'Single' Tax Credit Overpayment Query

What should I do?
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have read a number of stories on here from people in the same situation as me so hope someone can help!

I have received a letter saying that my 'single' Tax Credit claim has been selected for checking & they have found that my husband has always been on the Electoral register at my address (the mortgage is in joint names which he pays along with the Council tax so I didn't realise him being registered here would cause such a problem).

I can't prove that I was single during my 2011/2012 claim so have resigned myself to the fact that everything I have had since then will have to be paid back.

My husband has been back since July 2012 which I know I should have told them about earlier but kept putting it off to try & get our finances sorted before the money stopped, stupid, I know.

Now that Tax Credits know he is living here will they query the time before 2011/2012? (I can't prove he wasn't here & they have Electoral records to say he was registered at this address so now I'm worried they will investigate previous years & assume he was here then aswell).

2011/2012 was the highest amount of Tax Credits I was paid due to low earnings in 2010 (I was in & out of hospital so unable to work my usual amount of overtime). Will they look at what we would have been paid as a joint claim & deduct it from what I received or will they just want all of the payments back which by my calculations is approx £8000 plus £5000 for this year (we aren't entiltled to any money now as a joint claim).

I also have an IVA that runs for another 2 years aswell so any extra cash I earn goes to them - do the Tax Credit office take the IVA into account?

Has everyone been charged the £3000 penalty fine?

Does it have to be paid within 30 days (this is what they told me when I called)?

Has everyone been charged interest on their overpayment?

I'm worried about how to find the money to repay them aswell as cover the bills that I used the Tax Credits for, ie, food & heating.

Even though my husband is living here now we don't have any extra household income as his wages are used for the mortgage & council tax which he has always paid (since he moved back his earnings have dropped by 60% from what they were a couple of years ago so things are already tight).

Any help with answering these questions would be great as the longer it takes for the Tax Credit overpayment letter to arrive the more I worry that they are looking into previous year's claims.

• 3 weeks later...

hi i dont have a lot to say really about it other than I am in exactly the same situation. didnt tell them my hubby had moved back as i was trying to sort finances out, it didnt work im now on an iva too which is such a relief as it is a fresh start and i can see an end to it all. drafting a letter admitting my guilt hoping they will be easier on me. reading other peoples posts in similar situations helps. I cant offer any advice other than you arent alone