Tesco..Contaminated Fuel?

odydog
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

also, i see as you say, red d is just the dye re tax purposes?

so, what different grades are there re diesel cf petrol? or is there none, and it just depends on what ****e/residue is in the diesel that ends up effing up the system?

Edited by Ford

IMO

:-):rant:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Q7 will finally start but Audi now need to to carry out quality check test drives to ensure no further problems will occur and to clear out the system. Pending the outcome of these tests my car should be ready for me to pick up next Thursday. .. Estimated total cost of repair £10,500 !!!!

10k? It's cheaper to buy a new engine and drop it in.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi... Just filled up with Unleaded at Whitehaven (Cumbria) Tesco's. Got a mile down the road before the spluttering, juddering and loss of power kicked in. Never looked into the issue before, but having researched, will be buying BP from now on! AA man here now so fingers crossed!!

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone had any problems with fuel from tesco? Apparently i am the 4th person to breakdown and also had purchased my fuel from tesco. Awaiting correct diagnosis until i write complaint! Just wondering if anyone else has had problems.

Hi - yes I have also had a problem with Tesco diesel being contaminated. My car broke down 20 minutes after filling up with a full tank of disel from Tescos. Garage diagnosed contaminated fuel but Tescos will not take responsibility as no one else has complained! - Lancashire

Hi - yes I have also had a problem with Tesco diesel being contaminated. My car broke down 20 minutes after filling up with a full tank of disel from Tescos. Garage diagnosed contaminated fuel but Tescos will not take responsibility as no one else has complained! - Lancashire

keep at them, with the garages diagnostic report. they prob know it could be their problem as they have previously been found to have supplied dodgy fuel. btw, was it tescos supermkt or one of their esso garages?

IMO

• 5 weeks later...

You should report it to your local Petroleum Officer who probably works for Trading Standards. He/she could go and check the records at the site and see what the level in the tank was and when deliveries occurred etc. You never know, there may have been other complaints.

I can confirm this Shells new V Power Nitro+ fuel is so much better. I was having engine knocks to my car and a sound I was told its the cheap fuel Asda and Tesco sell and it can only be fixed by using higher Octane fuel.

I started on Shells 99 Octane fuel and believe me when I say my car is a different animal altogether!

Good luck !

Second this.
I've used premium shell fuel for 3 years and my 15 year old car is a clockwork and you won't even know that it's on when idling.
Leave supermarket fuel where they belong, in their tanks

• 1 month later...

As a motor engineer,

I can tell you that contaminated fuel is a very common problem.

Why do you think it's cheap ?

Some supermarket fuel is not the same quality as a branded product e.g: Shell, BP etc,

even when the fuel is delivered to the supermarket in a branded fuel tanker.

£9,000 to fix a motor due to poor quality fuel . - I don't think so !.

The only thing I can think of is the driver filled a diesel car with petrol ?.

In this case, a main dealer will change the fuel tank, fuel lines and the other parts of the fuel system.

This is because diesel components are not designed to have petrol on them and things like rubber seals can bloat up and block the system or cause running issues.

Keep us posted,

I'm intrigued !

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested to know if anyone has had contamination problems after filling up with diesel from Tesco, specifically in Stockton on Tees. One of our cars has filled up from this Station EXCLUSIVELY since March 2013 and we have had a bill from the Main dealers to drain the fuel tank due to contamination. Tesco are denying any liability and are insisting there has been no other complaints which is strange since we can prove beyond doubt, with receipts and mileage records, that the fuel was exclusively from this Fuel station.

Funny enough Chrislee I received a text from my sister last night telling me to avoid Tesco diesel as they are mixing bio diesel with the diesel and its ruining cars. She works for a dealership in Durham and has had a few cars in this week all filling up from Tesco.

We have avoided supermarket fuel since we filled up at Asda and 20 miles down the road it lost power. We only use BP or Esso now.

Thanks for that. The more we research this, it becomes abundantly clear that the Official Dealerships and anyone who has had these issues are indicating that Supermarket fuel stations sell inferior fuel. I am told they contain a 10% element of biodegradable's to reduce the price.

The message is clear, if you OWN a vehicle, keep clear of the Supermarkets

I have had contaminated fuel, it was found to be nearly 17% bio-fuel when analysed, I too bought the diesel from Tesco. I would be interested in anybody else who bought fuel from Dereham in Norfolk during late October. I am around £2,500 out of pocket as things stand now. Thank you

• 1 month later...

I filled my car up at Tesco Biscester last Friday (10 Jan 2014). It turns out the diesel was contaminated with petrol and I have trashed my engine. (The contamination was enough to damage, but not enough to stop the car running.) Has anybody else had an issue in the last week, from this petrol station?

• 1 month later...
I am interested to know if anyone has had contamination problems after filling up with diesel from Tesco, specifically in Stockton on Tees. One of our cars has filled up from this Station EXCLUSIVELY since March 2013 and we have had a bill from the Main dealers to drain the fuel tank due to contamination. Tesco are denying any liability and are insisting there has been no other complaints which is strange since we can prove beyond doubt, with receipts and mileage records, that the fuel was exclusively from this Fuel station.

