National hunter records

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3009 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'm not going to apply until it's gone anyway, but that does make sense!

Ok let me know how you progress please.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Yes once I hear back re the offending record, I'll let you know. Should I start a new thread or post here?

Please keep it all on this thread.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Copy that.

They've had 10 days from the date it was delivered so far and I haven't had a dicky bird from them. I plan to take a firmer line from the 14th day. Whats the best course of action? If they still don't respond, can I take them straight to court to force it's removal?

Up to you FOS may not be interested my research points to these 'markers' as not causing any problems.

Hey Brig (or anyone really), just a quicky..... Right now I think I'm going to complain to the ombudsman using their form and a covering letter and forward copies of the lot to N Hunter and Barclays (on the off chance they reread it and pull their fingers out). What do you think?

Hey Brig (or anyone really), just a quicky..... Right now I think I'm going to complain to the ombudsman using their form and a covering letter and forward copies of the lot to N Hunter and Barclays (on the off chance they reread it and pull their fingers out). What do you think?

Yes that's fine, just keep the complaint as simple as possible, copy in all parties.

Financial Ombudsman Service

South Quay Plaza

183 Marsh Wall

London

E14 9SR

25/06/2013

RE: Barclays Complaint

CC: N Hunter LTD, PO Box 2756, Stoke on Trent, ST6 9AQ

Barclays Bank PLC, Customer Response Team, Leicester,LE87 2BB

Enclosed: Appendix 1 - Screen print fromBarclays Bank PLC application from

Appendix 2 - Copy of financial statement,2007

Appendix 3 - Copy of financial statement, 2011

Appendix 4 - Copy of financial statement,2012

Appendix 5 - Copy of National Hunter record XXXXX

Appendix 6 - Copy of National Hunter record XXXXX

Dear Sir,

I have complained to Barclays Bank PLC and received a totally unacceptable response. I was told yesterday that they are issuing a finalresponse.

In XXXXX 2012 and XXXXX 2012 I applied for banking facilities with Barclays Bank PLC. The applications were never responded to, i.e. I never received an acknowledgement, nor an acceptance or rejection. However, in late May 2013, it came to my attention that Barclays Bank PLC had recorded two ‘refer’ status searches with National Hunter Ltd, which is a fraud prevention database. ‘Refer’ is the most serious level of status that can be recorded on the database. The statuses were recorded on thebasis that I had given a ‘false time at address’ and had left ‘undisclosedaddresses’.

My complaint is fourfold:

1. The application form is worded and laid out in such a way that I would be unable to produce anything other than a ‘refer’ status.

2. Barclays recorded these statuses without making any attempt to clarify any discrepancies.

3. The three credit reference agencies make a distinction between ‘linked’and ‘previous’ addresses, Barclays do not.

4. The fraudulent activity that this record prevents is zero. The detrimental effect on my life is massive.

First, a little about me. I have been in full time education for over XXXXX years and in that time have made use of several houses for short-term accommodation.However, I have deliberately kept my banking information, mobile phone contracts, student loan accounts etc. at my fixed, permanent, home address (i.e. my correspondenceaddress given above). Occasionally, I have found it necessary to move certain products and services to these temporary accommodations. Examples include car insurance, driving licence etc. for parking permits.

Please also keep in mind that XXXXX University has 3 terms totalling 27weeks, meaning a minimum of 25 weeks were spent at my fixed, permanent, homeaddress. Also please keep in mind that I played rugby for a two clubs in XXXXX and I travelled to XXXXX on a Friday and back to XXXXX on a Sunday or Monday as many as 15 weekends in the year.

1. The Application Form

I refer you to Appendix 1, a screen print from the Barclays application form. The form asks for current address. As with all my banking information, I used my fixed, permanent, home address (my XXXXX address). Incidentally, I had no access to any temporary accommodation anywhere from early 2012.

The form then asked me what date I’d moved into the address. Any answer other than XXXXX 1984 is incorrect, simply because I moved into the house in XXXXX1984. I have enclosed (Appendix 2, 3, 4) financial statements proving my unbroken residence at my Blackpool address for at least the last 6 years. The Barclays employee that I spoke to at 17:24 on 24/06/2013 told me that I should have entered the last date that I had access to temporary accommodation. I know that this cannot possibly be the correct answer. It would be untrue. The Barclays Employee (XXXXX, Customer Relations Manager) is advising me to put incorrect information on the application. She advised me to manipulate my factual information to fit their form.

If I had used my temporary accommodations, I would have precluded my XXXXX address, which is the address that is registered with the Credit Reference Agencies as holding all of my financial accounts. XXXXX and BarclaysBank PLC cannot seriously expect anyone to do that?

