Dogs and travelling

citizenB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3866 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have 2 dogs -

JR - 2.5 years old - absolutely adores travelling in the car. Has a proper canine seat belt and will sit for hours just looking out the car window. .

GR - nearly 8. For the first 2 or 3 years, she was ok in the car. For some strange reason she suddenly threw a wobbly and even on short journeys now, it is like having the MiL in the back of the car - she does nothing but moan and whine. She too has always had a proper canine seat belt so it isn't that. Could it really be something as simple as having changed the car around that time and she doesn't like the new model ?

We always plan our journeys so there are plenty of comfort breaks and they get a good run at each stop.

TBH, I don't really know whether the GR just wants to get where we are going .. and is only exhibiting impatience or whether she is stressed - how would I tell?

I have once tried a spray - sprayed into the car - which was supposed to help, but didn't :(

It has become so stressful for ME, that if we plan a long journey, she gets to stay with her original owner/breeder as a house guest, but there is a time coming up fast where we will need to take her with us as the sitter is not going to be able to have her.

Any suggestions please ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes, that's the one HB.. it didn't work.. .either there or on the way back :(

Have sent an S.O.S to J&W :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Will she get in the car willingly, or are you having to coax and cajole her to get in?.

No problem getting her in the car at all, Jackie.. This is why I am so confused.. she is first out the door and in the car without any problems. She sits nicely waiting to be attached to her seat belt. The minute the engine starts is the minute she starts with the moaning !

BCOBS

Ok, so the concept of the car is fine for madam then! Have you changed from a petrol to a diesel or vice-versa? And, if you were to have someone stand her next to the car whilst you started it up (before she gets in) what is her reaction to that? Will she willingly get in if the engine is running?

We need to be detectives with dog's I'm afraid, so much easier if they could speak! (Or rather, how much better it would be if we could understand them!)

Always been petrol so no change there. The car is a lot quieter and smoother than the last one we had as well.

I will go an experiment with her standing by the side of the car as it is starting up.. BRB.

BCOBS

Phew, righto.. Well hubby got in and started the car up - I was standing with GR to the side.

She started huffing and puffing and pulling on her lead to get in the car - so I opened the door, she jumped in - I strapped her in and hubby has taken her for a short trip.

Will update when they get back !

BCOBS

Ok, we've established its not the car then! LOL. I don't believe it could be anxiety either, after all the willing way she throws herself in. So that leaves you with excitement and anticipation. I suspect she's telling you to bloody put your foot down on the pedal and get there a bit quicker mum!

You say this car is quieter. Is it at all possible that she was doing this before and you just didn't hear it?

Now, can you control this dog with eye contact? Because, I want you to make eye contact with her in your mirror, if she starts as you go along, and make the firm command that you use elsewhere to get her to stop barking, whining, being naughty, whatever. Try it before you set off, in the car, engine running. Whinging starts, make the eye contact, try the command, and of course, when its successful, what a good girl. (And remember when driving along the praise will have to be verbal! or you'll have an accident).

If you have your dog clicker trained, you can try this method as well, fix the clicker to your keyring. Don't forget though, again the praise will be verbal only as you can't be giving treats as you drive along.

I spent the last 8 years of my first collie's life, with him poking his nose through the dog guard in my estate car, mouth jammed into a perfect "0" howling and whooping and squealing all the way to his walk! I know how distracting this can be, when trying to drive, and its no good getting cross and yelling either, it makes it worse.

Try these simple things first off, if no success there's a few other things to try!

Oh yes, and by the way, after her walkies, is she doing this on the drive home as well?

Ok, we've established its not the car then! LOL. I don't believe it could be anxiety either, after all the willing way she throws herself in. So that leaves you with excitement and anticipation. I suspect she's telling you to bloody put your foot down on the pedal and get there a bit quicker mum!

You say this car is quieter. Is it at all possible that she was doing this before and you just didn't hear it?

Now, can you control this dog with eye contact? Because, I want you to make eye contact with her in your mirror, if she starts as you go along, and make the firm command that you use elsewhere to get her to stop barking, whining, being naughty, whatever. Try it before you set off, in the car, engine running. Whinging starts, make the eye contact, try the command, and of course, when its successful, what a good girl. (And remember when driving along the praise will have to be verbal! or you'll have an accident).

