Motability for new driver

irishderry
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3902 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, my mother is currently in receipt of high rate mobility allowance and has asked me to complete my lessons in order to get her out and about a bit more. I have just passed my test last week and was now looking to go get a mobility car but a friend has told me that you must hold a licence for 2 years or more before you can become a named driver. I have checked the motability website but I cannot see it anywhere. Does anyone know if this is true? the purpose of me doing my test was for this reason and I would be dissapointed if I spent £1000 on lessons for nothing.

Hi and welcome to CAG

Firstly, you haven't wasted 1K as you now have a full licence :whoo:

Having looked at the motability website (as you have) I can also see nothing. I will continue looking around.

Can I ask how old you are?

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Even on the RSA website (the insurers of the vehicles) there is nothing to say a new driver cannot drive a motability car. It has to be noted that they do allow young disabled drivers to have a car so I can't see a reason why they should refuse you.

Why not ask them directly

0845 456 4566

Or you could contact RSA directly

0500 37 37 37

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

I'd be interested to know what they say. I'm fairly certain that it isn't a problem, but I'm not 100%. The motability agreement would be in your Mother's name anyway, so we're just talking about a named driver so RSA would be the first people to contact. Once my sister passes her test I'll be having her as my named driver and I'm under the impression this is not a problem. I'm also fairly sure I can give her basic driving lessons and RSA are ok with that. I was going to contact them shortly to confirm.

One thing to bear in mind is that motability do have a rule regarding how far a named driver can live from the agreement holder. I think it is five miles. This isn't hard and fast as they will make exceptions. In my case my sister lives ten miles away but we are in a very rural area.

I'd be interested to know what they say. I'm fairly certain that it isn't a problem, but I'm not 100%. The motability agreement would be in your Mother's name anyway, so we're just talking about a named driver so RSA would be the first people to contact. Once my sister passes her test I'll be having her as my named driver and I'm under the impression this is not a problem. I'm also fairly sure I can give her basic driving lessons and RSA are ok with that. I was going to contact them shortly to confirm.

One thing to bear in mind is that motability do have a rule regarding how far a named driver can live from the agreement holder. I think it is five miles. This isn't hard and fast as they will make exceptions. In my case my sister lives ten miles away but we are in a very rural area.

It is 5 miles but they do make exceptions in some cases as in your case, this shouldn't be a problem

Hi

As the Scheme is run by Motability I would contact Motability direct and ask them the question.

Also have a read of this Motability link and read the part "Would you like to add a driver?"

http://www.motability.co.uk/understanding-the-scheme/eligibility/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi there, my mother is currently in receipt of high rate mobility allowance and has asked me to complete my lessons in order to get her out and about a bit more. I have just passed my test last week and was now looking to go get a mobility car but a friend has told me that you must hold a licence for 2 years or more before you can become a named driver. I have checked the motability website but I cannot see it anywhere. Does anyone know if this is true? the purpose of me doing my test was for this reason and I would be dissapointed if I spent £1000 on lessons for nothing.

Hi, I'm currently also looking for a car on mobility for me to drive for my mother and a 18 year old driver who has just passed his test. When you go on to the main motability site, click on " car search", at the bottom tick the box for "only display cars suitable for under 25". This will eliminate cars which you cannot drive.

I am still looking for a vehicle, the best thing to do is make a list of a few and then ring the garages direct and ask for the person who deals with the motability cars, just confirm it with them that you will be able to drive it.

In total you are allowed to add 3 drivers to the policy. You add 2 at the time of ordering the car and then once you have the car you can add another driver by ringing up the insurance but for this driver you will have to pay the price the insurance quote.