Insurance Index linked or not?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am having a problem with my insurance company and a claim. They are pointing to a clause that says that a particular item isn't covered for index linking and won't pay the value it was insured for because of this clause. I have discovered they have been increasing the insured value for it each year, is this not index linking?

So which is right, they pay me less for wear and tear or the index linked full value?

But should they have been doing this index linking for the item in the first place if their own clause states differently? They have been getting more insurance money as a result!

All policies include a clause that some items will have a deduction for wear & tear in the event of a claim. This is usually clothing and linen. When you provide details of the age of the item, they will make a percentage deduction using their guidelines.

Your cover is per the Insurance contract you were issued with. If you are unhappy the policy booklet will contain details of the complaints procedure and that is what you should follow. Put a complaint in writing, asking for the basis of settlement to be reviewed. Give them any information which you think justifies a better settlement. Someone I know had a lot of designer clothing stolen and they managed to negotiate a better settlement.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the reply, will do that.

Should they have been increasing the value for the items?

They will index link the sum insured, as per the policy terms. It is up the policyholder to adjust the policy to the sums they think reflect the risk.

Are you saying that you specified an item. e.g Mink Fur Coat at £2000, which was then index linked ? If this is so, then you have cover for the amount shown as specified under the policy. If you did not specify an item, then the normal terms of the policy apply..

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Yes, they were specified and the insurance company increased their value each year but now saying that because of the type of items they were then they say the other clause applies instead

Yes, they were specified and the insurance company increased their value each year but now saying that because of the type of items they were then they say the other clause applies instead

That is not my experience. If you specify an item at say £2k, you are paying the premium for that level of cover.

Suggest a complaint and advise them that you will involve the FOS if you have to, as you believe that a wrong decision has been made in regard to a specified level of cover for an item.