Hi Chrislee

I was exactly the same as you (filling up exclusively at Stockton on Tees Tesco ) and had two cars need fuel filter replacements in Nov/Dec 2103 - one of my cars needed the filter replaced again before that tank of fuel was used so bad was the diesel! The two garages I took them to said they had had around twenty or thirty cars each, all with the same problems. BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme on the 5th and 11th December 2013 should be interesting listening for you! RAC confirmed loads of breakdowns caused by gelling in the fuel and it was reported it is all a known issue with the UK Petroleum Industry Association; the Downstream Fuel Association and the Department of Transport about the refinery's supplying Tesco's amongst others . I complained to Tesco's forecourt and saw a manager. They acknowledged there had been other complaints.They said to write in which I did including my bills which I wanted compensation for. Received a reply back from Dundee saying there had been no other complaints and didn't even acknowledge any of the fuel issues as reported by the BBC. Tescos official stance seems to be routine looking over the internet, tell everyone who complains there have been no other complaints. Den, deny, deny. Newspapers and small claims court next....

I had the same problem today, needed fuel desperately so filled up at Tesco at Handforth Dean in Cheshire, within 1 mile my car lost power on acceleration and is now running very lumpy. I asked a car mechanic at my work about it and he advises that it's probably contaminated fuel. I have just done a quick Internet search and I came across this post. I can't believe Tesco can get away with selling sub-standard fuel. I for one will never use Tesco fuel again, will pay the extra 1-2p per litre and go for Shell or BP.

Hopefully running the fuel down and topping up with some decent fuel will hopefully resolve the problem. I will be taking my complaint further with Tesco.

... I can't believe Tesco can get away with selling sub-standard fuel. I for one will never use Tesco fuel again, will pay the extra 1-2p per litre and go for Shell or BP. ditto, i also will never use their fuel again. mine pinked after their fuel, even though mine can take the min 95 ron! no pinking since using other petrol. seems its not just some of their food which is substandard? no wonder they didn't succeed in america!

Hopefully running the fuel down and topping up with some decent fuel will hopefully resolve the problem. but, if the damage has been done, get a diagnostic?, complain. though they'll prob deny responsibility. I will be taking my complaint further with Tesco.

:)

IMO

Update: Started the car yesterday afternoon to go home and the engine was misfiring badly, the engine light came on also and the car would not rev properly due to the misfiring. I managed to limp home and had the same thing this morning, engine light still on. I decided I would try some Shell Nitro to see if that helped. Within a couple of minutes the engine light had gone off and my car had returned to normal.

I can only conclude that the Tesco fuel was contaminated in some way and my engine did not like it. I will not buy fuel from them again. I will be contacting Tesco to complain about this. I will post back on here if I get any sort of response.

A lot of supermarkets use petrol which is not the same quality as you'll get from a branded petrol station. Why do you think it's cheap ?

:)

they still have to provide whats of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose, its consumer cost is of no issue. if their fuel is not suitable/fit for certain vehicles/generally, then they should say so and warn so.

IMO

• 4 weeks later...

I filled up at tesco Saffron Walden, 12/3/14, at time 10:09 with Diesel, Pump 4. I had driven 400 metres and the car stopped the AA could not get it started, I had it recovered to my garage in colchester after the garage ran tests they found that the fuel was contaminated, (rusty water) in the tank-fuel pump- Injectors, the insurance company have written off the car which is a Land rover on a 03 plate, I am just going to reply to tesco via there complaints proceedure with with a recorded delivery letter stating the sale of goods act 1979. If any one else has had problems at tesco saffron walden on or around this date please let me know

• 7 months later...

Filled up with diesel in Tesco Cardiff five days ago - brand new Audi on second fill.

Within 70 miles it broke down under frightening circumstances on motorway.

No warning lights and AA/Audi could not diagnose a fault.

Did call Tescos who were supposed to call me back,

instead they have written today and denied any responsibility

"as no one else has complained" and "Over time sediment can build up in the tanks".

Main dealer believed it to be fuel related,

stating fuel smelt slightly different,

not as strong as diesel normally does etc.

They drained and replaced fuel filter and the car runs fine again.

I cannot believe Tesco dismissed our complaint out of hand without ringing me to discuss

or even waiting for a garage report.

Any advice appreciated or am I flogging a dead horse.

Have asked garage to put their findings in writing.

I only want the cash for my wasted fuel and my company wants its garage costs back.

They would want an independent laboratory report on the fuel and even then they would probably dispute it, saying that it could have been a problem with fuel in the car already or a problem with the car that already existed.

If you had suffered a considerable loss, it may be worth spending money on getting evidence to support a claim against Tesco.

You could instead make a report to local Trading standards based at your local council and they may carry out a test of the fuel at the Tesco store, if they think it is necessary. They do carry out tests on occasions, but this may be only be to do with the fuel pumps to make sure they are giving accurate fuel amounts, rather than the actual fuel.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread