they see everything they do as a source of payment and as they're a business, that aspect comes first and any benefit to the client comes a very poor second.

It's all about image too; they'll 'improve' your CV whether it needs it or not because it all counts as 'things they've done to help you'. They'll send you on useless courses too, which you're already over-qualified and over-experienced in (happened to me) because they get paid for it; any actual benefit to the client is just a happy coincidence.

It ticks boxes and makes a satisfying read for the DWP and the Government who'll say 'My, the WP is really helping people, isn't it!'. The reality - as the published figures show - is rather different, with the vast majority still being unemployed at the end of their 2 years, despite the wild promises of getting everyone into work within this time.

Sad state of affairs when we have to read up on the rules and constantly challenge and correct the people who are supposed to be helping us - and that applies to the Jobcentre too.

As per related thread on the unemployment movement forum, the WPP's don't need your consent to be paid by the DWP.

If you really don't want them to contact you or your employer, when you sign off JSA you should say you quit because of personal circumstances.

As I read the OP, DGriffins already had a job (albeit a zero hours contract) when he or she was referred to the WP, and the provider seems to be attempting to claim an outcome payment for finding that job.

That's fraud by any standard, and certainly worth informing the DWP about

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Contact labour's Margaret Hodge MP, chair of the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee. She has been a vocal critic of the WP and A4e in particular.

http://margaret-hodge.co.uk/contact/

Radio 5 Live Investigates could be worth a shot too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tl99q

I contacted BBC R5L around four years ago about the then New Deal and A4e. They had a similar investigative program hosted by Donal McIntyre at the time. They took up my concerns and made a program around them. I put the broadcast on YouTube. Some of you may have heard it before:

it seems the only language such companies truly understand is a sent in their profits or national embarrassment. because it seems precious little support will come the way of the DWP who are falling down on the job when it comes to keeping an eye out for such abuses. Jobseeker complaints are one thing. However, the DWP need to be constantly ensuring that even the most minimum standards are being adhered to.

Very true Jasta11 I feel for people who have no income outside the benefits system as they are totally stuck with it.

Thanks Antone! I've written out a complaint to the DWP, local MP, Data Controller at the WPP and the WPP manager and Sub contractor manager.

Thanks TFP, I'll send copies to Margaret Hodge and Radio 5 too!