Getting a passport?

Merker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right section, had a look though and there doesnt seem anywhere else to post it.

Just trying to get my first adult passport. Decided a few months back I was going to have a few holidays overseas, so of course I would need to get a passport. Complete horrified at the requirements as it seems like this government are forcing us to stay in this country.

Problem 1:

I have to send my mothers birth certificate and mine to them. As quoted from the government website "You must send originals - photocopies or certified copies won’t be accepted". Problem.... I only have a "certified copy" of my birth certificate. I have never seen my original birth certificate, perhaps it was even accidentally thrown away years ago. I'm not sure if my mothers is just a "certified copy" either. I know my fathers name wouldnt be on mine... but would that matter?

Problem 2:

Countersigning. Is that essential? I barely know any people but I have gone through the list of who can countersign and have already asked people who match that criteria. Either they don't have a passport or haven't known me long enough (So have refused to sign the form)

This is really irritating me as I just want to have a few visits overseas before it's too late. At this rate I may as well just rip the forms up and forget about the idea :(

Ring them and explain they are pretty good at sorting things out.

're fathers name not on birth certificate write a letter covering the reason why that's what I was advised to do re my son as his fathers name isn't on his

all the best

To be honest wouldn't you rather it not be easy to get a passport for security reasons?!

From what you've said it's not the end of the world aby will only take a small amount of effort from you and it'll be worth it when you're on holiday.

It might be worth a phone call to check what Conniff is saying. This is from the passport office website.

'Certify a document as a true copy of the original by getting it signed and dated by a professional person, like a solicitor.'

My interpretation would be a photocopy, but it's only an interpretation.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

We do genealogy and have a lot of BMD certificates and they are all marked as such. I can't see how they can refuse one if they come directly from the GRO. There must be millions of people who haven't got their original document because it's been lost/destroyed somehow.