If you have your dog clicker trained, you can try this method as well, fix the clicker to your keyring. Don't forget though, again the praise will be verbal only as you can't be giving treats as you drive along.

I spent the last 8 years of my first collie's life, with him poking his nose through the dog guard in my estate car, mouth jammed into a perfect "0" howling and whooping and squealing all the way to his walk! I know how distracting this can be, when trying to drive, and its no good getting cross and yelling either, it makes it worse.

Try these simple things first off, if no success there's a few other things to try!

Oh yes, and by the way, after her walkies, is she doing this on the drive home as well?

I think you might well be right Jackie. Hubby said the minute he was off the drive so she started. He let her out at the fields for a good run, off lead - she then headed back to the car - so this was her choice to get back in the car. However, she wasn't so mithering on the way back !!

Needless to say, the JR was a bit ticked off cos he didn't get to go on the trip :lol:

Yes, we are able to control her with eye contact for most things.. so will start doing this in the car.

We have been thinking back, she does tend to mither more at traffic lights and when we slow - less so when we can speed up a little.. I am comforted that it could simply be that she is impatient - I truly hated the thought of her being "stressed".

I am also thinking that most of the journeys that we do make with her in the car, actually end up somewhere that she likes. A walk along the river bank where she can have a swim.. National Trust forestry land where there are lots of new smells. Could she really know where she is going ?

Will do a test drive over the weekend. If we plan a route that allows us to go fast/slow etc. One of us can take notes whilst the other drives.

Thank you Daniella, if the plan above doesn't work.. I will give that a go :)

BCOBS

I always think the alsation type dog can be a bit "skittish" "exciteable". I know they are incredibly brave and loyal as well, and maybe I say "skittish" as they appear as though they are on guard all the time (and boy can they move when they mean it as well!). I'm not surprised to hear this about this in an otherwise normal healthy and loveable dog. This type of problem is very often all about energy, excess of it, and the burning off of it.

After all, she's clearly learnt where each walk is taking her. I bet if you look back at her when you slow down and flick the indicators on, she will be alert and interested, and most probably leaning the same way as the car is turning, her ears are up, eyes shining and I expect nose dripping with excitement!

Taz, (I should be shot I know, I don't tether him, he's on the front seat of the old Ford KA everywhere we go!) when we get near somewhere he knows to be a good walk, if I don't tick him off, he'll start somersaulting through the middle of the front seats and back again.

Let us know how you go on. And the JR? Well she'll probably punish you for today by removing the postmans leg tomorrow morning! LOL We love 'em don't we?!

Let us know how you go on. And the JR? Well she'll probably punish you for today by removing the postmans leg tomorrow morning! LOL We love 'em don't we?!

Oh lordy, I hope not.. have only just managed to get him to turn his back on the postie :lol:

BCOBS

Easy fix. Take your dog out more in the car. If he likes going for runs in a field, drive there. After a few days theyll think theyre going there whenever theyre in the car.

Soon theyll get so used to it, theyll jump straight in, sit down and be quiet until they get there.

Did this with my collie when he was little and he loves travelling in the car now as he knows when he gets in hes always going somewhere exciting.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Imp, they go out in the car every day - the fields they have their walk/run in is a good 15 drive each way. Sometimes we take them further to vary the places they go. It is the longer journeys that we are having major problems with.

BCOBS

Taz (collie) knows all the good local walks, to the point that when we reach the turn off for the country park, if we are NOT going there, he waits to see if I flick the indicator, and if I don't he curls up on the seat in disgust! Now, if we are getting near to somewhere he knows, he'll go on the back seat and sit behind me for all the world telling me to hurry up!

I like going out into the darkest depths of Dorset for a good old ramble and complete isolation (good for the soul). Obviously Taz doesn't know where we are going, but when we get off the main roads, and into the country lanes, he's alert, tempted to somersault but won't cos I tell him off, tongue hanging out, eyes on stalks.

And yes, CB, your girl most likely does know every local area you take her, GS's are right up there in the brains department! Watch her, and then take her somewhere she hasn't been before, and see the difference in her behaviour!

And that's the way renegade certainly, if the dog worries about getting in the car, do it again and again, until dog understands the car is a wonderful place, and ends in a good old run!