2. Clarification

As already mentioned above, Barclays Bank PLC made no attempt to clarify the discrepancies. A simple phone call or letter would have cleared this up before we got to the complaints and ombudsman stage. This would have saved Barclays Bank PLC a lot of time and money writing letters and making hour-long phone calls. This would also have saved me a lot of hassle, stress and upset. As things stand I would be hampered or prevented from accessing any kind of bank account, mobile phone, mortgage, some insurances etc. until 2018.

XXXXX told me that Barclays cannot respond to every application so they reject the application and record it as fraud rather than investigate. Surely Barclays cannot expect to be able to act as judge and jury and recordfraudulent applications AND reject all complaints and appeals, however reasonable.

3. ‘Linked’ vs ‘Previous’

XXXXXtold me that it is impossible to live in two houses at the same time. She also decided unilaterally which of the two addresses I officially lived at when I had access to two. The Credit Reference Agencies use ‘linked’ aswell as ‘previous’ addresses for a reason. I decide where I live and when. I have lived in XXXXX since 1984. If Barclays Bank PLC wants to know if I’ve had any access to any other address, they should ask it on their form and not treat it as a lie by omission.

If there was somewhere to record ‘any other addresses’ or ‘linked addresses’ on the form, I would agree that not disclosing them would be a lie by omission. I know that this is extending the point I am making to its limit, but I also have two dogs and I once went to Germany. I am not committing fraud by not entering this into my application form.

4. Fraud Prevention.

The National Hunter database is a fraud prevention database. ‘Refer’ is its most serious status, ergo Barclays are alleging that fraud has been committed. As you can plainly see, it has not. My answers were correct. Not just ‘technically’ correct, but factually correct, morally and ethically correct and any other answer is incorrect. Fraud HAS NOT been committed. The further frauds that have been prevented are zero. I am not a fraudster.

However, I am now hampered or prevented from accessing any financial product, including savings or basic bank accounts because of these records.These records serve no good whatsoever. That this or any institution can record these without evidence and then pay no attention to honest, reasonable appeals is a travesty.

In conclusion, the undeniable facts of this complaint are:

1. There exist two records on the National Hunter Database, namely:XXXXX and XXXXX.

2. They were recorded by Barclays Bank PLC.

3. These records warn other institutions that I have committed fraud or attempted to open an account fraudulently.

4. As I have plainly proven, backed up by financial statements from 2007 onwards, I have not committed fraud or attempted to open an account fraudulently.

5. Barclays Bank PLC have the power to remove these records.

6. Barclays Bank PLC refuse to remove them on the basis that I should have entered other, incorrect, information into the application form.

I have already put this case to Barclays and I was met by an uninterested employee who was unwilling to listen to what I had to say. She repeatedly tried to put words in my mouth. On three occasions she told me she would refer this back to the decision makers and on three occasions she then rescinded this offer. She then told me she would issue a final response.

I am writing to The Financial Ombudsman Service in the hope that something can be done to remove these records.

Yours faithfully

Edited by nobbyblobby

National Hunter processes and cross references credit applications and alerts the potential lenders to any discrepancies on applications fro individuals these discrepancies will flag a 'refer' alert for to check the application more carefully, these markers are NOT the a basis for declining an application.

Check out their website before spending money.

• Confused 1

Do I assume you think this is 'a bit much', Brig?

Having dealt with credit reference agencies both privately and professionally for many years and quite a while here on CAG I have never known an NH 'refer' tag be the cause of a credit refusal, if an app is all doubtful the potential creditor may or may not refer to NH for 'backup' to confirm their own suspicions.

CRA data per se forms only part of the approval process, all lenders have their own unique methods of 'rating' applicants.

I have known people with considerable wealth and excellent ''credit scores' to be declined.

My personal opinion is NH will have no deleterious effect on your ability to obtain credit whereas many others things that are often considered of no consequence will.

Cheers for the input, Brig. I can see what you're saying 100% and in the short time I've been on CAG I've come to respect your insights and opinion greatly. HOWEVER, I'm plain sick of these huge faceless companies recording whatever bullshine they like. Perhaps I've lost perspective a bit but I do feel like it is defaming my name to record any kind of negative information that isn't correct.

I explained clearly to them the situation and I made it totally obvious that I'd done no wrong. It's within their remit to remove them, they serve no benefit to man nor beast and they could potentially hurt me.

I know it could look like a crusade but like I said I'm properly peeeeed off.

Has this had any impact on your ability to obtain credit services now or in the past?

Like I say, I know what you're saying but I still fell strongly that I want them gone.

My guess is that NH will continue to justify the markers as being only an alert to a potential creditor to just recheck an application, not unreasonable imo.