Cash Converters

Yukiko
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4097 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

On the 8th of Feb I bought a Compaq Presario CQ61 laptop from Cash Converters in Colchester, Essex.

As soon as I got it, I had trouble getting the charger to go "All the way home" and charge the thing, however, it worked when you gave it a wiggle - I've had this before and it didn't phase me a bit....

However, tonight, as usual, my laptop's battery went dead after about an hour and I plugged it in to chage and no matter what I did, it wouldn't go. I've tried two different "Kettle Leads" into the same transformer and guess that the wire somewhere between the Transformer and the laptop has gone (The Transformer still gets luke warm when plugged in).

Where do I stand on this? CC offer a 60 day warranty, and I know the battery isn't covered, but I don't have the ability to charge it to remove my files and send it back - IF I did, I'd have to have it wiped as I work in conjunction with the MOD and there's some mildly sensitive e-mails etc on there.

Are they obliged to fund a new charging cable under the SOGA? Or refund me the whole amount and take it back? Am I entitled to have proof that the thing has been wiped when I take it back, if it gets to that point?

I'm a bit cross, but I need a working computer for work.

All responses greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Does the white light come on next to the port when you plug it in? If it does then the dc port and your adapter are fine. I would then suspect the battery. Best way of testing is to try another company or hp charger, with the same circle connection (some of the dells work that use a round adapter). That should help you figure out if its the battery, adapter or dc socket (bit on the board that your charger plugs into).

If your struggling to get hold of spare charger, take your laptop to pc world/Currys or similar style store and ask if they can try one of their chargers in your laptop to help narrow it down. Good news if it doesn't turn out to be your charger, they aren't expensive and cash converters should kick up to much of a fuss to replace it.

What warranty do they provide with your laptop? 12 months?

Thanks for the reply :)

The light by the port doesn't come on so I suspect it is more than likely the transformer.

I've added more to my post above. Either way then you should be covered by your warranty with them. Even if it was battery though, I'm guessing they would still need to provide some cover on it, despite being consumable.

Thanks for the reply!

60 Days "Warranty"... But I'm sure SOGA states "Reasonable lifespan"... Which for a 6-9 month old laptop can't be 3 weeks... Haha.

I'll give them a bell Monday and see what they say.

warranty is in addition to SOGA, forget the warranty

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

Have to agree the Warrenty is an Extra so to speak and does not overide the SOGA.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group