I am heading out to a place called Lysombe this afternoon, never been there before, apparently its an abandoned medieval village with the chapel still surviving, and its somewhere around the Wessex Ridgeway. It'll probably kill me as its hilly. Where is everybody else going for the regulation weekend march with the dog? LOL

I am heading out to a place called Lysombe this afternoon, never been there before, apparently its an abandoned medieval village with the chapel still surviving, and its somewhere around the Wessex Ridgeway. It'll probably kill me as its hilly. Where is everybody else going for the regulation weekend march with the dog? LOL

This sounds like a nice spot, Jackie.

We will be going to the National Forestry commission land in Woodhall Spa, tomorrow. Lots of bushes and trees and erm.. squirrels !

Madam is a Golden Retriever, I think I might have mistyped which led you to believe she is a German Shepherd :(

We discovered on our trip this morning that if we creep over 65 mph she shuts up !. How do I make her understand that speed limits are rigorously enforced and any speeding fines will come out of HER money box ?? :lol:

BCOBS

I've had the same problem for years with my wife.

I think I'll try letting her off the leash and give her a run every so often and see if that works!!

I shall tell her you said this :lol:

BCOBS

It might just be she doesnt like long drives anymore.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Taz (collie) knows all the good local walks, to the point that when we reach the turn off for the country park, if we are NOT going there, he waits to see if I flick the indicator, and if I don't he curls up on the seat in disgust! Now, if we are getting near to somewhere he knows, he'll go on the back seat and sit behind me for all the world telling me to hurry up!

I like going out into the darkest depths of Dorset for a good old ramble and complete isolation (good for the soul). Obviously Taz doesn't know where we are going, but when we get off the main roads, and into the country lanes, he's alert, tempted to somersault but won't cos I tell him off, tongue hanging out, eyes on stalks.

And yes, CB, your girl most likely does know every local area you take her, GS's are right up there in the brains department! Watch her, and then take her somewhere she hasn't been before, and see the difference in her behaviour!

And that's the way renegade certainly, if the dog worries about getting in the car, do it again and again, until dog understands the car is a wonderful place, and ends in a good old run!

I have been investing in some small art works by a Wildlife / Nature Artist, Lauren Bissell. She has painted some amazing Dorset scenes. You are very lucky if you are in that area. :)

BCOBS

It might just be she doesn't like long drives anymore.

There is that, Imp... I have to admit, I don't like long drives any more, either :lol:

BCOBS

CB - yes erm....... indeed re the squirrels! My dog whisperer friend absolutely will not allow it in any dog she rehabs = she says it starts their prey instinct off and they have problems enough already. I suppose she's right, if the dog is guilty of having someone by the seat of the trousers its probably best they learn not to chase anything! LOL

However, don't they love it? If I say "squirrels izem?" Taz goes nuts, goes round in circles, barks his head off and rolls his eyes round. And if we see one, he goes loopy until he's chased it up the tree. If there's one up the tree and he spots it, he stands underneath barking at it to make it stay up there. Oh let him have his squirrels, so long as he doesn't present me with a dead one!

Ah so madam is a goldie then. And absolutely loves her walks and knows precisely where you are going everytime! And the anticipation of all those squirrels is what the noise is about. Just you saying about the squirrels, and I can sort of picture her in action now!

CB - yes erm....... indeed re the squirrels! My dog whisperer friend absolutely will not allow it in any dog she rehabs = she says it starts their prey instinct off and they have problems enough already. I suppose she's right, if the dog is guilty of having someone by the seat of the trousers its probably best they learn not to chase anything! LOL

However, don't they love it? If I say "squirrels izem?" Taz goes nuts, goes round in circles, barks his head off and rolls his eyes round. And if we see one, he goes loopy until he's chased it up the tree. If there's one up the tree and he spots it, he stands underneath barking at it to make it stay up there. Oh let him have his squirrels, so long as he doesn't present me with a dead one!

Ah so madam is a goldie then. And absolutely loves her walks and knows precisely where you are going everytime! And the anticipation of all those squirrels is what the noise is about. Just you saying about the squirrels, and I can sort of picture her in action now!

This is exactly what both mine do..

BCOBS

I know I'm lucky living here - born and bred. I go all over the County, walking about, and now I am trying to write some of these walks up myself, so others can enjoy them.

We don't have any motorway here and we don't want it neither!

But there are many beautiful places all over the UK, its just that I always know when I'm home if you know what I mean! I suppose Dorset is dramatic, chocolate box pretty, historical, and Enid Blyton, with a lot of farmers!